Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help with Donedeal ad

• 15-03-2017 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hey all,

I've been trying to sell my 12 Passat for past 2/3 weeks.
    I bumped it a week ago and have lowered the price but I haven't got any interest yet. If I search for ads at this price point, the other cars are higher miles and lower spec. Not sure what to do.
    So I was wondering, is my Ad good enough? is my price low enough? or should I just wait longer at my new price?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-highline-sport-2-0-140hp/14760805

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Pictures are excellent honestly...

• Registered Users Posts: 18 pidgey

Cool thanks, Ya I tried to get the best I could. The car is brilliant and I know if I can get a serious buyer to take a look at it there's no reason why they wouldn't buy it.. but it's just getting the call is the issue!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

pidgey wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've been trying to sell my 12 Passat for past 2/3 weeks.
    I bumped it a week ago and have lowered the price but I haven't got any interest yet. If I search for ads at this price point, the other cars are higher miles and lower spec. Not sure what to do.
    So I was wondering, is my Ad good enough? is my price low enough? or should I just wait longer at my new price?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-passat-highline-sport-2-0-140hp/14760805

Thanks.

Nice car and good few extras too. Personally I would hold for another while on price.

You shouldn't expect to sell within 2 to 3 weeks unless you are extremely lucky IMO.

Good luck with sale.

Alright thanks, will do.
    I've no idea how long cars normally take to sell so I'll hold out for a while longer and hope for the best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

Alright thanks, will do.
    I've no idea how long cars normally take to sell so I'll hold out for a while longer and hope for the best!

Cars in that price bracket generally take longer to sell, people are jonsey about handing over high cash in private car sales. Albeit your car isn't THAT high, still would have people on the ropes, at least in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

At that price a lot of people would prefer to buy from a dealer its not to say you won't sell as a private seller but it is harder when competing against dealer warranty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,762 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Did you get any enquiries OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Personally I think you need to accept that you are in competition with dealers who will give warranty. I think your best bet is to use it to trade in against a new car. You cant do anymore to your advert. I could'nt fault it and I'm in the trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,576 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bump the ad on a Friday around 11-12 am so the Friday lunchtime buyers can see it.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    At that price a lot of people would prefer to buy from a dealer its not to say you won't sell as a private seller but it is harder when competing against dealer warranty.

Ya very true. I would be wary myself giving over 13k to a random person..

• Advertisement

Did you get any enquiries OP?

Got 1 half hearted call. Wasn't really interested..

Bump the ad on a Friday around 11-12 am so the Friday lunchtime buyers can see it.

Ya will do. Bank holiday weekend might be an active time for buyers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

Good add, nice car. It can take 3 months to sell something in that price bracket privately. Have patience and best of luck with the sale.
    Ps. Are those alloys oe?

Personally I think you need to accept that you are in competition with dealers who will give warranty. I think your best bet is to use it to trade in against a new car. You cant do anymore to your advert. I could'nt fault it and I'm in the trade.

Well I'm selling because I'm going off travelling. Not interested in a replacement, if I was staying i would just keep it..

kay 9 wrote: »
    Good add, nice car. It can take 3 months to sell something in that price bracket privately. Have patience and best of luck with the sale.
    Ps. Are those alloys oe?

Cool. Guess I just need a bit of patience.
    Yes alloys are oe, come on the sport model.
    Called minneapolis I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭oldsmokey

Can take time, took us 3 months to fllog a decent avensis diesel, thought it would fly out the gate...try carzone too...

M

Ya will do. Bank holiday weekend might be an active time for buyers?

Exactly, perhaps though with this Friday it being Paddys Day do it tomorrow lunchtime instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could try an ad in your local paper stating that it is 12 SO.
    Some people prefer to buy a car registered in their home county.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

if you have a good quality camera like a Canon 6D you should take a walk around video of the car and also inside.

You'll find that more people will click on an advert with a video on Donedeal and it will also underline what seems to be a well kept car.

Also a picture of the service history does help!

Thanks, might do that. I'll try find out what the deal is with classified ads in sligo papers..

• Advertisement

Dia1988 wrote: »
    if you have a good quality camera like a Canon 6D you should take a walk around video of the car and also inside.

You'll find that more people will click on an advert with a video on Donedeal and it will also underline what seems to be a well kept car.

Also a picture of the service history does help!

Ya I was considering doing this. I know when I was looking for cars before I would have really liked it. If the weather holds out tomorrow I might give it a go!
    Dont have a camera but I'll see how the phone works out.

I posted a video and bumped the ad.
    Oscar worthy stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

I posted a video and bumped the ad.
    Oscar worthy stuff.

Great video especially showing the service history.

M

Great work with the video.

If it was me I would give it 6 weeks before I would go reducing the price, at that price level the market is so much smaller that you could sell it in a day or 2 months depending on the timing that the right cash buyer sees it. Ignore bids over the phone and people looking for best price, when someone comes to see the car and sees that it's mint they will make an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You should omit the reference to Dublin and Sligo. That kind of thing raises doubts in people's minds. Phone number and email is enough information for the present.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭GypsyByName

Any bites?

Any bites?

Ended up selling it to a family member for 12800.

Advertisement