Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for Practical, Honest Consult. in Dublin for Australia living

• 16-03-2017 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭

I have been trying to find some kind of migration agent, or lawyer/consultant dealing with immigration to Australia that I can meet face to face in Dublin, but so far have found nothing.

Yes there is plenty of information online, but what I am looking for specifically is to sit down with an expert on the topic to explain not only the process of school-working visa-eventual permanent residency in Australia, but to look at my specific situation, analyze the practical challenges or chances of me qualifying for all the visa steps, and offer honest advice.

The only thing I found in Dublin is some company that offers 100 dollar Skype 30-minute sessions from Australia, but that hardly seems worth it. Apparently not even the Australian embassy in Ireland offers visa advice or knows who I can speak to.

Is there anyone who would who, or where I should look for this type of advice? Again, I just feel like a face-to-face in-person consultation in Dublin is really what I need.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 74 ✭✭GeorgeStobort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Way i see it you've 3 options:

-WHV is the cheaper one, and gets you in the door, 3 months approx farm work to get 2 years, then try and get sponsorship

-Do a skills assessment if your work is on the national skill list, and pony up the 4000 AUD to get a skilled worker visa. Skills assessment is 500 for IT from ACS but could be different depending on profession.

-Try and get a job and sponsorship before you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I'm pretty sure the reason they are hard to find is that anyone with the skills and understanding of the Australian immigration system is over in Australia making money off people who have gotten here and decided to stay and need assistance to make that happen rather than maintaining an office in a country that has a reasonably straightforward pathway to immigration.
    If you are concerned about the value of a $100 consult with someone in Australia who definitely has advanced information and knowledge and a client base over here, just imagine how much you would have to charge to try and run it as a business in Ireland.

What you are looking for probably exists in some form, but is probably about as useful as a psychic and marginally worse value for money.

If you haven't been over here, buy a ticket. If you have friends over here, touch base and plan a trip. All of the information is out there on the web somewhere, most of it is probably on this forum.

There are many ways over here, if you want to do it enough, you will find a way. The only way to find out if you want to stay here, ironically is to come here.

I would make that the first component of my plan.
    Save for ticket, plan WHV, secure 2nd WHV, reassess. It's not for everyone, during all that time, there are ways to remain: sponsorship, SQL, De-facto, walkabout etc.

Live it as your life and not just a trip and you will find a way.

I'm not saying don't do some homework, but nobody is going to care as much or take any responsibility for your choices except you, no professional can make these decisions for you.

If its all too much, read a book on critical thinking and planning, use some of the knowledge gleaned to do both.

I'm not being a smartass here, but a guru is not going to help, everyone's experience is different.

My last piece of advice is this:
    Homesickness can be a bas**rd when you least expect it, nobody is immune and nobody can preempt or prepare you for it. Keep in touch with loved ones no matter what happens. You are in their thoughts and on their minds as much as they are in yours.

Advertisement