Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike missing after accident

Options
  • 16-03-2017 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

Hi all. Posting this in hope.

Last Thursday 9th March my son had a bad fall from his bike commuting to NUI Maynooth at the Harbour area near the train station in Maynooth sustaining some very bad facial injuries and a concussion. Thanks to some vigilant responders at the scene who called for help he was attended by the ambulance service and taken to hospital in Blanchardstown. He is recovering well at home now thankfully.
    We are now trying to trace his bike hoping that someone may have taken care of it at the time.
    I have contacted the Garda station in Leixlip but no joy there unfortunately.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

glassdoc wrote: »
    Hi all. Posting this in hope.

Last Thursday 9th March my son had a bad fall from his bike commuting to NUI Maynooth at the Harbour area near the train station in Maynooth sustaining some very bad facial injuries and a concussion. Thanks to some vigilant responders at the scene who called for help he was attended by the ambulance service and taken to hospital in Blanchardstown. He is recovering well at home now thankfully.
    We are now trying to trace his bike hoping that someone may have taken care of it at the time.
    I have contacted the Garda station in Leixlip but no joy there unfortunately.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Hope your son recovers well and some kind passerby is just storing your bike - there's a good chance of that I'd say and it'd be worth knocking on a few doors in the neighbourhood maybe?
    Unfortunately i've heard of this happening before and a valuable bike, not to mention an important piece of evidence in the accident, just disappeared, presumably when the injured fella was taken away. In that case the Guards just didn't seem to care, not my job kind of attitude that you see often in relation to bike theft, accidents, etc. Imagine a car worth a lot of money being left with doors open on the side of the road...
    Anyway, as I say there's a good chance it's being looked after somewhere. People, in the main, are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,432 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Good luck on the recovery.

It might be worthwhile sticking up a notice at the scene asking for witnesses to the crash (don't mention the missing bike yet).

Would the ambulance crew know?

Do you have a photo of the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd imagine that if someone was storing it, they would have made contact with the Gardai to assist in it's return to the owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

I had a bad accident not so long ago and eventually found that the guys from the fire truck had taken the bike to the fire station lock up for me...hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 6,485 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I came across an accident and I took the bus bike and locked it up in my workplace. Even though I wrote him a note and put it in his pocket he lost the note. I did however say it to a guard who arrived on the scene and gave him my details. A couple of weeks later I got a call and I met the guy to give him his bike. I wouldn't automatically assume that the bike is stolen. There are good people everywhere. Contact the local guards as they may have it or know where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 214kingsbry

Your bike is in The Scouts Den in Maynooth. I saw a post on Maynooth Cycling page

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Your bike is in The Scouts Den in Maynooth. I saw a post on Maynooth Cycling page

best first post I've ever seen :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

@glassdoc - I'm involved in the scouts in Maynooth. PM me your number and I'll give you a call to get the bike returned if it's there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Just confirmed that the bike is in the scout den. I haven't seen it myself but I'm told there's damage to the front forks so it will need to be transported away. I'll PM you my number. Give me a call and I can pop down and open up for you to retrieve it.

Hope your son is recovering ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Man the world just gets smaller and smaller,well done both of you's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Boards.ie at it's finest :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭wanderer 22

Glassdoc has gone very quiet. Is he also being held captive in the Scouts den in Maynooth? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The power of boards, well done guys... :)

I dropped someone in Maynooth Cycling Campaign a line and they put it on their Facebook. :)

• Fair play boards.ie to the rescue once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Greatest thread ever...no bickering .... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

This thread has restored my faith in my fellow man!!!

God bless you all!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

This is one if the best posts that I have read on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

Hi all.

WOW. What can I say??
    Just spoke with Orion and will hopefully be recovering the bike at the weekend. I'm just amazed at the response. Thank you so much to everyone for the comments etc.
    My son has recovered brilliantly, the power of youth!!
    More importantly, the power of boards.ie ;)
    He was told at the scene where his bike would be but unfortunately (or fortunately) has no memory of the accident.

A heartfelt thanks again. Happy St. Patrick's Day. Slainte

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Miaireland wrote: »
    This is one if the best posts that I have read on boards.

and one of the most thanked i've ever seen :)

great work all and glad to hear that glassdoc junior is in good shape!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Absolutely awesome! Kudos kudos kudos!

glassdoc wrote: »
    He was told at the scene where his bike would be but unfortunately (or fortunately) has no memory of the accident.
    I slipped on ice on Christmas Day in 2009 and was concussed. The whole day was like reading a book by only reading every tenth page. I had worn new jeans that I had bought the day before and was sure I had taken the labels off. Yet, when I used the bathroom in the hospital there was a selection of labels on them.

It turns out that I had changed the jeans as they were wet after the fall and put on the other pair that I had bought. I didn't remember this until my brother told me the day after - immediately after the fall, he had found me sitting in the bedroom, staring at the jeans wondering what I was doing with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Victor wrote: »
    I slipped on ice on Christmas Day in 2009 and was concussed. The whole day was like reading a book by only reading every tenth page. I had worn new jeans that I had bought the day before and was sure I had taken the labels off. Yet, when I used the bathroom in the hospital there was a selection of labels on them.

It turns out that I had changed the jeans as they were wet after the fall and put on the other pair that I had bought. I didn't remember this until my brother told me the day after - immediately after the fall, he had found me sitting in the bedroom, staring at the jeans wondering what I was doing with them.

And now you want us to find the jeans? or the label? or the ice? or the book? Seven years ago... no bother at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

choons wrote: »
    Boards.ie at it's finest :D

The internet at its finest. :cool:

Roadtoad wrote: »
    And now you want us to find the jeans? or the label? or the ice? or the book? Seven years ago... no bother at all!

Still looking for my brainz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Pure class!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,562 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Brilliant thread!
    I'd been feeling a bit down about St Patricks day and the whole awful Tuam thing, this restores my faith about my country at least a bit.
    Well done to all concerned here. And I'm glad the lad is getting better too!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭glassdoc

Just an update on this one.
    My son has returned to college and has been re-united with his bike by Orion.
    Thanks again to everyone for the help, yez are a grand wee bunch ;)
    Enjoy the Summer this weekend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

What a welcome relief to read such a thread these days! We rarely get a chance of late to read or hear of good news. Great to see communities can still come together and help each other in Ireland, whether they be online or in real life. Well played Boards.ie community! Well played!

OP, thanks for also coming back to update everyone on the bike and more importantly your sons recovery. Delighted to see he is back to college already and I wish him all the success he hopes for.

• Advertisement
Advertisement