Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and Roll Half Marathon Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

AAD wrote: »
    I travelled back through the course after work tonight and as of ten o’clock tonight they’re was water bottles all over Coyningham Road, and then from Mount Sackville all the way to castleknock college it looks like not one bottle was cleared off the road. This would suggest that major complaints will be made and objections will follow for this route next year.

That is an utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,981 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

AAD wrote: »
    In fairness I was worried about the course and the new set up, the only down points were the toilets at the 5K and the baggage drop and reclaim at the half venue. (This maybe a case of the new company running it)

Both courses were much better than I expected and the event venues were excellent, perfect for what the event is.

I travelled back through the course after work tonight and as of ten o’clock tonight they’re was water bottles all over Coyningham Road, and then from Mount Sackville all the way to castleknock college it looks like not one bottle was cleared off the road. This would suggest that major complaints will be made and objections will follow for this route next year.
    I know of two other people near me (lower ballyfermot and chapelizoid) who have lodged complaint with the council over bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

Now they may have paid a fee to the council so that the responsibility lies with them to clean up, which I would suggest wouldn’t happen until this morning but even still I’ve never seen anything like it after a race, you would expect someone at the water stations to be out with a bag picking bottles up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Re water bottles (& yes, I agree that it's awful they weren't cleared by last night - whatever about participants' behaviour, race organisers should always make sure the area is tidied quickly after a race - I've been out with a black bag myself after our club's Road Relays etc) I know others don't agree with me on this, but I strongly feel that races should change over to paper cups, or those little bags you tear open and drink from.

Paper cups are (or can be) biodegradeable, and you can recycle paper everywhere (I know you can recycle plastic bottles, but you generally can't recycle the sports lids etc.) Also, the bottles are so wasteful - I know some people hang on to them, but most take a little drink and then throw them away half full.

My main reason for preferring cups is runner safety - I think little plastic bottles rolling around on a course are a hazard. At some more crowded races I'm literally watching every step around the water tables so I don't put my foot on a dropped bottle and fall or turn and ankle. Conversely, if you step on a paper cup, you'll just crush it safely.

I know some people like to pick up a bottle to keep for a few miles, but if cups became the norm, anyone who wanted to bring a bottle would know to bring their own.

Bottle aren't the norm at races worldwide - we've just got used to them here. I think we'd get used to cups (or sponges, like they used to have in DCM!) if we went back to them.

Sorry, that was all OT!

Re the races: well done to all the half marathoners (especially my clubmates who were 3rd F, 1st O40F, 1st O50F & team O40F in the national champs :)) - it was a tough course.

I did the 10k, and it was my fastest time this year! I'm so grateful to the 45-minute pacers, if I hadn't stuck with them I would definitely have slowed on some of the drags, but because they were there I just stayed focused and relaxed and hung on. So thank you!!

I did the 10k with my sister (my husband did the half), and we all really enjoyed the atmosphere, the free beer after etc. It was my sister's first time doing an RnR event and she felt the mini marathon was much better for bands and atmosphere along the route. (So well done, Mini Marathon & Marthastew!) I've done the RnR half before & I do remember there being more bands. Was it because they had to change the route and go through so many little streets that they couldn't have all the bands they planned?

We had no problems over in Grangegorman with portaloos or baggage drop, it all seemed pretty seamless.

The chaos picking up 10k bags probably couldn't be helped - I heard there was a crash involving (?) the baggage van that really delayed their arrival (I was at pick up before the bags got there) and then I think the growing, impatient queue of runners really put the (very young) volunteers under pressure, so maybe they weren't as efficient as they might otherwise have been. But managing the bags isn't ever an easy job, and as I said, they were all very young and doing their best under pressure, so I'd like to thank them very much.

Well done, volunteers & runners!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

The waste involved is truly horrendous. I never really comprehended the extent until yesterday. I was out for a long run and had decided to do the loop part of the HM course before going back into the Park at Knockmaroon Gate. As I crossed the road I noticed that there were still huge numbers struggling up Knockmaroon Hill and that there were no gels left at the feed station. Having seen lots of unopened ones discarded when I had passed earlier I asked one of the volunteers for a box and went to collect as many as I could before rinsing them and putting them on the table. The amount of discarded gels, Powerade and water bottles which had only had a mere sip taken from them before being thrown away was staggering, it just shouldn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

I was expecting so much more from this event.
    I thought it would be carnival-like, with music around every corner. Reality was very different. It was poor and didn’t live up to the name what-so-ever.
    I felt sorry for those who had travelled overseas to participate, and there seemed to be a lot.
    The route, albeit changed in the last few weeks was poor and didn’t give anyone a real insight to Dublin. In fact, I found it boring.

Would I do it again?
    Would I recommend it?

No, to both.
    Its overly priced and boring, which is a shame because the concept is brilliant.

I was expecting so much more from this event.
    I thought it would be carnival-like, with music around every corner. Reality was very different. It was poor and didn’t live up to the name what-so-ever.
    I felt sorry for those who had travelled overseas to participate, and there seemed to be a lot.
    The route, albeit changed in the last few weeks was poor and didn’t give anyone a real insight to Dublin. In fact, I found it boring.

Would I do it again?
    Would I recommend it?

No, to both.
    Its overly priced and boring, which is a shame because the concept is brilliant.

I did it the very first year, and (in my opinion) it was as you'd hoped - it took in a good bit of the city centre - Christchurch, the quays, Guinness etc - and then went round the park. There were bands every mile, and a lovely big area for the bands at the finish. I think it must just be impossible to get permission to run through the city centre as every year it seems to have more miles in the park (and then this year, without the park, it had to go miles out of town).

The first year had t-shirts in male & female sizes too!

It's really too expensive - I'd only ever do it at the AAI rate (which has also gone up! I think in 2013 it was €22 and this year it was about €30) (I won entries on Facebook this year, which is why we entered).

skyblue46 wrote: »
    The waste involved is truly horrendous. I never really comprehended the extent until yesterday. I was out for a long run and had decided to do the loop part of the HM course before going back into the Park at Knockmaroon Gate. As I crossed the road I noticed that there were still huge numbers struggling up Knockmaroon Hill and that there were no gels left at the feed station. Having seen lots of unopened ones discarded when I had passed earlier I asked one of the volunteers for a box and went to collect as many as I could before rinsing them and putting them on the table. The amount of discarded gels, Powerade and water bottles which had only had a mere sip taken from them before being thrown away was staggering, it just shouldn't happen.

And that was just the waste of water. In RHK there was even more - boxes and boxes of food lying on the ground. People were lugging around boxes full of goodies and there was still so much strewn across the ground. Loads of medals left over, waaay too many t-shirts printed.

I know participants would be complaining if they had run out of anything, so I can understand having a little extra, but I couldn't help feeling that the entry price is so high because nobody is crunching the numbers effectively

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    And that was just the waste of water. In RHK there was even more - boxes and boxes of food lying on the ground. People were lugging around boxes full of goodies and there was still so much strewn across the ground. Loads of medals left over, waaay too many t-shirts printed.

I know participants would be complaining if they had run out of anything, so I can understand having a little extra, but I couldn't help feeling that the entry price is so high because nobody is crunching the numbers effectively

I suppose these are the risks when so many people want all the bells and whistles. Personally I like a measured course, accurate timing and a plentiful supply of sandwiches :pac:

I suppose these are the risks when so many people want all the bells and whistles. Personally I like a measured course, accurate timing and a plentiful supply of sandwiches :pac:

Me too. But Rock'n'Roll participants (I mean those of them who do all the events around the world) seem to really love the medals / gear etc.
    I don't understand it, but each to their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

A big shout out to the medical team who worked on the lady at the finish line...distressing seeing another runner down but glad to hear she is improving...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Anyone clock the race at 13.18miles. Or did I take a few long corners ( an extra 130meters) not much but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Dealerz2.0

A big shout out to the medical team who worked on the lady at the finish line...distressing seeing another runner down but glad to hear she is improving...

I saw another ambulance treating someone near Castleknock College, hope they’re ok.

AdrianII wrote: »
    Anyone clock the race at 13.18miles. Or did I take a few long corners ( an extra 130meters) not much but still!

It was 13.24 for me but I put that down to the above as you said

Seriously though, there is a woman complaining on the R'n'R facebook page that "there should have been some sort of a warning just how hilly it was"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭wookiesleep

gmisk wrote: »
    I live round corner from route.... Lovely to see bottles f#cked everywhere bushes, gardens everywhere .... Despite signs asking runners not to past a certain point... Lovely

This is something that has playing on my mind. The pure waste at a lot of these events is mind blowing, including events like the Dublin Marathon. I guess moving away from bottles and using paper cups is the way to go. Last year running down from castleknock during the marathon and seeing the bottles flying over the way into the park boiled my blood. Don't get me started on the amount of gel wrappers i see in the park.

Hope all enjoyed the HM. Those hills around Chapelizod chickened me out of entry, so much respect to all finishing this tough route.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

I was laughing to myself when the girl doing PA said it was a lovely new route with just one big hill......yeah right!!!!

Tough course but I did enjoy it - not as many bands as previous years but like others mentioned I guess it was due to the narrow roads along the way. Bag drop/pick up was chaos - why they choose to do this by name is beyond me. Surely doing it by race number would make more sense!

AdrianII wrote: »

13.3 miles for me 13.1@Kilmainham Goal...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Given what we now know about plastic, races will find it extremely hard to justify the amount of plastic waste generated.

It's just not acceptable anymore. I've previously moaned about races not supplying bottles but times have changed.

Neera wrote: »
    Bag drop/pick up was chaos - why they choose to do this by name is beyond me. Surely doing it by race number would make more sense!

I initially thought the very same as yourself, but then I thought about it a bit more and I think that the real problem was the lack of rope barriers to mark out different lanes and clear signage at the end of those lanes.

The issue with the queues for bags was that nobody knew which queue they were in and even when they found out, it was near impossible to find the end of the line. I started off in the right queue for my surname but by the time I reached the top I was 2 letters over.

Had it been done by race number, it still would have been equally as chaotic, unless they had clear signage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Water in bottles is the biggest waste in running.

Trust me, the backlash from a few residents pales into insignificance when compared to the backlash of providing water in cups. It's just not worth it for organisers.

Water in cups, with a 500ml bottle at end. Simple.

If you want to see how they do it abroad, check out check out the excellent water CUPS over in Rotterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Beer is where its at :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Trust me, the backlash from a few residents pales into insignificance when compared to the backlash of providing water in cups. It's just not worth it for organisers.

Water in cups, with a 500ml bottle at end. Simple.

If you want to see how they do it abroad, check out check out the excellent water CUPS over in Rotterdam.

Yeah, you don't have to open a cup for a start :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Driving down Knockmaroon this morning was disgusting to see the amount of water bottles outside Mount sackville. We are talking thousands of bottles here. Was convinced they would be cleaned up by the time I went home........ But not a hope.

Really bad form

Forgot to mention if anyone lost a 5k medal yesterday give me a shout and I will organise a return..

Seve OB wrote: »
    Driving down Knockmaroon this morning was disgusting to see the amount of water bottles outside Mount sackville. We are talking thousands of bottles here. Was convinced they would be cleaned up by the time I went home........ But not a hope.

Really bad form

I was sent a video by a friend. I am horrified. I will never do any of their races again after seeing it.

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    I was sent a video by a friend. I am horrified. I will never do any of their races again after seeing it.

It is an overpriced media and commercial event. That the AAI have made it the national half marathon championship is something which at best can be described as questionable imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It is an overpriced media and commercial event. That the AAI have made it the national half marathon championship is something which at best can be described as questionable imo.

They pay to make it the national half. I don't know how much, but a substantial amount. Plus 5-10,000 euro goes to the clubs who provide stewards etc

RayCun wrote: »
    They pay to make it the national half. I don't know how much, but a substantial amount. Plus 5-10,000 euro goes to the clubs who provide stewards etc

I understand that Ray but is it a case of selling your soul to the devil. I have seen videos and read the reports of the mess left on the roads. This reflects badly on the events and the public attitude to races in their area. Is it the fact that it's the Nationals that gets club runners to enter. The standard in the 5 and 10k was not great. I could have forced myself into the top 10 in both when I can't get in the top 200 of some BHAA events. Haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Clean up is usually done by the council, I don't know what went wrong there this year

Advertisement