Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Robin Hedge Help

Options
  • 16-03-2017 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi guys, have a red robin hedge i sewed two years ago. I've trimmed it back a couple of time however i dont see yet that the branches are really thickening or gaps closing. I'm just wondering is there something i'm doing wrong? You can see from photo i already have lots of lovely new growth but not sure whether i should be trimming this now again? Can you please help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How tall is that fence?

edit: spacing is important. I have two of these hedges, about 6-8ft high and very mature. Both single row of plants, one 2ft apart and one 3-4ft apart.

The 2ft spaced one looks great, the 3-4ft spaced one looks like a series of bushes that have grown together.

Both of them are against a wooden fence which works well because there isn't enough growth low down to provide a complete screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭briancarr82

the fence is i suppose about a metre tall, it's growing against a whitce picket fence (See oic). They're spaced about 1.5 feet apart which is what was recommended to me at time of planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,073 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well I'm new to this hedge so you may want to hang on for more experienced advice but I'm going to prune mine in the next couple of weeks.

https://www.gardenseeker.com/pruning/pruning_photinia.htm

Advertisement