Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a tenant withhold rent for repairs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

pilly wrote: »
    Yeah but would you leave heating not working for 7 weeks?

Yea 7 weeks is quite a long time, as long as it is reasonable then i suppose..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Boater123 wrote: »
    And out of curiosity, how much money has the tenant actually handed over in compensation to the LL to date?

so far just their deposit. 2 years later thats all

godtabh wrote: »
    so far just their deposit. 2 years later thats all

Disgraceful, id be at their front door every week kicking up a major fuss looking for my money and make it known to people what time of scum they are living beside, working with etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

People are getting mixed up here between the OP's case and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Perhaps my fault, to address that issue:

No rent can not be withheld. As per post #2

• Advertisement

Not me, my previous post was about the other case being mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

allibastor wrote: »
    Quick one, I had previously posted about tenat not paying rent,

I was told by the EA that they have now said that as machine repiars were not done, that is why they withheld the rent.

Can someone withold the rent for repairs not be done.

Before anyone asks, we have tried a number of times to perform these, but tenant is not playing ball

Do you have direct contact with the tenants as well as the EA who manages your property? Any of the issues that I've had with renting have been when there's an EA acting as intermediary. One in particular basically just ignored any communication from all tenants (which covered malfunctioning fridges, ovens, dishwashers, washing machines, all that sort of stuff - as well as some problems like damp and mould).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Achasanai wrote: »
    Do you have direct contact with the tenants as well as the EA who manages your property? Any of the issues that I've had with renting have been when there's an EA acting as intermediary. One in particular basically just ignored any communication from all tenants (which covered malfunctioning fridges, ovens, dishwashers, washing machines, all that sort of stuff - as well as some problems like damp and mould).

Tried to call, but was advised that I cant be seen to harras either

Disgraceful, id be at their front door every week kicking up a major fuss looking for my money and make it known to people what time of scum they are living beside, working with etc.

I don't think I can do this, wouldn't it be legally lible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

If someone came up to me raving about their bad tenant who happens to be my neighbour, I'd think they were a loon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

I suppose if you were at the front door kicking up a fuss every week you could also get around to doing those repairs.

Not me, my previous post was about the other case being mentioned.

Well in the other case the tenants are long gone so there'd be no point knocking on the door.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    I suppose if you were at the front door kicking up a fuss every week you could also get around to doing those repairs.

I'm taking about the other case not the ops and also you are basically defending the tenants who are not paying rent and refusing to arrange a time for the LL to fix the problem.
    Well in the other case the tenants are long gone so there'd be no point knocking on the door.

I mean I'd track them down to their new rental and hound them for the money they owe me.

I mean I'd track them down to their new rental and hound them for the money they owe me.

Highly unlikely! Sadly it happens all the time that people don't receive money owed or awarded to them. And finding out where someone lives and hounding them at home is straying into the realms of harassment and them owing you money wouldn't be a defence.

__Alex__ wrote: »
    Highly unlikely! Sadly it happens all the time that people don't receive money owed or awarded to them. And finding out where someone lives and hounding them at home is straying into the realms of harassment and them owing you money wouldn't be a defence.

It's more in the centre of the realm jumping up and down waving your arms around. :pac:

__Alex__ wrote: »

The intention would be to harsss them and embarrass them in front of their neighbours, friends and co-workers. If I'm owed money I don't sit on my hands, I have and will ensure I get it.

The intention would be to harsss them and embarrass them in front of their neighbours, friends and co-workers. If I'm owed money I don't sit on my hands, I have and will ensure I get it.

I completely understand your frustration but is it worth a criminal record?

I completely understand your frustration but is it worth a criminal record?

Yes, but you won't get one doing what I describe. It just won't happen.

It's textbook harassment - I know because I just looked at a textbook. :pac:

As said earlier, I'd be backing away from a randomer raving about money owed to them. I'd have no interest. Airing of dirty laundry in public is of no interest to many, especially if they don't know the people involved. Just sounds annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You would. And a restraining order along with it.

No rent again, issued notice again to move out, but like last time just ignored.

This is actually madness

No rent again, issued notice again to move out, but like last time just ignored.

This is actually madness

I thought RTB had said they'd hear the case within 30 days? What's happening with them?

I thought RTB had said they'd hear the case within 30 days? What's happening with them?

They asked for a copy of all documents to be sent to them, showing what we have said and done.

Nothing back since.

Plus, I was told by my solicitor that even when they make a judgement you need to get a sheriff involved to actually carry out the eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Plus, I was told by my solicitor that even when they make a judgement you need to get a sheriff involved to actually carry out the eviction.
    ye once you got a court order. Just follow the process - and do chase up the PRTB.

They asked for a copy of all documents to be sent to them, showing what we have said and done.

Nothing back since.

I'd be ringing them every day of the week.

I'm sorry that you're going through this but you need to be more proactive. Ring, ring, ring.

I'd be ringing them every day of the week.

I'm sorry that you're going through this but you need to be more proactive. Ring, ring, ring.

Hi,

Thanks, yeah we are chasing them up, but all we get told is "we have the documents with us, we are currently reviewing them and will be back to you in due course"

I wouldnt mind, one of the neighbors who I know well enough has said its just business as normal in the house there, I haven't said about rent arrears but asked them to make sure everything is OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

• Advertisement

Yeah, the agency we deal with has.

Advertisement