Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing/alterating decoration in rented property

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,364 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It may be your home, but they aren't your walls. :)
    lizzie92 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    When these are taken down, there will be marks on the wall, not just holes from the fixings, but also the variation in discolouration of the paint between the hidden and exposed parts of the part of the wall. This means re-painting is more likely and the landlord will want to charge you for that. Alternatively, agree with the landlord that you will gift them the shelves.
    Also when it comes to moving some furniture into different rooms but still keeping them on the same property, do I really have to let him know that I need to move my table to the next room etc??
    I don't think anyone cares much, just move them back when you move out. Don't annoy the neighbours when doing the moving. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

There are things you can us to stick pictures etc up that aren't permanent or damaging to walls.

With regards shelves or painting I would ask the LL'S permission. Most would have no problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

It is important to get any permission in writing. Doing anything without written permission leaves you open to being accused of a breach of condition and could result in the termination of your tenancy. Quite often there may be no objection in principle but the landlord or agent may have a view as to how something should be done. For example they may want particular materials used, or done in particular places or at a certain height. You will most likely be only doing work occasionally so it isn't that much of a hassle to contact the landlord. Some landlords will get the work done themselves using their own tradesman at no cost to the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzie92

• Registered Users Posts: 32,505 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

lizzie92 wrote: »
    For hanging things on a wall I would recommend command strips they don't damage wall at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

Those clauses are quite standard. Moving free-standing furniture around and other ad-hoc decorative decisions won't cause damage to plaster and paint work, but fixing shelves and pictures to the wall will. If they allow it, expect to have to refill and paint when you're moving out. You might have a better chance of approval if the house hasn't recently been refurbished by the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,645 ✭✭✭Milly33

Ah tis just a standard lease.. They are all the same.. I would take a look around and perhaps if there is anything ye would like changed mention it now before signing the lease or ask for it to be put on the lease. Like if ye wanted to hang curtain poles, or if you didnt want certain furniture they have in the house.. For things like redecorating then best to ask the landlord first and get his written permission (dont do verbal).. After that lets say like if you do hang stuff just remember to fix it before ye leave

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzie92

Advertisement