Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone headset for hearing aid user

Options
  • 16-03-2017 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I'm in my 30's and have a moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears. My hearing has gradually got worse over the years and I finally gave in and got two hearing aids eight months ago.
    Since I started wearing hearing aids I find it very difficult to use a phone. Unless a person speaks loud and clear I either can't hear or understand them. Its awful! I have to use the phone in work and I literally panic when the phone rings as I'm struggling so much.
    I think a headset to attach to the phone might make it a bit easier to hear. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

You have some options in improving the sound quality:

1) T-Coil
    If your hearing aid has the T-Coil receiver, you can get a phone that is T-Coil compatible.
    Beware, T-Coil signals can be interfered by certain electrical devices.

2) Cable
    Your hearing aid may be able to be "plugged" directly into the phone via a cable.

Give deafhear.ie a call/visit - they would have lots of advice and assistive equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,092 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If you can't find a technical solution, a good employer will help to explore other options. Maybe there are roles available where phone calls are not critical. Instant messenger / chat options can be very helpful too.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭sickofthis

didle e i wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm in my 30's and have a moderate-severe hearing loss in both ears. My hearing has gradually got worse over the years and I finally gave in and got two hearing aids eight months ago.
    Since I started wearing hearing aids I find it very difficult to use a phone. Unless a person speaks loud and clear I either can't hear or understand them. Its awful! I have to use the phone in work and I literally panic when the phone rings as I'm struggling so much.
    I think a headset to attach to the phone might make it a bit easier to hear. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations?
    Thanks.

This could have been written by me! I wear hearing aids and tend to not mention this to people as I find people treat you like you are stupid when they find out. I recently started working in an office and was having awful trouble on the phones.. my hearing aid screeched when I held the phone to my ear and I was getting flustered and embarrassed. I missed important information during one call as I was too embarrassed to ask the person to repeat themselves for the third time! I had to come clean to my manager who is very understanding and I pass on important calls to my colleagues. I do find by taking out the hearing aid on the side I put the phone to my ear is actually better to hear on the phone with. Hearing loss is horrible, it can be very isolating and I have stopped going to pubs, noisy restaurants and concerts as they had become a nightmare ever with hearing aids..

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Holiers

I don't think this is relevant to land phones but just so you know some mobile phones can be connected via Bluetooth to your hearing aids. My Mum had a Doura phone like that. The sound went directly into her hearing aid, to the extent that she couldn't pass the phone to me, but if she did I wouldn't hear anything and she still could!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

Holiers wrote: »
    I don't think this is relevant to land phones but just so you know some mobile phones can be connected via Bluetooth to your hearing aids. My Mum had a Doura phone like that. The sound went directly into her hearing aid, to the extent that she couldn't pass the phone to me, but if she did I wouldn't hear anything and she still could!

Would work if the hearing aid had Bluetooth (either built in or an added adapter).

Some mobile phones have t-coil built into them, so that is another option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,567 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think I am going to have to get a second hearing aid and I am very reluctant. At the moment if I put on a head phones (usually to talk on Skype) I just remove the one hearing aid and it is fine. To take out two is going to be more restricting, but I find that often on the phone (for which I use my non-aid ear) I am starting to have problems hearing what the other person is saying. I think I am going to have to investigate the whole bluetooth thing.

Advertisement