Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fox snares or not.

Options
  • 15-03-2017 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Just curious as to how people feel about snares in general. Seen some horrific sights years ago and had to kill quite a few foxes and rabbits caught in other peoples snares. Now I have no problems with hunting and shooting and have done so most of my life, but I never had time for snares or fox or badger digging. I was thought from an early age to kill animals as quickly and cleanly as possible. I am nieve enough to think people did not do that any more willy nilly but from recent conversations found it was still practised widely. Just curious as to peoples opinions on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks, just want to remind everyone of forum specific rule number 1.
    Hunting is legal, ethical and morally sound. This is an accepted axiom of this forum and discussions about whether or not hunting itself is an ethical or legal activity are not permissible;
    All such discussions will be deleted without exception. However, discussions on the ethics of specific hunting techniques or practices is permitted, but such discussions will be required to adhere to the rules more strictly than most other discussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

No problem if you have the time to check them daily and you use legal irish snares. UK loop size and stop position is different actually smaller than irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Fastnet50

No problem if you have the time to check them daily and you use legal irish snares. UK loop size and stop position is different actually smaller than irish.

Just seen some very bad sights from snare use, mostly some years ago but would much prefer to see them lamped and dispatched instantly. It just goes against my grain to see the results.

Fastnet50 wrote:
    Just seen some very bad sights from snare use, mostly some years ago but would much prefer to see them lamped and dispatched instantly. It just goes against my grain to see the results.

I accept your opinion..but I can't rule them out, if used properly they are effective.
    There is a neighbour of mine a farmer man in his 60's he snares a lot of foxes. He is out and about daily. The horror stories tends to be from snares not placed properly, wrong snares used, home made snares used etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

well as far as im concerned,i would not use them,the idea of any animal dying slowly is not my cup of tea,thats just me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

Made big money a few years ago on pelts had hundereds of snairs set, at start had a few alive in them but soon mastered it foxes were dead in snairs will agree have to be looked at every day if not should not be done you would be supprised at the number of foxes that would be caught in them around pens ,no problem with them once they are set right hole size small so badgers would knock them over and set on the top of ditches makes for a quick death, foxes are very scarce on the ground around our club lands by the time we take in poults but 200 poults in a pen will draw foxes from a long way off you cant be carefull enough.They are still a big part of vermin control.

I would doubt they are the correct way to control any animal, like sniperman I also hate to see animals dying this way. Why not make sure the pens are secured and the mesh is buried a few feet below ground level, then do your lamping and rapid control. Once the penned Pheasants are released they are going to be picked off by all manner of carnivores as compared to wild Pheasants they are thick for want of a better word. I doubt that any will last the season so its back to the incubator next spring again. All the guys I shoot with and have hunted with do not use snares and are of the same mindset as me so keep the viewpoints coming please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Only reason I wouldn't use them is there always a possibility of snaring someone's dog. On my permission people do walk about with their dogs and so do lads in off season just bringing their dogs out for a walk. Be horrible to find your dog choking to death or worse dead on a snare. Only take a minute to do serious damage or worse.
    It's more enjoyable to go out shooting them anyway.

Only reason I wouldn't use them is there always a possibility of snaring someone's dog. On my permission people do walk about with their dogs and so do lads in off season just bringing their dogs out for a walk. Be horrible to find your dog choking to death or worse dead on a snare. Only take a minute to do serious damage or worse.
    It's more enjoyable to go out shooting them anyway.

Totally agree with you, fair play on the dog issue.

Horses for courses i am afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,031 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Could never understand why snares are allowed to be used here without two things. A spring pole and or a drag weight.Or why numerous other much more humane IMO are prohibited here.Things like deadfalls or jaw traps that work on pull release only.Snaring is both art and science,and takes years to get right.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

sniperman wrote:
    well as far as im concerned,i would not use them,the idea of any animal dying slowly is not my cup of tea,thats just me.

Agree....but how many foxes are grained on a fox drive or shot and are runners when lamping.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Could never understand why snares are allowed to be used here without two things. A spring pole and or a drag weight.Or why numerous other much more humane IMO are prohibited here.Things like deadfalls or jaw traps that work on pull release only.Snaring is both art and science,and takes years to get right.
    When i ran a trapping line all them years ago no spring poles or drag weights after the first week or two i would say i had it down to a fine art have not had a fox alive in years in the snares i had set .

blackpearl wrote: »
    When i ran a trapping line all them years ago no spring poles or drag weights after the first week or two i would say i had it down to a fine art have not had a fox alive in years in the snares i had set .

How long were they in it before you checked though, a couple of hours of torture seems too much to me. I can not see without spring poles how you can kill them reasonably quickly to be honest with ye.

Is trapping not classed as part of hunting?, you are givinging out here about a legal form of hunting i do not think that this thread belongs in the hunting forum you are trying to stir it might be better in the animal and pet forum,ENEMY NO I the fox by hook or by crook thats my view sorry if you do not like it but thats the way it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sniperman

Agree....but how many foxes are grained on a fox drive or shot and are runners when lamping.

yes i know what your saying,but when caught in a snare,the animal is terrified and can be struggling to break free for god knows how many hours,then if not dead,has to watch the trapper come up the field getting closer and closer,all it wants to do is get away,so it tries again causing more injury,and is terrified even more,no animal deserves that,no matter how much of a pest they are,yes shooters do wound,and yes they can run away and die,but one cant compare that to the suffering that can occur when caught in a snare,like i said,im not in favor of snares,others are,im not,thats me.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Is it not trapping and not hunting?

All part of the one big family digging them out,lamping them ,fox shoots during day, the hunts [hounds and horses] ,lurchers and trapping some people dont like lamping some the hunt some lurchers and snares, in this day and age we should all stick togeather and not be giving out about some form of our sport a winged pheasant lost duck winged and diving lost, fox badly hit do you not think that they suffer a slow death, most of the time they are found but not all the time you just have to get on with it, if we all started to think like some of you we might as well give up the sport .

All part of the one big family digging them out,lamping them ,fox shoots during day, the hunts [hounds and horses] ,lurchers and trapping some people dont like lamping some the hunt some lurchers and snares, in this day and age we should all stick togeather.

Well that is your view and not everybody's.

All part of the one big family digging them out,lamping them ,fox shoots during day, the hunts [hounds and horses] ,lurchers and trapping some people dont like lamping some the hunt some lurchers and snares, in this day and age we should all stick togeather and not be giving out about some form of our sport a winged pheasant lost duck winged and diving lost, fox badly hit do you not think that they suffer a slow death, most of the time they are found but not all the time you just have to get on with it, if we all started to think like some of you we might as well give up the sport .

Yeah, it is trapping not hunting as should be obvious to all sportspeople. The fact is hunting people should stick together to protect the sport itself. When certain methods cause extensive distress to an animal I think you will find most sportspeople will disagree with that method as most have a similar code of ethics for their prey. A winged Pheasant or duck was not intentional and most good dogs will find it. With a wounded fox this mostly happens when flushing using shotguns and generally from overestimating what a shotgun is capable off. When lamping any of the small bore flat trajectory centre fire rounds will stop a fox if hit anywhere above the midrift. Snareing is deliberate and works by choking the animal slowly. This in my book does not promote the hunting cause at all, can not be classed as hunting under no circumstances, is unfair to the animals involved and those not intended to be involved who get caught in them. Most hunters will absolutely minimise any pain or distress to their quarry and would class themselves as humane people which indeed the vast majority are.

• Advertisement

Fastnet50 wrote: »
    Yeah, it is trapping not hunting as should be obvious to all sportspeople. The fact is hunting people should stick together to protect the sport itself. When certain methods cause extensive distress to an animal I think you will find most sportspeople will disagree with that method as most have a similar code of ethics for their prey. A winged Pheasant or duck was not intentional and most good dogs will find it. With a wounded fox this mostly happens when flushing using shotguns and generally from overestimating what a shotgun is capable off. When lamping any of the small bore flat trajectory centre fire rounds will stop a fox if hit anywhere above the midrift. Snareing is deliberate and works by choking the animal slowly. This in my book does not promote the hunting cause at all, can not be classed as hunting under no circumstances, is unfair to the animals involved and those not intended to be involved who get caught in them. Most hunters will absolutely minimise any pain or distress to their quarry and would class themselves as humane people which indeed the vast majority are.

What are you talking about ,throw that book away I would not let any animal suffer and have no time for them who do,124 members in the clubs I am in ,might of been 1member who did not like the snaers so that makes 123 with no problem so when you say most hunters your way out their man ,as long as they are legal I will continue to use them just doing something that has been done for hundreds of years . You should apply for a job as spokes person for the antis fineshed with this thread it's a load of balls.

You snare animals so you do let them suffer. up to 50 years ago people snared rabbits and foxes to make a living as there used to be wild rabbits hanging outside butchers shops and I am old enough to remember some of that as a child. Foxes were sold for their coat. They also used gin traps back then which was worse but at least they did so to provide for their families. I am not trying to get at you although you seem to be taking it personally. I am not by any stretch an anti shooting sports person but I started this thread due to another conversation re scorched earth where some people basically said they would trap foxes in the months they were nursing pups, which I would not do either. There is nothing in this country I haven't hunted but when it comes to snares, digging out, even ferrets then for those acts I do not consider appropriate behaviour and would be an Anti to those activities. I just wanted the general opinion of people on this type of practise and looking at the comments I got I am reasonably happy that most do not associate themselves with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

I think this thread should be closed, its a load of bollox, snaring is 1 of the best ways to control fox if done correctly, a snare is placed to restrain a fox not choke them, if ye know nothing about snaring then dont set the fecking things

Stupid threads like this are ammo for the antis

Fastnet50 wrote:
    Yeah, it is trapping not hunting as should be obvious to all sportspeople. The fact is hunting people should stick together to protect the sport itself.

When did controlling vermin on my farm become a sport? If so I'd like to get a Govt grant from the sports council. It's something that's needed to protect my animals

A legal snare does not choke an animal, it holds them till you dispatch it. That's why you check the snare, last time I used them twice a day.

Are some of you sportsmen now going comment on how ye should look to ban Larsen traps and mink traps mouse traps and rat traps.

There is a strong opinion here which is good, but don't try ram your views positive or negative down someone else throat. This will always be an immotive subject as is the topic of Lamping vs fox drives.........and as we know lamping foxes at night is deadly dangerous and shouldn't be allowed...mad poachers out with military weapons shining torches in people's windows while casing joints and thrashing people's snares:)

......I think the thread will never get consensus and will just turn into more of a row.

Fastnet50 wrote: »
    I am reasonably happy that most do not associate themselves with it at all.

I personally would not draw any conclusion from an internet thread. The number of people who have replied has been tiny. Conclusions based on this thread so far would be meaningless statistically.

Don't underestimate the amount of people who just couldn't be arsed getting pulled into pointless arguments. I've no problem with the use of snares but I have no interest in a discussion/debate with anyone who has their mind so solidly made up. It's not like my level of debating skill will change your mind. I have stayed out of it and will continue to do so :D

Vegeta wrote: »
    I personally would not draw any conclusion from an internet thread. The number of people who have replied has been tiny. Conclusions based on this thread so far would be meaningless statistically.

Don't underestimate the amount of people who just couldn't be arsed getting pulled into pointless arguments. I've no problem with the use of snares but I have no interest in a discussion/debate with anyone who has their mind so solidly made up. It's not like my level of debating skill will change your mind. I have stayed out of it and will continue to do so :D

That is so true from everybody's opinion Vegata, better close the thread please as it is going nowhere.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Reading the posts here, one poster claims his snares kill the foxes and that is the correct way while another poster claims the purpose of snares is to hold the fox alive until it can be humanely dispatched and that is the legal way. So who is right? Does anyone actually know what the legal position is, if there even is one? My own position - I don't use snares and know little or nothing about the subject.

I think from on the television or internet everybody must have seen images of snaring rightly set or wrongly set, legal or illegal.

Nobody is interested in finding out the ins and outs, the rights and wrongs.

It's a no brainer, a no win situation, end of, period.

Thread closed at request of OP

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement