Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do I need health insurance?

• 15-03-2017 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭

I'm 33 going 34 soon so I know I'll be hit with a penalty if I don't take out health insurance next year. But I don't see why I should and I'm hoping someone can fill me in.

The way I see is if I get real sick the public system will look after me. If I'm not really sick and need to see a consultant I can pay the 400-500 quid private fee if needed.

Why would I fork out over 1000 a year for insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,478 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

LG1234 wrote: »
    The way I see is if I get real sick the public system will look after me. If I'm not really sick and need to see a consultant I can pay the 400-500 quid private fee if needed.

It's the stuff in-between which requires surgery and/or ongoing treatment that will catch you out if you don't have medical insurance. Say you develop a problem with your hip or one or both of your knees - that would be considered not urgent enough for A&E and if you go to a consultant, you will be told you need a procedure that will probably cost several thousand euros. In the public system you will be on a waiting list for years so to go private and get it fixed in a reasonable time-frame, you will have to dig deep and pay out of your own pocket.

If people in your age bracket don't pay medical insurance, the penalty for late entry will only keep rising and it will be unaffordable when you get into your 50s and 60s which is when you will start to really need it.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,327 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'm currently recovering from major orthopaedic surgery. Total cost for the surgery and several days in a private hospital was over €16k. Total cost to me thanks to VHI - zero, and I was able to schedule the surgery for a time that suited me work-wise. I also posted this elsewhere a couple of years ago as another demonstration of the benefits of private health insurance:

A number of years ago I had a sudden unforeseen complication following knee surgery that left me in absolute agony and unable to walk. Not knowing what was wrong, I went to A&E where an x-ray quickly showed what the problem was. It was clear that another operation was required, so I expected to be told I'd have one within a few days. I was stunned when they told me that I should go home and that they'd be in touch with me in "about 6 weeks" to discuss scheduling the operation. Not that the operation would be in 6 weeks, just that they'd give me a date for it at that stage. When I said that was ridiculous because I couldn't walk due to the extreme pain (far worse than the pain of the original complaint) and would have to go on sick leave, I was told that because it wasn't life-threatening I was a non-urgent case. It then dawned on me that because I was in A&E I was probably being put on the public waiting list, so I asked if my VHI meant I could have the operation sooner. The reaction I got clearly demonstrated the divide in the public and private healthcare systems in this country, it was pretty much "You have VHI? Well why didn't you say so? Take a seat and we'll see what we can do for you". I had the operation a week later.

That's the nature of insurance, you pay for it in the hope that you'll never need it, but are glad of it when you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I'm 33 going 34 soon so I know I'll be hit with a penalty if I don't take out health insurance next year. But I don't see why I should and I'm hoping someone can fill me in.

My thinking is the same as yours.

If it's something serious, public health system will have to take care of that.
    Anything smaller than that can be paid directly (scans/consultant fees), and if something more expensive needed urgently, it can always be done abroad in country where things like that are cheaper.

I can't see any reason to pay health insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 nobbin

My husband got diagnosed with cancer aged 42. Having private health insurance meant he started treatment immediately and quite frankly was in much nicer surroundings for the full day every 2 weeks he spent getting chemo. The difference between the two systems is just so unjust but when it's you or one's you love affected you are just thankful you have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'm 34 and got health insurance when I had to wait almost 3 years for an appointment to sort out an ingrown toenail.

Then I got MS and I'm seen as a public patient. However I use my health insurance for my annual MRI. The MRI is over 500 euro to pay for it as it's a brain and full spine so takes an hour and a half and is charged in line with that.

If I was public I'd be getting one every three years or so.

If you would actually save the 1000 per year, maybe it'd be sufficient if something cropped up. But there are plenty of painful, debilitating illnesses​ that are not life threatening and therefore you can be left for years languishing on a public waiting list.
    It's not right or fair but it's true.

• Advertisement

ash23 wrote: »

What most people forget (or choose to ignore) is that if those of us who pay for medical insurance did not do so, the waiting lists for public treatment would be even longer.

The usual answer to this is that medical facilities should be available to all regardless of ability to pay but if the NHS is the model for that, why is there a company called BUPA in the UK running private hospitals and clinics all over the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Because, although you can pay you 400-500 to see the consultant, you won't get his services without health insurance or paying for the treatment privately. It certainly won't boost you up the public waiting list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

I think there was an insurance expert on matt Cooper a few years ago and he was basically saying, throw the money you would be paying for health insurance in your twenties into a savings account, as if anything happens you should be able to afford it.
    Then in your 30s get health insurance

billbond4 wrote: »
    I think there was an insurance expert on matt Cooper a few years ago and he was basically saying, throw the money you would be paying for health insurance in your twenties into a savings account, as if anything happens you should be able to afford it.

The likelihood of someone in their 20s resisting the temptation to use that money towards buying a house or car or holiday is zero.

If you have the attitude that you don't need to pay for medical insurance because a few hundred euros in the bank will cover any potential treatment, you're a fool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I developed a painful cyst on my arse that required surgery, and it was actually making me sick and feeling crap. The public waiting list for that would have been 2 years at least. Privately I got it done in 2 weeks. I have an office job, and it was really affecting my ability to work.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Health insurance is one of those things where it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Just a couple of weeks ago, my little boy needed an operation. He'd been very unwell and had been referred to a consultant on the public system. The wait time was around 8 months, and god knows how much pain he'd be in during that time, and also missing a lot of school. We went private, saw a consultant in the Beacon within a week, and surgery was scheduled for 6 days later. Insurance covered all of the inpatient stuff, and we paid for the consultant appointments, however on our plan we can claim some of those back, so all in all it's cost us less than €50.

One of my friends (aged 30) has had chronic tonsil problems for years and was scheduled for surgery on the public system. She was waiting for over a year, and the operation was eventually done under the National Treatment Purchase Fund. However, in the intervening time, one of her cousins also needed the same operation. She had health insurance, went private, and had met with the consultant and had the surgery in the space of a few weeks.

To be honest, the outpatient costs associated with going private are the least of your worries. I remember having my son and my insurance covered a private room in Holles St. There was a big sign on the wall saying to make sure that your insurance definitely covered the room, because the nightly rate was something like €1100. So that's just literally the room, that doesn't include any medication, procedures, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

What is not fair about getting something extra by paying extra for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,547 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

In addition to speed of access, which others have mentioned, a significant factor is that if you develop a chronic, but not life-threatening, condition, you'll be very, very glad you had insurance.

It's one thing to pay out of pocket for private provision of a consultation or two, plus a single round of treatment. But if you have a condition that requires regular monitoring, treatment and review, for years and years - and there are many such conditions - you really don't want to be doing that in the public system if you can avoid it. If you only take out health insurance after you have developed the chronic condition, they won't provide any cover in relation to the pre-existing chronic condition until the expiry of a waiting period of between 5 and 10 years, and it's unlikely you'll be able to pay for private treatment for that length of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

My son has an ear condition that was picked up because we could go private. Surgeon said an infection would have hit his brain within weeks. If we relied on the public system he would probably not be alive today....Or at least seriously debilitated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

Pkiernan wrote: »
    What is not fair about getting something extra by paying extra for it?

Most people pay for their health care via taxes. To have a split system where the wealthy get treated more quickly doesn't sit quite right with me to be honest.
    I don't think someone should be left suffering because they can't afford to pay insurance.

Utopian ideals but yes, I do wish there was a way everyone could be treated quickly and fairly without being able to afford it being the crux of the speed of your treatment.

I've no problems with people choosing to pay for a nice room or a private hospital, just the waiting list issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Im still not totally convinced i need this. I dont need a fancier room, if its urgent I have some savings I can tap into (which i will continue to add to if i dont have to pay insurance) if I go on a waiting list i can look at going abroad to get a procedure done etc.

But lets say I pick a plan thats 60 a month and I pay tax at the higher rate, does that mean I effectivly only pay 30 a month?

Im still not totally convinced i need this. I dont need a fancier room, if its urgent I have some savings I can tap into (which i will continue to add to if i dont have to pay insurance) if I go on a waiting list i can look at going abroad to get a procedure done etc.

But lets say I pick a plan thats 60 a month and I pay tax at the higher rate, does that mean I effectivly only pay 30 a month?

Health cost tax relief is assessed at the lowest rate (20%), not your marginal rate.

Most people pay for their health care via taxes. To have a split system where the wealthy get treated more quickly doesn't sit quite right with me to be honest.
    I don't think someone should be left suffering because they can't afford to pay insurance.

Utopian ideals but yes, I do wish there was a way everyone could be treated quickly and fairly without being able to afford it being the crux of the speed of your treatment.

I've no problems with people choosing to pay for a nice room or a private hospital, just the waiting list issue.
    The wealthy are paying far more, both in taxes and in private fees.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I find it a bit unfair that this penalty has been introduced. I don't have it because I can't afford insurance. This incremental penalty means it'll be harder for me to be able to afford it in future. Regardless of whatever economists may suggest you should do with your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

just to give you the other side.

All the money you save will pay for when your sick if you are sick.
    Cancer is probably the best thing to get as public System is not so bad with that. But it's a gamble after all. I have it through my GFs job. She does pay BIC on it. But would not pay it myself. I'm 40 now, never been seriously ill. Been the doc twice in 4 years. Last time got my antibiotic. First one since I was 13. I got €40 back for each doc visit.

Just to add. It's been a benefit for her. She has a peanut allergy plus others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

The whole system is unfair, unjust and as a result of wastage of the resources given to the HSE (not nurses & doctors etc.). However, when it's the only game in town, we each have to make our own choices as to whether we take cover or not.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone without health insurance who opted to go private for a serious procedure out of their own funds. Did the hospital and consultant insist on some form of guarantee before agreeing to the procedure?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Like Ash, I developed MS in my 30s.Previous to that I was NEVER ill, bar the odd cold or stomach bug. There was a 2 year waiting list to see a neuro publicly at the time. The treatment I am now on costs €2,500 a month, VHI covers it. The numbers of public patients who get it is quite limited. One of my other meds takes so much paperwork to get it , that many in the public system simply won't get it at all. It's been proven now , with MS that you need early diagnosis and aggressive treatment from the start.The delays in the public system can mean far worse prognosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

So weird .........I've been thinking about this a lot today and now find this thread !
    Family of 4 (40 , 37 , 16 , 6) and all in good health touch wood .
    Had health insurance for 5 years or so up until 4 years ago
    Could only afford the basic package which basically covered nothing so decided to get rid of it
    May now be in a position to get a middling package but i don't even know where to start tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭LG1234

Like Ash, I developed MS in my 30s.Previous to that I was NEVER ill, bar the odd cold or stomach bug. There was a 2 year waiting list to see a neuro publicly at the time. The treatment I am now on costs €2,500 a month, VHI covers it. The numbers of public patients who get it is quite limited. One of my other meds takes so much paperwork to get it , that many in the public system simply won't get it at all. It's been proven now , with MS that you need early diagnosis and aggressive treatment from the start.The delays in the public system can mean far worse prognosis.

But if I didnt have insurance i could pay for the consulatations with the neuro and even though the drugs cost €2500 per month, you'd still only have to pay €144 per month because of the drugs payment scheme. And you'll be able to claim 20% back on each €144 in tax relief at the end of the year.

Ive had a look at a few plans and unless youre going all out and getting the best plan they seem to cover very little...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The treatment is given in a hospital setting and is not under the DPS . I get it once a month , our Neuro is at every infusion . Many public patients see the Neuro once a year at most . The other drug was not under the DPS and after much campaigning we got it funded . It was costing up to €500 a month . It has been funded for " responders " who must be assessed by the Neuro to show it is working and the volume of paperwork for it is staggering .

My main treatment is associated with a possibly fatal side effect so I get an MRI at a minimum every six months . I know public patients who haven't had one in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Like previous posters, I'm very glad I have insurance. A couple of years ago I had a potentially dangerous health problem. Two weeks to see the consultant, then two weeks to surgery. Under the public system it would have been almost a year to get an outpatient appointment, and who knows how long until surgery. In an ideal world the public system would be as good, and insurance would only be for upgraded accommodation, but that's not the health system that we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have no health insurance.
    Last year, I developed some abdominal pains with rectal bleeding, and on top of that chest pains.
    Went to A&E (€100), they did ECG and chest xray and confirmed nothing wrong there, and said most likely chest pain due to fear of other symptoms. They gave me letter for my GP, so she could give me referral for abdominal ultrasound.
    Knowing it's going to take long time. instead of that, I booked my flight to Poland for next day, got consultant visit with abdominal ultrasound (€30), Colonoscopy few days later (€100), gastrologist consultant visit (€25) and cardiologist consultant visit (€40).

Together with flights, driving to Dublin, airport parking, etc, it cost me less than €500 (including this A&E visit) and took me about 1 week.

Would health insurance help me obtain the same service here in Ireland - probably yes, but at much bigger cost, and I would need to travel anyway probably to Dublin or Galway in best case.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

madmaggie wrote: »
    Like previous posters, I'm very glad I have insurance. A couple of years ago I had a potentially dangerous health problem. Two weeks to see the consultant, then two weeks to surgery. Under the public system it would have been almost a year to get an outpatient appointment, and who knows how long until surgery. In an ideal world the public system would be as good, and insurance would only be for upgraded accommodation, but that's not the health system that we have.

I was opposite to above post . A couple of years ago I had a potential dangerous health problem . I paid consultant €160 and got appointment in two weeks .
    Then I was sent for x-rays and tests under the public system . and a month later went back for final visit to consultant , another €120 and he put me on correct medication for life .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

LG1234 wrote:
    I'm 33 going 34 soon so I know I'll be hit with a penalty if I don't take out health insurance next year. But I don't see why I should and I'm hoping someone can fill me in.The way I see is if I get real sick the public system will look after me. If I'm not really sick and need to see a consultant I can pay the 400-500 quid private fee if needed.]Why would I fork out over 1000 a year for insurance?[/quote

It's a luxury to have and to be honest I was like you but I get it thru work but I top up and have a better plan .

I've seen work mates having had operations having cost thousands and it was all paid for by private health care and having it done quickly and I've seen mates who are on public system waiting an extreme length of time for an appointment for a consultant or a procedure . There's no comparison it's only when you need it you realise its fantastic.

The 500 you talk about is pocket change when it comes to anything complicated if you have to go private and don't have private health care.

Simple fact it's a luxury if you can afford it if not don't worry about it .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

LG1234 - I would advise you to take out a health insurance policy that gives you cover in a semi private room in a private hospital and be willing to pay a high access if you go to hospital.
    If you need medical treatement and don't have health insurance you will be put on a public list. You could wait a year to see a consultant and wait as long again before you get treatment. You could be in pain for 2 years with no end in sight.

Also if you develope a long term condition you can get seen qicker and get access to treatment that could be better for you long term.

For each year that you put off getting health insurance you will be charged a loading and this will put the cost of you insurance up by a certain % each year.
    A few years ago I was in your position. I realised that unless I took out health insurance then that long term I would not be in a position to afford it. Since then I saw one of my friends wait for over 12 months for surgery in pain. I know if the same thing was wrong with me I would have surgery within a month.

Advertisement