Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with file sharing

• 15-03-2017 9:52pm

I have a PC at home which I share with my wife. We both have separate accounts so we can have our own internet browsers set up with our own passwords for email, social media etc our own apps, desktop etc.

However there are lots of files that we both share and edit separately. To solve this we put all these files in the public folder and we both have access which has been fine for the past few years. Now as more family members use the PC I want to setup a separate account for them without access to our personal files. Any way to do this? I have setup the account and it can access the public folder. I remembered trying to share folders with my wife before i came up with the public folder solution but it never seemed to work properly.

I have windows 10

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have a PC at home which I share with my wife. We both have separate accounts so we can have our own internet browsers set up with our own passwords for email, social media etc our own apps, desktop etc.

However there are lots of files that we both share and edit separately. To solve this we put all these files in the public folder and we both have access which has been fine for the past few years. Now as more family members use the PC I want to setup a separate account for them without access to our personal files. Any way to do this? I have setup the account and it can access the public folder. I remembered trying to share folders with my wife before i came up with the public folder solution but it never seemed to work properly.

I have windows 10

In file manager, right click on that folder you're sharing with your wife, and click on properties.
    Then choose security tab and click on Advanced button, and then click on Add button.

Click on "select principal" and write a user name of person you want to prohibit access to your folder. It's either user name or in case of microsoft account email address used.
    Change type to Deny, and choose Applies to Folder, subfolder and files.
    And under basic permission select Full Control.

Then Confirm everything with clicking OK few times, and job is done.

Just make sure that user you want to prohibit from accessing your folder is not in Administrators group.

If you want to prohibit more users from the folder, you can create and add them all to separate group and set permissions as above for the whole group.

Or alternatively, set yourself and wife to certain group, and only allow access to the folder for that group.

Remember though, if someone is really into it, they'll find a way to read that folder if they wish to, even by booting a PC to different OS from USB.

CiniO wrote: »
    In file manager, right click on that folder you're sharing with your wife, and click on properties.
    Then choose security tab and click on Advanced button, and then click on Add button.

Click on "select principal" and write a user name of person you want to prohibit access to your folder. It's either user name or in case of microsoft account email address used.
    Change type to Deny, and choose Applies to Folder, subfolder and files.
    And under basic permission select Full Control.

Then Confirm everything with clicking OK few times, and job is done.

Just make sure that user you want to prohibit from accessing your folder is not in Administrators group.

If you want to prohibit more users from the folder, you can create and add them all to separate group and set permissions as above for the whole group.

Or alternatively, set yourself and wife to certain group, and only allow access to the folder for that group.

Remember though, if someone is really into it, they'll find a way to read that folder if they wish to, even by booting a PC to different OS from USB.

Thanks for all this. Exactly what I needed

Advertisement