Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir FTTH planning is not future proof.

Options
  • 16-03-2017 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭

I waited for years to have FTTC to find out i could only get 23 megs delivered. The reason the exchange is located where the line is on a 1 mile loop to my house. The location of the exchange is stupid it be better to be in the middle of the village or closer so people could have better speeds. Most of the population live near where i am.

Now i find out the blue lines are for FTTH.  Ok the blue line passes my house and it don't enter the estate of 40 plus houses where i live in the middle of the village where i live. Its say FTTH is coming Winter 2018.

If Eir is just going to forget about us for FTTH and government will not help us because we are serviced by Eir, that literally means we be stuck on broadband that classified to be not broadband for years to come?

https://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/fcc-chair-broadband-must-be-25mbps-and-isps-are-failing-to-deliver/

If not going to see FTTH Eir should be telling government thats the case!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Stay offline please no time for trolls. 

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭irishkopite 2011

The location of the exchange is stupid it be better to be in the middle of the village or closer so people could have better speeds. Most of the population live near where i am.

If Eir is just going to forget about us for FTTH and government will not help us because we are serviced by Eir, that literally means we be stuck on broadband that classified to be not broadband for years to come?

https://arstechnica.com/business/2015/01/fcc-chair-broadband-must-be-25mbps-and-isps-are-failing-to-deliver/

I'm sure that the exchange has been in its locate for a lot longer than most of the homes in your area, I would imagine when it was built that it was a central location, so if anything your house was built in a stupid location.
    You say the government will not help you because you are served by eir is lies, your housing estate may be covered by the national broadband plan which will be funded by the government, which means the government will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

I waited for years to have FTTC to find out i could only get 23 megs delivered. The reason the exchange is located where the line is on a 1 mile loop to my house. The location of the exchange is stupid it be better to be in the middle of the village or closer so people could have better speeds. Most of the population live near where i am.

Now i find out the blue lines are for FTTH.  Ok the blue line passes my house and it don't enter the estate of 40 plus houses where i live in the middle of the village where i live. Its say FTTH is coming Winter 2018.

Hi Cheerful Spring, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. FTTC is copper cabled from the exchange to the cabinet and fibre optic cable from the cabinet into your home. Although the exchange distance can affect you more than likely is the issue the distance from the cabinet. Unfortunately, you have to be within 2km of the cabinet in order to avail of FFTC service. 

FTTH is fibre optic cabled directly from the exchange and into your home. The blue lines on the map are approximate for FFTH. So I wouldn't worry at the minute if the blue line is not going to your house. As soon as we get nearer the date for deploying FTTH we should be able to give you more information on this. 

Thanks, 
    Pamela 

The location of the exchange is stupid it be better to be in the middle of the village or closer so people could have better speeds. Most of the population live near where i am.

I'm sure that the exchange has been in its locate for a lot longer than most of the homes in your area, I would imagine when it was built that it was a central location, so if anything your house was built in a stupid location.
    You say the government will not help you because you are served by eir is lies, your housing estate may be covered by the national broadband plan which will be funded by the government, which means the government will help.
    First point you made: No it was never a central location. Exchange is at the top of the road before you enter the village and, from there the village is about a mile long.. Yes the exchange was there mostly likely before my estate got build? 

Eir is not going to spend the money to move the exchange i guess, but realistically the exchange where it is now is not suitable for today..

Second point you made: I checked the NPB ( National Government plan) my area is not covered because Eir is servicing the area with DSL-Efibre. And Eir has far as i am aware will not be delivering FTTH to homes that are not on the blue line. My house is not on a blue line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Your estate has FTTC. Giving it FTTH costs them a large amount but you'll still pay a very similar tariff. Eir would be shooting themselves in the foot to do it.

Until SIRO or VMI threaten to expand to you they have no motivation. Your problem is with Naughten/DECNR, not Eir. 

Hi Cheerful Spring, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us today. FTTC is copper cabled from the exchange to the cabinet and fibre optic cable from the cabinet into your home. Although the exchange distance can affect you more than likely is the issue the distance from the cabinet. Unfortunately, you have to be within 2km of the cabinet in order to avail of FFTC service. 

FTTH is fibre optic cabled directly from the exchange and into your home. The blue lines on the map are approximate for FFTH. So I wouldn't worry at the minute if the blue line is not going to your house. As soon as we get nearer the date for deploying FTTH we should be able to give you more information on this. 

Thanks, 
    Pamela 
    Ok thanks hopefully Eir don't bypass my house in 2018. 

ED E wrote: »
    Your estate has FTTC. Giving it FTTH costs them a large amount but you'll still pay a very similar tariff. Eir would be shooting themselves in the foot to do it.

Until SIRO or VMI threaten to expand to you they have no motivation. Your problem is with Naughten/DECNR, not Eir. 
    True, but i live about 300 to 400 metres off the main road in a estate. I only see blue line following the main road. Anyway its a wait and see to this i guess. 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Just to hijack this, if the blue line is showing going right past my house shouldn't that mean I should be able to get FTTH?!
    But you've told me that it's not available at my house?!
    Blue line goes right past the new property I'm moving to in a few months and they have ftth. I'm so confused by how this works and how we are meant to know when we get the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭eir: Anna

Hi Cheerful Spring, 

Thanks, 
    Pamela 
    Ok thanks hopefully Eir don't bypass my house in 2018. 
    No problem. Please feel free to get in touch if you have any further questions.

Thanks,
    Anna.

• Advertisement
Advertisement