Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visonic PowerMax Trouble - Advice

Options
  • 15-03-2017 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I have a Visonic PowerMax wireless alarm system originally installed by <company>. We've had constant problems with the system, mostly false positives... the alarm goes off almost every day with no movement in the house - I have internal cameras so can check it.

<snip> I'm thinking of 2 options:

1) Ripping out the system and binning it (after only a year). If so, any recommendations for a new system? Preferably with an app to control the system?

2) Find a company who can repair it for us. Any recommendations? Seems like of Visonics distributors only deal with trade partners.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

dutopia wrote: »
    I have a Visonic PowerMax wireless alarm system originally installed by <company>. We've had constant problems with the system, mostly false positives... the alarm goes off almost every day with no movement in the house - I have internal cameras so can check it.

<snip>. I'm thinking of 2 options:

1) Ripping out the system and binning it (after only a year). If so, any recommendations for a new system? Preferably with an app to control the system?

2) Find a company who can repair it for us. Any recommendations? Seems like of Visonics distributors only deal with trade partners.

2 is the better option if you have the system installed, otherwise your looking at a whole new system.
    Do you know what the activation is?
    It should be listed in the events.

You can add a GSM to that system for remote access for arming and disarming plus alarm texts to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

altor wrote: »
    2 is the better option if you have the system installed, otherwise your looking at a whole new system.
    Do you know what the activation is?
    It should be listed in the events.

You can add a GSM to that system for remote access for arming and disarming plus alarm texts to your phone.

I have the GSM module. It's the same sensor going off every day, so I guess it's a fault with that one. When the alarm is activated, I get multiple texts and the credit is usually gone in a few days - so I haven't being topping it up. Maybe I should just disable that sensor? what do you think?

I have the GSM module. It's the same sensor going off every day, so I guess it's a fault with that one. When the alarm is activated, I get multiple texts and the credit is usually gone in a few days - so I haven't being topping it up. Maybe I should just disable that sensor? what do you think?

Has to be an issue with the sensor, could be location either.
    What type sensor is it?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Going by the installer I would say its a PiR that is giving you problems.Is it the one device all the time? Has this been giving trouble from day one and is it something that's just started.
    If its always been a problem it may be the location. (Is it facing a window or direct sunlight?)
    If its something that's just developed it may be a faulty unit that needs replacing. Easily sorted one way or the other. We have lots of these installed and they give very little trouble.No need to replace everything unless you want to upgrade for apps etc.

Has to be an issue with the sensor, could be location either.
    What type sensor is it?

It's a wireless PIR sensor. I think it has happened since it was installed. It's in the kitchen/dining room facing into the room. It seems to only go off on warmer days... the south facing back of the house (where the kitchen/dining is) can really build up heat if it's a sunny day.

Best thing to do just disable this sensor? Is there a way to lower the sensitivity?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Going by the installer I would say its a PiR that is giving you problems.Is it the one device all the time? Has this been giving trouble from day one and is it something that's just started.
    If its always been a problem it may be the location. (Is it facing a window or direct sunlight?)
    If its something that's just developed it may be a faulty unit that needs replacing. Easily sorted one way or the other. We have lots of these installed and they give very little trouble.No need to replace everything unless you want to upgrade for apps etc.

Thanks KoolKid. Yup it has always been there and faces into a room that can heat up during the day as its south facing. The alarm seems to trigger only on sunny days.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

It's probably just badly located. We have lots of these installed with issues very rare. You would need engineer access if you wanted to remove or replace the device.
    Check inside the PiR and see if there is a link to reduce sensitivity. It may offer pulse 1 or 2.

It's a wireless PIR sensor. I think it has happened since it was installed. It's in the kitchen/dining room facing into the room. It seems to only go off on warmer days... the south facing back of the house (where the kitchen/dining is) can really build up heat if it's a sunny day.

Best thing to do just disable this sensor? Is there a way to lower the sensitivity?

If the room gets hot then the location of the device in the room may have no bearing if you move it. You would have two options IMO. Add a dual tech PIR or cover the entry points. Pirs are used as a back up to any system. Depending on them to activate when an intruder is in your home is not an ideal solution. Its recommended to have perimeter protection. This can be done with your system.

If the room gets hot then the location of the device in the room may have no bearing if you move it. You would have two options IMO. Add a dual tech PIR or cover the entry points. Pirs are used as a back up to any system. Depending on them to activate when an intruder is in your home is not an ideal solution. Its recommended to have perimeter protection. This can be done with your system.

I might get them to add some contact points. Especially since the house is already wired for a system. Thanks, good advice!

You should be looking at adding shock contacts.
    Why they didn't install these in the first place is strange.

• Advertisement

I might get them to add some contact points. Especially since the house is already wired for a system. Thanks, good advice!

You can add a zone expander to the complete system but he will more than likely use wire free devices as getting the cable from the sensors to the panel may not be feasible.

Especially since the house is already wired for a system. Thanks, good advice!

How come you ended up with this system on a wired house?:confused::eek:
    I hope he had the sense to put the panel where the keypad cable was. At least that will make it easier to get the window/door cable back to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ogmaestro

I have the same feelings towards <company>! I am also considering both these options! Unfortunately I am tied into a 3 year contract!

Ogmaestro wrote: »
    I have the same feelings towards <company>! I am also considering both these options! Unfortunately I am tied into a 3 year contract!

If you are in contract then you may be liable for termination of the contract.
    Most companys would be more than happy to take over this system.

Ogmaestro wrote: »

Did you get a proper system design proposal? Did you have a proper risk assessment carried out? and did you get a proper Certificate of compliance.
    This should be a proper cert individually numbered. Not a few lines on an A4 page.
    I have got a few people out of these contracts very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭retepnosnikta

<snip>. I'm thinking of 2 options:

That response sounds very familiar. A few barks and little assistance. My elderly neighbour had a similar experience.

If you're having difficulties sourcing parts in Ireland this UK company will be only too glad to assist you. Three day turnaround from ordering to delivery.

http://powermax-alarm.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

Hi sorry for jumping in but so relieved to see someone else with problems with this alarm. I had mine installed in 2009 and it has not worked properly since paid for repairs/service since but have given up now beeps every morning, afternoon and evening so have to disarm to shut it up. I wanted an alarm that would alert me on activating but discovered no sim was fitted. Have not armed it in 3 years! Please help !

If you keep pressing the OK button it will notify you of any faults one by one.
    Come back and let us know what it says/displays.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭daisling

KoolKid wrote: »
    If you keep pressing the OK button it will notify you of any faults one by one.
    Come back and let us know what it says/displays.

Living room z06 alarmed
    Hall system troubles
    Ac failure

I presume the power is back on.
    Is it saying hall system trouble > Low Battery or Tamper?
    Is the zone 6 alarm a regular occurrence or was that a once off?
    If you fully set the system & then disarm it that will will clear any faults that are no longer present from the list.

• Advertisement

A lot of it is how it's installed. 3 motion sensors and a contact on a door is not a good system no matter what make of system you are using.
    What problems are you having with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jasper12

I have a similar problem with Visonic Powermax+ system. However, I am finding it difficult to find someone who can fix it. Did you manage to get your problem sorted and if so, can you recommend a good and reasonable priced person to come and fix?

Most good installers would be able to look at any system like this. Where are you located?

Advertisement