Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Macro lens

• 16-03-2017 9:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I use a Nikon D3000 camera with the standard zoom lens af-s Nikkor 18-55mm. I use the camera to take photos of prescription glasses and sunglasses for my website. I use a lightbox to sit the glasses in. Now the kit takes a decent image but I cannot get the camera to take a sharp crisp image.

I have the camera set to Aperture at F22, exposure +2.0, image quality fine, Set picture control to Vivid, ISO 100, white balance at auto.

I need the aperture at F22 as this gives me the clearest image of the entire glasses frame I am photographing.

I am guessing that I would need a proper macro lens. But I will need something that has a wide enough angle to take in the entire image.

Thanks in advance folks

Comments

Stick up an example of the results you're getting from the camera if you don't mind.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

What focal length are you using?

Is the subject entirely in focus, that is will it focus on the closest point to the lens/camera?

I am also assuming you have the camera on a tripod using a shutter release and exposing in manual. At f22 in auto the shutter speed may get low and may make the images less than sharp.

If it's not movement blur or noise the the cheapest option may be to get some Macro Rings which will allow closer focus distance. Much cheaper than a dedicated macro lens.

As suggested throw up some examples of the images. That way we can see if it's focus or depth of field problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

endplate wrote: »
    Hi all,

I cannot get the camera to take a sharp crisp image.

Do you mean that only some of it is sharp or none of it is sharp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

Right an update. I have since started using the external flash and hey presto I have very sharp detailed images again. It just looks like the light box wasn't giving me enough light and the camera was bumping up the iso. The flash is causing a small shadow but nothing a bit of brightening of the image in photoshop can't cure.

Advertisement