Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Rice reaction?

Options
  • 16-03-2017 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy,

Just started my 5 1/2 months old on solids (using baby rice and formula milk)

He fed well,

But within 10minites the area around his lips and under his chin had turned rash red with small raised white bumps. Kind of splotchy like hives.

But he is still smiling and laughing his normal self.

Anyone else come across this and know of solutions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Six months is the recommended age to start solids.
    Baby rice is absolutely awful muck, if you want to start solids go straight to finger foods of real fruits and vegetables, just avoid all salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

lazygal wrote: »
    Six months is the recommended age to start solids.
    Baby rice is absolutely awful muck, if you want to start solids go straight to finger foods of real fruits and vegetables, just avoid all salt.

This. At that age I'd avoid buying processed food and just give them what you are having yourself in a mushed up form. I always had a handy box of baby food in the press just in case but never needed it because they always ate the same stuff we did. Give them lots of variety of flavours and textures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Cheers, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Rash vanished within 10minutes, was still bit of a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

My 3 yr old always seems to get this rash if he eats anything acidic, ie, citrus fruit, ketchup. It goes away in a few minutes, I reckon it's sensitive skin rather than an allergy. Could it have been from the spoon, scraping up spilled food? I agree to avoid baby rice as well, it has no nutritional value

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I never used baby rice for weaning on my 4 ,I could not see the point when there are so many nutritious foods to wean them .
    Try some veg instead and see how you get on . Sticks of Carrots and pears were some of the 1st foods my lot loved

• Advertisement

sorry for the delay.

Got it checked out. Milk allergy.

So few adjusts to be made.

Now to deal with his fever of 39.3C

There's always something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭2PieceJigsaw

Was just about to add it could also be from using a spoon to wipe away food from the lips/mouth some vaseline can help.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

one of mine had milk allergy, 1 was lactose intolerant. If you need any help with foods let me know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,571 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We used baby rice for a few weeks at about 4/5 months,

Followed that with our own homemade steamed/blended veg which he absolutely loved.

We got a brilliant Philips (I believe) combined steamer/blender and put lots of various veg in in many combinations and he loved it all.

Cheers for all the responses.

Greatly appreciated. This really is a 24/7 on call job. Lucky myself and partner are able to help each other but ive so much more respect for single mothers, no idea how they manage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

If you are making it with formula milk and the child is already on formula then how could it now be a milk allergy? Wouldn't this have presented itself before??

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

If you are making it with formula milk and the child is already on formula then how could it now be a milk allergy? Wouldn't this have presented itself before??

There's milk powder in the baby rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Lucyfur wrote: »
    There's milk powder in the baby rice.

Formula is powdered cows milk. Unless the baby was on non cows milk formula surely the allergy would have been obvious before rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

lazygal wrote: »
    Formula is powdered cows milk. Unless the baby was on non cows milk formula surely the allergy would have been obvious before rice.

Yes, true! Was half asleep when answering. Am dairy free myself as I'm breastfeeding a CMPA 6 month old. There's powdered milk in so much stuff. I never even thought that that's what formula is made from. I'll blame it on sleep deprivation!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,571 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I'll blame it on sleep deprivation! The joys of parenthood

FYP :D

Baby was breast fed, formula was just been introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭ronnie085

Starting weaning five and half month old, starting with baby rice and seen this thread, didn't release there are problems with baby rice, looked at the ingredients and it's just rice flour, just wondering what the issue is?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

ronnie085 wrote: »
    Starting weaning five and half month old, starting with baby rice and seen this thread, didn't release there are problems with baby rice, looked at the ingredients and it's just rice flour, just wondering what the issue is?

I suppose the issue is that it doesn't have any nutritional value. It's awful processed crap, and has no place in a baby's diet. Baby rice does little more than fill the child up. It's awful tasteless muck too. I would start on veg, fruit, anything really that your family is eating for meals. So long as the meals are healthy of course! Avoid salt.
    I never spoon fed my last child, and the difference it made to his coordination, independence and lack of pickiness is phenomenal.

Advertisement