Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked iPhone 6 screen - options?

Options
  • 15-03-2017 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

Hi

As title, droppped my iPhone 6 and cracked the screen. Everything is working otherwise.
    I've no insurance or Apple care but wondering what's the best option to get it repaired with a genuine part. Is it the whole touchscreen that needs to be replaced or can just the glass be changed?
    I'd have the option of bringing it to an Apple store in London if that was the best approach but it looks like they'd charge £126.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

pay the money for a genuine replacement.
    After humming and hawwing and seeing the inferior replacements on my ipad I ponied up and paid the €174 to replace the glass on my 6+, Apple actually replaced the whole phone and it was out of warranty. Can't go wrong for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Yes, it'll be a genuine replacement only. I checked with Vodafone this afternoon and a repair with them might cost up to €295.
    I'm seven months to the end of my contract so in a months time I can avail of upgrade anytime. For €355 I can get a 7 128GB so that might be an option. I'd still get the 6S repaired as a spare is always handy. I'll do a bit more research and might get it done in London.

Blazer wrote: »
    pay the money for a genuine replacement.
    After humming and hawwing and seeing the inferior replacements on my ipad I ponied up and paid the €174 to replace the glass on my 6+, Apple actually replaced the whole phone and it was out of warranty. Can't go wrong for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

You should be able to get it done through CompuB for something like €140, they're an authorised apple centre and you can get a loan iPhone for about €30 for however long it takes

You should be able to get it done through CompuB for something like €140, they're an authorised apple centre and you can get a loan iPhone for about €30 for however long it takes

Thanks - that's not too bad. I have a phone I can use temporarily. At least I'd know Apple parts would be used. I think the Apple store would charge about £128 so around the same. At least I have options.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I'd Definitley go with the Apple repair... all the other ones just aren't worth it... it's a pain butgey an otter box and some proper tempered glass afterwards

• Advertisement

I'd Definitley go with the Apple repair... all the other ones just aren't worth it... it's a pain butgey an otter box and some proper tempered glass afterwards

I've dropped phones more than a few times over the years and this is the first damage I've sustained. I just have a simple slipcase that does me fine. Can you add tempered glass as well? I don't think I've come across that.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Phones are like bars of soap to me! I'm always smashing them.
    You can buy a tempered glass screen and put it over your screen to protect it

Got it repaired at Apple Store in Covent Garden. £129 and only took 1.5 hours. They also gave me a new battery as my phone is affected by the battery suddenly going flat bug. They replaced it even though I told them that Vodafone had already replaced it for the same reason. My phone is now on its third battery but I'm happy.
    I won't bother upgrading to the 7.

Phones are like bars of soap to me! I'm always smashing them.
    You can buy a tempered glass screen and put it over your screen to protect it

Advertisement