Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Trainee August 2017 intake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 sinead_166

I really thought I was doing good the past few months ... but the laSt 2 weeks I've been going to a personal trainer and I can see a major difference ... my push ups are quicker and not as sloppy... the only thing I'm dreading is the running so we're working on that for the next 2 ish weeks... flew threw everything else determine not to fail at the last hurdle haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

"A total of 143 trainee gardaí passed out of Templemore today, of whom 45 were female and 98 male.

The probationer gardaí were the ninth group to have been admitted to the Garda College since training resumed following the public service recruitment embargo.

The group included 12 non-Irish nationals, from England, Poland, the Netherlands and Scotland.

The Dublin Metropolitan Region is being allocated 67 of the probationer gardaí; 29 are going to the Eastern Region; 10 to the Southern Region (all in Cork); 21 to the South Eastern Region; 11 to the Northern Region, and five to the Western Region (all in Castlebar, Co Mayo)."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tánaiste-wants-an-abortion-referendum-next-year-1.3059865?mode=amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

D Trent wrote: »
    "A total of 143 trainee gardaí passed out of Templemore today, of whom 45 were female and 98 male.

The probationer gardaí were the ninth group to have been admitted to the Garda College since training resumed following the public service recruitment embargo.

The group included 12 non-Irish nationals, from England, Poland, the Netherlands and Scotland.

The Dublin Metropolitan Region is being allocated 67 of the probationer gardaí; 29 are going to the Eastern Region; 10 to the Southern Region (all in Cork); 21 to the South Eastern Region; 11 to the Northern Region, and five to the Western Region (all in Castlebar, Co Mayo)."

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/tánaiste-wants-an-abortion-referendum-next-year-1.3059865?mode=amp

So 7 dropped out or were deferred..well if I am correct in saying 150 started back in Sep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

rocky911 wrote: »
    So 7 dropped out or were deferred..well if I am correct in saying 150 started back in Sep?

Could also be kept back by a training sergeant on one of the modules, I know the upkeep of your fitness is strict down there for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

D Trent wrote: »
    Could also be kept back by a training sergeant on one of the modules, I know the upkeep of your fitness is strict down there for example.

or acting the bollix..which happens a lot ha! Ya big emphasis on fitness these days which is no harm to be honest. Hopefully will set the tone for the remainder of the career.

Surprised at how many bodies still going into the South Eastern region as they seem to get members with each intake and 67 to Dublin. Cork have only got 25 probationers since 13.. and lost 4 to Dundalk too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lodgeroad

I have my sergeant interview tomorrow. I was just wondering is it a suit and tie or informal? Also what questions do they ask?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Lodgeroad wrote: »
    I have my sergeant interview tomorrow. I was just wondering is it a suit and tie or informal? Also what questions do they ask?

People say the sergeant interview is informal and that a shirt and trousers will suffice.:)

Most assuredly suit up for the meeting with the superintendent. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Keeper34 wrote: »
    Got an email about attending the open day in the college to get an idea of the physical. I'm having trouble getting off work for it. Is it mandatory? Are you considered to have taken yourself out of the running if you don't attend?
    There'll surely be more open days as there's so many potential recruits, right?

Thanks.

My advice would be make it your business to go, the reason you were sent an email is your obviously part of the next batch to be called for PCT, the day is very useful and helpful, I personally wouldn't recommend missing it as there may not be another before the time your called if you get me.. Call in sick if you have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

suit up man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRHBLwpASw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

"Dress for the job you want, not the one you have"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Blahtoblah

Anybody know when references are usually contacted? I have all stages completed about a month now but references haven't been contacted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Blahtoblah wrote:
    Anybody know when references are usually contacted? I have all stages completed about a month now but references haven't been contacted

I may be wrong but it was my understanding that the sergeant whom you meet as part of the vetting process contacts them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pip92

I passed my physical re-test 2 weeks ago so im really hoping for August intake, might be wishful thinking :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Pip92 wrote: »
    I passed my physical re-test 2 weeks ago so im really hoping for August intake, might be wishful thinking :P

What campaign are u from? If all is clear you should be good depending on OOM

What campaign are u from? If all is clear you should be good depending on OOM
    Im from Jan 2016, Im hoping so my OOM is in the 800's

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

PCT coming up in May, under 200 from the September 16 campaign. Hoping for August just as long as vetting doesn't decide to take a long walk and come back in a years time :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Congratulations! Was your re-test within 3 months or how much after the 3 months was it, if you don't mind me asking, and did you get much notice?

Elliot192 wrote: »
    Congratulations! Was your re-test within 3 months or how much after the 3 months was it, if you don't mind me asking, and did you get much notice?
    Thank you, it was just before the 3 month mark and I was given two weeks notice, but the date I was given I was unable to attend they were very good at rescheduling it to a time I was available and I was given a months notice for the rescheduled date :)

Thank you, it was just before the 3 month mark and I was given two weeks notice, but the date I was given I was unable to attend they were very good at rescheduling it to a time I was available and I was given a months notice for the rescheduled date :)

Nice, well hopefully your waiting game will soon be at an end. Fingers crossed

mutter_man wrote: »
    Nice, well hopefully your waiting game will soon be at an end. Fingers crossed
    Thank you, hopefully the vetting wont take forever

• Advertisement

Thank you, hopefully the vetting wont take forever

Can only hope, although it hopefully hasn't been moving too badly this last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 js2017

Blahtoblah wrote: »

The sergeant I met contacted my personal, Garda and professional rederences and asked them to submit written references for me but I don't know if that's something every sergeant does or not to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4 niallc16

From the jan 2016 campaign rang today for the first time just to see what the story was and still doing background checks so god knows when i will get in as i have had my physical finished since 12th Janurary.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Its definitely a waiting game think it will all boil down to bloody vetting praying for August myself missed out on May :mad:..

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Blahtoblah

js2017 wrote: »
    The sergeant I met contacted my personal, Garda and professional rederences and asked them to submit written references for me but I don't know if that's something every sergeant does or not to be honest

Do you know how long after your meeting with the sergeant they were contacted?

Marksy8429 wrote: »
    Its definitely a waiting game think it will all boil down to bloody vetting praying for August myself missed out on May :mad:..
    Oh for sure, the vetting holds so many people up. fingers crossed we get August

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

That's great, fingers crossed for august. My daughter waiting on a date for retest, she had it in march but failed the bleep test

• Registered Users Posts: 16 js2017

Blahtoblah wrote: »
    Do you know how long after your meeting with the sergeant they were contacted?

He phoned my garda reference within an hour of the meeting and the other ones in about 7 or 8 days as he was off for 4 days from the day after i met him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

Henry2006 wrote: »
    That's great, fingers crossed for august. My daughter waiting on a date for retest, she had it in march but failed the bleep test

how is she getting along? fighting fit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Sd82

Anybody have any advice on the best way to train for the bleep test. Currently doing 5/10 km interval runs every 2nd day but unable to practice a bleep test as have suffered a groin injury playing Hurling but should be good by the end of next week.The rest of the test will be no issue so just worried about the bleep test. Have the test on the 20th of May

Advertisement