Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and Roll Half Marathon Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Anyone know if there's a safe place to park a bike near the start?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ooter

Leading group sent the wrong way in the 5k this morning and had to turn back, dear oh dear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

ooter wrote: »
    Leading group sent the wrong way in the 5k this morning and had to turn back, dear oh dear!

Oh no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Forecast for tomorrow, warm and humid with a possibility of some light drizzle, could be challenging conditions though perhaps better than blazing sun. A day to slowdown at the water stations and take a good drink.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Oh no!
    The route had lots of twists and turns on a convoluted course, they should have had a lad on.a bike out front.
    At one stage at we were heading to the finish I saw a woman heading out the course ask a guard for directions
    The 1k marker was at about 700m, so bit of confusion alright,

• Advertisement

Yeah the 1k mark was way off, there was 3 mins on my watch when I passed it so knew it couldn't be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Best of luck tomorrow - I'll be taking the orange shorts out again to pace the 1:30 group. Going to be challenging on that course, but we'll get there! :pac:

Anyone got a link to the 5k results?

The route had lots of twists and turns on a convoluted course, they should have had a lad on.a bike out front.
    At one stage at we were heading to the finish I saw a woman heading out the course ask a guard for directions
    The 1k marker was at about 700m, so bit of confusion alright,

wow, that's got to be very offputting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Well, knockmaroon was tough...for me anyway. Lost a lot of time on it and in the mile after it too.
    Somerton was grand, decent course overall.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Hills were tough, even going down them was difficult in slippy conditions... Enjoyed it tho, was a real test ... Got my sub 2 hr target as well so was delighted

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Did the 10k. Route around Smithfield was different to the map I'm pretty sure. Map had it go down Bow St etc.

Either way had quite a few small hills and twists which weren't the end of the world. What was a nightmare was at the criminal court running into the back of the HM walkers. It lasted until we turned at Chapelizod. Absolute disaster. People walking and jogging spread across the road with headphones, unable to hear you coming behind asking them to move. The lead woman at the time (blue shirt) was near me for about half of Conyngham Rd and the lead bike with her was calling out for people to move, but no joy.

Nothing against walkers, slower runners etc, it's the fault of the organisers. Ridiculous timing for the 10k to join the HM at such a late stage.

Along with the Conyngham Rd madness that last major hill under the flyover after Chapelizod killed me and cost me my PB. Still, apart from the above good weather and ok run overall. Also IMMA is a great post race venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Did the 10k. Route around Smithfield was different to the map I'm pretty sure. Map had it go down Bow St etc.

Either way had quite a few small hills and twists which weren't the end of the world. What was a nightmare was at the criminal court running into the back of the HM walkers. It lasted until we turned at Chapelizod. Absolute disaster. People walking and jogging spread across the road with headphones, unable to hear you coming behind asking them to move. The lead woman at the time (blue shirt) was near me for about half of Conyngham Rd and the lead bike with her was calling out for people to move, but no joy.

Nothing against walkers, slower runners etc, it's the fault of the organisers. Ridiculous timing for the 10k to join the HM at such a late stage.

Along with the Conyngham Rd madness that last major hill under the flyover after Chapelizod killed me and cost me my PB. Still, apart from the above good weather and ok run overall. Also IMMA is a great post race venue.

Well done on completing the race :)

I wasn’t involved today but had fun watching as a spectator in the early stages. Seems from some of the posts above and other social media I’ve seen that the organisation left a lot to be desired, long queues for bag drops, luas chaos - organisers saying take the luas and then the luas stopping early on the red line because of the race!! - general lack of responsiveness from organisers etc.

Still hope to do it next year though :D Just feel terrible for those who were impacted by the poor organisation, I would have lost my mind being stuck behind walkers and being late for the race due to public transport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Fair play to anyone who ran that hilly course. The entrance into castleknock college was a very tight corner, with a gate post, muck and uneven ground, a number of people fell at this point. I would guess that this is the only year that this route would be used and back to the Phoenix park for next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Was in at Smithfield and saw the 10k past by. They changed the route this morning, according to the steward I was talking to but no idea why.

Seemed like a last minute thing so they had people running down on the cobblestones but everyone ran on the pavement which caused a few tourists to be stuck by the wall. Also the pavement had a good lot of broken glass on it in parts so it could have done with a good sweep beforehand.

As for the organisation, it did look very poor. Met 3 groups of runners trying to find where the start was and had to send them the right way. Also heard the collection for bags at the finish was a fair mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Toughest HM I have completed to date...the hills x 17 were tough:rolleyes:

The bag drop and pick up were very slow versus last year, but they got there in the end. I actually think that it was fairly well organised but the downhill sections were a bit dodgy.

Overall a really good workout and prep for the DCM .......off for a hot bath now with epsom salts and radox......:D

Upon reflection, I really enjoyed today's half marathon.

I had intended going with the 2:45 pacers due to a lack of training, but I was really confused because I was given a spot in corral 2 and all pacers were behind me. With a 2hr10 PB I don't think I had any place in corral 2, but I signed up with my AI number and I think that's how I ended up there.

I went for it anyway and corral 2 were not even out the gate at Kilmainham and I was paddy last. Learned from my mistakes though and stuck with my slow pace. It wasn't long before the other corrals caught up with me.

I ended up finishing in 2:28 which I am very pleased with, given both my lack of training and the difficulty of the course. But more so, I was thrilled with my own discipline throughout - I had a pace in mind and I stuck to it. Although I slowed a little, I ran/jogged every inch of the route, I didn't go downhill like a bat out of hell (my knees and hips are thankful for that I'm sure) and I was able to hush that little voice that often likes to tell me I'm not able! :)

I've NEVER been as exhausted at the end of a race as I was after this one. Grabbed my bag and t-shirt and left, hamstrings on fire the whole way home. Couldn't face the queue for the beer and didn't have the stomach for any of the goodies because I couldn't focus on anything except my legs.

There wasn't as much music on the course as I was expecting - is it not supposed to be music every mile? Didn't bother me, but just an observation.

It's a shame that the event riled locals so. I can understand their arguments, but the ones that did turn out to support were lovely and their encouragement was what got me through!

Feeling quite accomplished this evening :D Delighted I didn't drop to the 10k now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Did the HM also, delighted with my time, came home in 1.43.
    By far the toughest HM course I have done. Those hills were a disaster, tough to go up and almost as bad coming down them on a slippy road. Lost a bit of time on those hills and the mile after or so trying to recover.
    The first three miles were a disaster trying to get around people who were obvious in the wrong tiering.
    Shuttle buses were great might look to do the FD one to get that time down.

Overall it was a nice fun day out.

Graph of elevation for anyone who didn't run the course.

• Advertisement

AdrianII wrote: »
    The first three miles were a disaster trying to get around people who were obvious in the wrong tiering..

Yeah, but about that ....

From what I could make out that is down to how the corrals were organised.

As I said in my above post, I was very confused to find myself in corral 2, being a 2hr 10+ runner. But, that's where I was placed.

I tried figuring it out really quickly in the 5 mins I had left after bag drop and toilet stop (despite having arrived at 07:30) whether I should stay put or move. Myself and the girl beside me started observing numbers and corrals and it seemed to us that everyone in corral 2 had a number in the 2000s, everyone in corral 3 had a number in the 3000s, everyone in corral 4 had a number in the 4000s etc..

Maybe those numbers were assigned to people based on their predicted time and if that was the case then it would matter what corral they eventually decided to hop in to. But, if numbers were assigned as aplications were made, then it didn't really matter where any of us ended up, unless you were an elite.

Actually, I have just realised this moment that I never even went to corral 2. I remember not being able to get near it and ended up going into corral 4. Which leads me to this question. My gun time and chip time are only seconds apart. A friend who started in corral 10 has a gun and chip time that is identical.

I don't care about the registered time online, I have my time on my watch, but just wondering, does this mean that there was a hiccup somewhere? Having glanced at the results list, some people have a 10min difference between chip and gun time, but a lot of people don't.

Anyone else in a further back pen notice that their gun time and chip time are too close together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Actually, I have just realised this moment that I never even went to corral 2. I remember not being able to get near it and ended up going into corral 4. Which leads me to this question. My gun time and chip time are only seconds apart. A friend who started in corral 10 has a gun and chip time that is identical.

I don't care about the registered time online, I have my time on my watch, but just wondering, does this mean that there was a hiccup somewhere? Having glanced at the results list, some people have a 10min difference between chip and gun time, but a lot of people don't.

Anyone else in a further back pen notice that their gun time and chip time are too close together?

There was a minute between mine. Chip time is bang on with my watch though. Corals were crazy. Don't know how it went. I predicted a 1.45 race and I was put in coral 5, the pacers for 1.45 were at the top of coral 4???

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

Did the Half.

Without question a challenging course. The hills are a killer. Also it was boring AF scenically.

Was fun tho. Need a bit of a challenge now and then but I did like last years set up more. Felt like there where a lot less musical acts this year then last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

Did the Half.

Without question a challenging course. The hills are a killer. Also it was boring AF scenically.

Was fun tho. Need a bit of a challenge now and then but I did like last years set up more. Felt like there where a lot less musical acts this year then last year.

I think that was due to space on the course. A lot of narrow roads compared to previous years. Was a bit dodgy some of the narrow roads on the down hill.

Did the half and managed 2hrs19. Went out thinking I'd be happy to get 2hrs30 so delighted with it. Toughest half I've done and definitely feel the down hills in my thighs now.

Was nowhere near as well organised as other years. The space in kilmainham just felt like everyone was jammed in and the bag drop was a nightmare. I hope they go back to the usual route next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Corrals 1 and 2 were for national championships I think. Then the rest were by predicted time.
    I said 1:30 and was in corral 3. Pacers were in corral 1 so a quick fence jump was required

Same last year. I was 40 mins for 10k and was in corral 3. Spent first few k dodging much slower half marathoners who were put in 1&2 due to nationals, nothing to do with time.

F.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,299 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I live round corner from route.... Lovely to see bottles f#cked everywhere bushes, gardens everywhere .... Despite signs asking runners not to past a certain point... Lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭solidasarock

zedhead wrote: »
    I think that was due to space on the course. A lot of narrow roads compared to previous years. Was a bit dodgy some of the narrow roads on the down hill.

Did the half and managed 2hrs19. Went out thinking I'd be happy to get 2hrs30 so delighted with it. Toughest half I've done and definitely feel the down hills in my thighs now.

Was nowhere near as well organised as other years. The space in kilmainham just felt like everyone was jammed in and the bag drop was a nightmare. I hope they go back to the usual route next year.

I think a big problem is the 8:30 start time on a Sunday. Every other race starts at 9:30 for a reason.

Everyone that relies on public transport is basically getting there at 8 or later so their is going to be a swarm of people at bag drop last minute.

Not to mention it is a wee bit early on a Sunday and lazy duders just wanna sleep a little extra.

gmisk wrote: »
    I live round corner from route.... Lovely to see bottles f#cked everywhere bushes, gardens everywhere .... Despite signs asking runners not to past a certain point... Lovely

Yeah I really have to say, throwing your bottles on the ground on this course was a disgrace. There were more bins than bands!
    I think a big problem is the 8:30 start time on a Sunday. Every other race starts at 9:30 for a reason.

Everyone that relies on public transport is basically getting there at 8 or later so their is going to be a swarm of people at bag drop last minute.

Not to mention it is a wee bit early on a Sunday and lazy duders just wanna sleep a little extra.

Yes, way too early

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

In fairness I was worried about the course and the new set up, the only down points were the toilets at the 5K and the baggage drop and reclaim at the half venue. (This maybe a case of the new company running it)

Both courses were much better than I expected and the event venues were excellent, perfect for what the event is.

I travelled back through the course after work tonight and as of ten o’clock tonight they’re was water bottles all over Coyningham Road, and then from Mount Sackville all the way to castleknock college it looks like not one bottle was cleared off the road. This would suggest that major complaints will be made and objections will follow for this route next year.

Advertisement