Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are my options? Insuring two cars

Options
  • 16-03-2017 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I bought a new car from the uk but when I rang the insurance to update the policy to cover the uk reg, I was told that my old car could only be included as part of the same policy for a maximum of two weeks.

I then asked if I could make a new policy for the old car starting with 0 NCB.

I was told that it's not allowed and I need to submit a request to a special authority which might decline it and it will negatively impact the chances of getting insurance in the future.

Does this story make sense?

I would own both cars under my name and I'm insured with AIG.

I'm planning on selling my old car (2008 opel corsa) but I haven't managed yet so not sure how long will that take.

A dealer offered 2800 for it but I thought I could get at least 4 for it. I'm not in a rush to sell, but obviously if insurance will cost me 2k cos I have 0 years NCB, I might as well sell it for 2800 to a dealer.

I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why do you need to insure both cars together? If your selling the Corsa private then the test drive of the buyer will need to come under their driving of other cars extension rather than your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Hi there,

I don't really want to insure the old one cos I won't be using it.

But can a potential buyer insure a car which they don't own (yet)?

And also, can I leave a car uninsured on the road waiting for a buyer to show up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

j4vier wrote: »
    Hi there,

I don't really want to insure the old one cos I won't be using it.

But can a potential buyer insure a car which they don't own (yet)?

And also, can I leave a car uninsured on the road waiting for a buyer to show up?

Have you somewhere that it can be safely parked up ie garage, private land etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

Rod Munch wrote: »
    Have you somewhere that it can be safely parked up ie garage, private land etc?

Unfortunately no, it's on street parking where I live

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

j4vier wrote: »
    Unfortunately no, it's on street parking where I live

AFAIK, a private motor policy only applies to a single vehicle at a time. If you want to keep 2 motors insured at the same time, you will need 2 policies. As the NCB applies to the policy, you will not be able to have both policies attract the same NCB.

I don't know what this authority is that allows or disallows you to have more than one policy. In my experience, the insurance company has always made that decision itself . However, this whole area has been tightened up in the last few years to prevent parents taking out more than one policy so that a son or daughter can drive more cheaply as a named driver.

If your old car is parked on the public road without valid motor tax, it can be seized. If it doesn't have a valid insurance disc, it may also be in danger of seizure. In any event, when you go on a test drive with a prospective buyer, you will not be covered and will be liable for any 3rd party claim in the event of a prang, if your car dos not have a current policy. I do not believe that the tester's own policy will cover you legally, especially if s/he decides not to 'play ball' in the event of a prang. This is all murky territory in my view. I would recommend that you try and find somewhere to safely store /park the old car, off the public road. When you do get around to selling it, you will need to transfer your cover back from the new to the old one until you get rid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement