Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kitchen Appliance recommendations sought

Options
  • 16-03-2017 12:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Looking for advice re appliances for the kitchen. What manufacturers are good, which have you had bad experience with.

Need a fridge/freezer, washing machine, condenser dryer, cooker(,all in one is fine), hood extractir fan, and dishwasher.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Bosch, Neff and Siemens

They all pretty much come from the same factory. Some will be the same appliances rebranded.

Bosch is the cheapest and the stuff is excellent quality. I know a landlord, where about 10 people who have used a Bosch washing machine for nearly 15 years and it is still going strong. I know people with 20 year old Bosch dishwashers

It is not super cheap, but it lasts a long time.

Powercity tends to be the best for appliances IMO. They have the largest selection and they will give discounts. Particularly on end of line stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

The makes mentioned above are good.
    Whatever you do avoid zanussi.
    Zanussi used to be good, but now I avoid them like the plague.
    I think everything they have biult in the last 5 years is made to last less than 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Cheers for the replies, any one have any experience with beko or nordmende

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭size5

My last washing machine machine to go into a rented house was Beko. That was on the advise of a repair man that claimed there Beko had made big improvements in the applicances.

No issue with the washing machine we installed and thats 5 years later

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I have had good experience with the Beko equipment with tenants. The stuff seems to have gotten better over the years.

At least a beko is a beko and might have been made by beko. The names on the other stuff, who knows what the names actually mean. AEG, Zanussi and a few more, all owned by Electrolux. Merloni own a bunch of others and Candy others still. Nordmende is a weird one. The distributor in Ireland has rights for the name in Ireland. It's just a name they use on stuff. Bosch and Siemens and Neff are more or less the same company. The various names are positioned differently in the market. They just got this stuff made in various places. By all means, you can get a fabulous Bosch dishwasher, but they also sell washers that are also very much plain-jane (nothing wrong with them but nothing special).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Recently advised by a guy who fixes domestic appliances to only buy Miele, Bosch or Siemens. He said they are better quality (Miele being the best) but also they can be repaired - while things like Hotpoint, Whirlpool etc are not even worth repairing.

I always buy Bosch myself - my parents always bought Bosch appliances and some of them are still going 30 years later -and parts are still available to buy for them if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

args. i hhad a beko - 2 actuallye. My landlord loves them. However the spare part supplier for beko in ireland is out of business - Ll had to buy a whole new machine cause we couldn't replace 10 quid filter. The second Beko went up in smoke within 2 weeks..some wire inside tripped and smoke and fire came out. Now with a nrodmende, love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,886 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Beko is low-mid range Turkish kit. Nordemende is rebraned, lowest of the low end Turkish kit. Neither are quality brands or have good parts supply chains.

Nordemende is not a real brand - it is a company here getting stickers put on other kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It just shows that luck can have something to do with it. Everybody makes in Turkey now I think but for sure there are different levels of quality.

A lot comes down to cost to make this stuff. There are a lot of moving parts in a dishwasher for a few hundred euros.

I don't think anyone can say anymore definitively that the cheapest Bosch is definitely worse than the best beko. There was a time you could but not anymore.

It is great to talk about machines being repairable but the service and parts aren't cheap at all. See this thread. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056841601

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

args. i hhad a beko - 2 actuallye. My landlord loves them. However the spare part supplier for beko in ireland is out of business - Ll had to buy a whole new machine cause we couldn't replace 10 quid filter. The second Beko went up in smoke within 2 weeks..some wire inside tripped and smoke and fire came out. Now with a nrodmende, love it.

My last three rented properties had nordmende, fridge/freezer and washing machine all worked fine

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Samsung fridge, washing machine, oven, cooker and microwave.
    Bosch kettle, toaster. Krupps Nespresso.

All products bought on the cheap as end of line in B&Q/DID/Powercity

I avoid Kenwood like the plague- I had a microwave that actually managed to blow a hole in its side- it was actually quite spectacular. I had a Morphy Richards toaster and kettle- there was a cracking sound the very first time I put on the kettle- obviously something broke in it. The toaster tripped my circuit breaker......

Have a Samsung under the counter freezer hidden in the cupboard under the stairs- its been there 5-6 years, other than my kids forgetting to close the door on it- its never given me an ounce of trouble.........

I have a particular love of Samsung products- other people may disagree with me- but I've had nothing but good experiences with them. They cost a hell of a lot more these days than they did 10 years ago though..........

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

Have a neff dishwasher still going strong after 6years highly recommend it. Washing machine was whirlpool piece of crap was expensive and literally died at exactly 3years old have a beko for last 3 years it's good for price it was. First dryer was beko died after exactly 5years have another beko for the last year got the replacement to the model we had. Then the fridge is a Samsung 'frost free' American fridge freezer also 6 year old gets a big build up of ice which puts huge strain on fan and trying to defrost it is a pain wouldn't buy a Samsung fridge again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

It just shows that luck can have something to do with it. Everybody makes in Turkey now I think but for sure there are different levels of quality.

A lot comes down to cost to make this stuff. There are a lot of moving parts in a dishwasher for a few hundred euros.

I don't think anyone can say anymore definitively that the cheapest Bosch is definitely worse than the best beko. There was a time you could but not anymore.

It is great to talk about machines being repairable but the service and parts aren't cheap at all. See this thread. http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056841601

Bosch makes very little, if anything in Turkey. They are producing more stuff in Spain and Greece. I actually seen a Bosch washer/dryer made in China. I was not made on the fact that it was Chinese, until I used it and it is actually really impressive. It seems as sturdy as your regular German made Bosch

AFAIK a fair amount of the parts for Bosch are made in China.

Bosch are a high tech company too. They make a lot of sensor for car makers and even make parts for Tesla

IMO a cheap Bosch is better than a expensive Beko. A cheap Bosch will still last a decade. A Beko probably wont. The fact is a cheap Bosch will probably last longer than an expensive Beko for the simple reason, the less high tech and complex an item is, the less that can go wrong with it. It is like driving a Seat versus a Merc. The less electronics, the less that can go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

I pretty much only go for bosch or Siemens as have found them to be the most reliable and robust

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

purely for the parts chain alone (not that you'll be changing too much) bosch where you can.

excellent kit and when it does break, same day parts availability is pretty common, mores than most manufacturers.

Advertisement