Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Trainee August 2017 intake

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

Grysa wrote: »
    Hey guys, i was hoping to get into it for august but got a letter saying I'm "generally unsuitable". Pretty disappointed after passing everything. Had an issue with driving with no insurance at one stage but the case got thrown out and i didn't get convicted, i think it had to be because of that..

Sorry, probably shouldn't have asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Marksy8429

Hey guys, i was hoping to get into it for august but got a letter saying I'm "generally unsuitable". Pretty disappointed after passing everything. Had an issue with driving with no insurance at one stage but the case got thrown out and i didn't get convicted, i think it had to be because of that..

Sorry to hear must be so frustrating after coming that far, strange that the suoer didn't give you any indication, definitely ask for a review. Did pas send you the letter or Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lmcc98

does anyone know if you are allowed to have a guest stay overnight in your room at the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Leeroy162

Lmcc98 wrote: »
    does anyone know if you are allowed to have a guest stay overnight in your room at the weekends?

Don't think you stay over at the weekends I'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Vitaliy

Do people that are in Garda college, get a parking spot or do they have to get a lift over?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

Lmcc98 wrote:

No. You have to apply for special permission to stay there at the weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Got it over 2 weeks ago. I applied for informal review, going to try and see the exact reason why they didn't accept me. I would understand if i was convicted for not having insurance on the day but i wasn't convicted and the sergeant and superintendent were happy enough with it to recommend me.

Sorry to hear that, its a crappy line to read, try and keep the chin up best you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭mutter_man

Vitaliy wrote: »
    Do people that are in Garda college, get a parking spot or do they have to get a lift over?

I would have assumed there is student parking same as numerous other Police colleges but that's a good question, anyone have a better answer than guessing please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sd82

Hey, I bought the Loughborough Multi stage fitness test CD, does anyone know if this is the same one as they use in Templemore on the day of your test.

Hey, I bought the Loughborough Multi stage fitness test CD, does anyone know if this is the same one as they use in Templemore on the day of your test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭mabf

As far as I know you have to park at the tennis club across from the college as you would have done for any open days or your PCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grysa

Marksy8429 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear must be so frustrating after coming that far, strange that the suoer didn't give you any indication, definitely ask for a review. Did pas send you the letter or Gardaí?

Ya its quite disappointing to find this out after passing all exams, interview fitness...and waiting for sooo long. It was a letter from HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Crombiiiie991

Still waiting on vetting clearance and I'm from the January 16 campaign..how long does it take! worried about not getting a place for the August intake now :/

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭BobbyDaisy

Still waiting on vetting clearance and I'm from the January 16 campaign..how long does it take! worried about not getting a place for the August intake now :/

It's different for everybody. I'm from the January 2016 campaign as well and only got clearance a week ago there really is no timeline on it

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pip92

BobbyDaisy wrote: »
    It's different for everybody. I'm from the January 2016 campaign as well and only got clearance a week ago there really is no timeline on it

How did you hear you got clearance. I'm January 2016 aswell

I'm from January 16 and would be lucky if my vetting even began a week ago ... :(

Pip92 wrote: »
    How did you hear you got clearance. I'm January 2016 aswell

I contacted them by email and they confirmed that my application was complete.

I contacted them by email and they confirmed that my application was complete.

Oh grand, Id be to afraid to email in case I don't like the answer :p fingers crossed for you for August

Pip92 wrote: »
    Oh grand, Id be to afraid to email in case I don't like the answer :p fingers crossed for you for August

Would any of ye consider re applying again for the 2017 campaign incase the worst case scenario arose and we didn't get august?

• Advertisement

Would any of ye consider re applying again for the 2017 campaign incase the worst case scenario arose and we didn't get august?

Just cause there's a new campaign doesn't mean that your application will be scrapped.

If you've everything passed there's no reason to reapply

Just because you don't get an offer for August doesn't mean your out of the running, you'd get offered for the other intakes. If it came back that I failed any of it I 100% would apply again.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Ya its quite disappointing to find this out after passing all exams, interview fitness...and waiting for sooo long. It was a letter from HQ.

Seems very harsh considering you weren't actually convicted.

Poor lad! Sorry to hear!

Hopefully some avenue of appeal will sort ya!
    Get in contact with the local superintendent that you met with is probably your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Vitaliy

No, sure if you don't get in August, you will be still in the queue for next intake. But if you reapply, you will be back to the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 gunnermad

Sorry to hear that. I think I might have a problem too as I received a caution for being drunk a few years back. Would anyone have info on this please? Just a question, did you state this incident on your form B?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

gunnermad wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that. I think I might have a problem too as I received a caution for being drunk a few years back. Would anyone have info on this please? Just a question, did you state this incident on your form B?

I'm in the same boat. Received a caution about 8 years ago for a drunken incident. Put it on the form b and spoke to the super and sergeant about it and they said it shouldn't be an issue but starting to panic now after hearing that! Have everything passed now would be gutted if I got turned away at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Keeper34

Isn't it possible you'd have to apply for the 2017 campaign before you know (if you failed on anything). Closing date is 1st of June....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭DE1991

Anyone know when the offers for August will be sent??

DE1991 wrote: »

Probably this time next month I reckon

DE1991 wrote: »

Going by previous trends it'll most likely the week commencing the 25th of June

• Advertisement

lads anyone who done the physical as can't remember from the open day but an instructor holds your feet for the sit ups dont they?

Sd82 wrote: »
    lads anyone who done the physical as can't remember from the open day but an instructor holds your feet for the sit ups dont they?

Yeah they do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭GB FAN GALWAY 30

Sd82 wrote: »

Yes you're right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Grysa

gunnermad wrote: »

Ya did say it on form B, the most annoying part is when the sergeant and supper had no issues with it but HQ does...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Keeper34

Got a date for the medical. Sent the return email as requested - from a laptop, got an email back saying they haven't received it yet. Anyone having trouble with this?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Very sorry to hear that can only imagine the disappointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Ya did say it on form B, the most annoying part is when the sergeant and supper had no issues with it but HQ does...

That's stupid. If it was HQ could they have not at leased stopped it before you went any further.

This process isn't exactly cheap nor quick, it can be quite stressful at times.

What happens now then? Can you appeal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 APR95

Sorry to hear that . Did they give you no indication in your meeting with the sergeant that this could be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ChezTonTon

Well lads, I applied for it yesterday but I'm confused with people getting called for interviews and getting letters for medicals etc. Does it happen that fast? I had just presumed that it would all take place after the 1st of June.

ChezTonTon wrote: »
    Well lads, I applied for it yesterday but I'm confused with people getting called for interviews and getting letters for medicals etc. Does it happen that fast? I had just presumed that it would all take place after the 1st of June.

There from previous campaigns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 ChezTonTon

leestone wrote: »
    There from previous campaigns

Okay I was thinking thanks very much! How long could it be before were seen to then in this campaign?

Okay I was thinking thanks very much! How long could it be before were seen to then in this campaign?

Online tests first

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭DonegalMan0544

You'll have stage 1,2 and 3 to get through first. Then a medical examination and a physical after that. Vetting then on top of that. There is quite a long wait as well between each stage. I applied last September and only getting everything complete now so that gives you a time frame...

Patience is a virtue in the Garda Recruitment Process. Strap yourself in for a long ride

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daveoc43

I applied in November 2015 and have everything complete since January gone and have missed out on the last two campaigns. Prepare yourself for a long wait but some people have been lucky and went through the system fast

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Sam4thehills

daveoc43 wrote: »
    I applied in November 2015 and have everything complete since January gone and have missed out on the last two campaigns. Prepare yourself for a long wait but some people have been lucky and went through the system fast

I am in the same situation as yourself. So frustrating not knowing what's going to happen. Its nice to know am not the only one waiting this long
    Did you get your vetting signed of by commissioner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

It's all about scoring high in the early aptitudes I find, I didn't score too highly so was waiting for the call

If I was a new applicant I d also be working on fitness and checking yourself medically incase you need any surgery etc

• Registered Users Posts: 35 daveoc43

I am in the same situation as yourself. So frustrating not knowing what's going to happen. Its nice to know am not the only one waiting this long
    Did you get your vetting signed of by commissioner.

Yes as far as I know it's all been complete.. they tell you very little. The system takes far too long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

daveoc43 wrote: »

Well your a little ahead of me! Still waiting on Super. I have a bad feeling that something is up.

Prepare for a long wait is all I can say !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭bazz1000

TallGlass wrote: »
    Well your a little ahead of me! Still waiting on Super. I have a bad feeling that something is up.

Prepare for a long wait is all I can say !

That's for sure. Jan 16 campaign and found out today my vetting still not finished. Disaster and I'd high hopes for August intake. Still have parts outstanding. Disappointed an understatement. Hopefully it'll get done in time for June offers

Advertisement