Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for mortgage questions

• 15-03-2017 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi everyone,

Just a quick question on our mortgage application. Any help would be much appreciated.

We have been asked by the bank to submit the last 6 months bank statements from all our bank accounts. We have a joint account and a personal account each which they are now aware of. Within the last 6 months I have used my personal account to lodge one transaction of €20 in to a Boylesports account. I hear horror stories of how any form of gambling is a straight rejection to a mortgage application. Clearly tho, I'm not much of a gambler but would be an absolute pain if our application got rejected because of one transaction as the bank seem happy with the rest of the documents we have provided.

We have a viewing tomorrow but are afraid to leave a deposit in case our application gets rejected.

Has anyone got any experience of their application being rejected or accepted with gambling transactions on their statements? Or any advice on what to do tomorrow

Thanks,
    Gary

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

What's a tracker......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Hi Gary,

I'm not sure, it's taken on an individual basis.

Regards,
    me_irl

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I had gambling and all kinds of weird sh*t on mine, they didn't see to care, you'll be fine it's not like you're blowing all your wages on online gambling every week

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭bigpoppa

Nothing to worry about here

If the viewing works out, leave a deposit, it'll be returned at any time before ye sign contracts if ye can't proceed. Paying a booking deposit to an Auctioneer has no binding effect, ye can withdraw without even giving a reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I wouldn't worry about one transaction.I got my mortgage with 3 bookmaker transaction over 1 month period.

A lot of people play the lotto which is also gambling but it's usually cash so doesn't appear on the statement.

What is correct is that the deciding underwriter of the loan wants to see consistent credits and debits that reflect normal day to day living costs.Wages in , rent out, utility bills etc...
    For instance if there are gaping holes in your statements with unexplained large cash debits and random big purchases that leave you dry till the next payday may cause concern if not explained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

One transaction isn't going to make any difference. What they're looking for is a pattern emerging of a gambling habit. If your statements are otherwise normal and you've got an ongoing track record of saving/paying everything on time, you'll be grand. Good luck!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Thread has been moved from After Hours to this forum which is more appropriate. Please read the local charter before posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

Gary0345,
    You have nothing to worry about with one transaction. What underwriter are looking for is regular gambling. An odd bet on Cheltenham or indeed Irish Grand National/ Galway Races would be acceptable and ignored.

Go ahead and put down your deposit and best of luck.

Advertisement