Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and Roll Half Marathon Dublin

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

RayCun wrote: »
    Clean up is usually done by the council, I don't know what went wrong there this year

Ah I see. I didn't know council did the clean up. I always assumed it was done by race organisation. Is that something that happens at club races too or do RnR pay to get it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

They pay to make it the national half. I don't know how much, but a substantial amount. Plus 5-10,000 euro goes to the clubs who provide stewards etc

I think they pay the same price for stewards as the race series. Yet race series is more professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Ah I see. I didn't know council did the clean up. I always assumed it was done by race organisation. Is that something that happens at club races too or do RnR pay to get it done?

I can't think of any club races that are the same scale. The ones with the high attendance are shorter, the half marathons are smaller, and have water in cups. We gave out maybe 5000 bottles at just one station yesterday.

You'd be comparing to the marathon, race series, great Ireland run. I think all of those pay for clean up by the council?

I think they pay the same price for stewards as the race series. Yet race series is more professional.

I'm not a huge fan of the race, I've never been tempted to run it myself. But they were fairly screwed this year by the pope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'm not a huge fan of the race, I've never been tempted to run it myself. But they were fairly screwed this year by the pope.

Of all the things Popes have been accused of surely screwing thousands tops it all!!

• Advertisement

"But they were fairly screwed this year by the pope."

You have a way with words sometimes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 backofthepack

There were alot of negatives at the race this year but i actually really enjoyed and can't understand why people would object to the hills or be turned off?

I ran it as an LSR and it was probably the most challenging LSR i've ever run, but now heartbreak hill looks like a breeze :D

Baggage drop was very poorly organised, staff didn't seem to have any urgency about them and it was impossible to see the letters, the trucks last year were great because even a shortie like me could see the signs.

Definitely huge wastage on the bottles, and totally impractical having screw caps at the first station.

I also felt sorry for any who travelled and expected to see some of Dublin City, Kilmainham is lovely but it felt more like a countryside race to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

“I also felt sorry for any who travelled and expected to see some of Dublin City, Kilmainham is lovely but it felt more like a countryside race to me!“

I was thinking the same thing, but from last couple years they only missed out on o’Connell street and the halfpenny Bridge, (which ironically was the major structure on the half medal) they still got Guinness (twice) and instead of running up they ran down Christchurch. But your right it was a real country run.

This is the first year of the new company taking over the series and with the new route and base forces upon them you would think it will run a lot smoother next year, as people have said the bag drop wasn’t great, I was one of the lucky ones, there were very few people with O so the drop was quick, then when I finished I just waited to do the fun run and collected my bag afterwards.

I haven’t been down around the strawberry beds since Monday night so I’m not sure if the clean was done, I take it that as no new photos have been posted it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

A steward at the bag drop advised me to "hide my bag over in the trees, loads of people are doing it". I took a chance and took his advice, I'm glad I did because there was no way I was making the start on time. As others have pointed out it was impossible to see which queue related to the names. When the start is down at the 2point3 arena the trucks are high so it is so much easier to see where you need to be.

The route was tough yes but was manageable if you were sensible on the hills, my quads are still screaming at me as I was trying to make up time on the downhills which were difficult given the wet conditions, it wasn't helped by some of the slower runners hopping over the dividing tape on Knockmaroon Hill because of the narrow road, I saw two getting clattered by guys flying down the hill.

It is usually a great event but lost some of the sparkle due to the enforced change of route/location. I would imagine that the race will return to it's usual route next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

5 x solo acoustic singers
    2 x Country and Western bands
    1 x Bluegrass guitarist
    1 x DJ
    1 x Rock 'n' Roll band

do not a "Rock 'n' Roll" half marathon make...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

1 x Bluegrass guitarist
    1 x DJ
    1 x Rock 'n' Roll band

The music on the women's mini marathon course is always quite good IMO.

Edit: I did RnR half last year and I didn't pass much heed on the music along the route. I remember there was a good band around the Dublin City Corp office that were quite loud for that hour of the morning, I remember seeing a band near Kilmainham Gaol posing for photos and then I remember seeing a small band tent near the finish but I don't think there was much sound out of them. I don't remember any other music or bands on the course, they may well have been there but I didn't notice them. If it's marketed as a "Rock n Roll" run, then music should be further up the list of priorities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

eoinín wrote: »
    1 x Bluegrass guitarist
    1 x DJ
    1 x Rock 'n' Roll band

A runner who has time to tot them up during the race does not someone who is racing hard make :):D:p!

(PS Eoinín is aka Mr HelenAnne so I'm not making cruel fun of an unknown boardsie!)

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Normally do the RnR every year, but because I missed the early bird and I couldn't bring myself to part with 55euro for a half, I gave it a skip this year. As good as it normally is, that price is just way too much!

The RnR franchise has a great reputation.
    Imagine the cost and effort of flying to Dublin to do a lovely scenic run in Ireland only to find yourself looping around back roads with no music and paying 55euro just to enter. It's not good enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Pink11 wrote: »

Know plenty who would disagree, shower of money grabbers hence the price.

Want a quality half marathon run one that is organised by a club like Tullamore or Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Pink11 wrote: »

Would probably go the other way

They have gutted a number of good races, stripped all elite fields as well as being implicated charity fraud and labour law issues in their past.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Would probably go the other way

They have gutted a number of good races, stripped all elite fields as well as being implicated charity fraud and labour law issues in their past.

Wow, just looked it up.

They work hard on building their brand globally and unfortunately if you don't know any better it's hard not to fall for the novelty. It IS a great idea and concept. As said, I had no issue paying 30euro on the early bird to do a half course in city, it was always fun but this new crappy course plus full price entry fee is daylight robbery.

Want a quality half marathon run one that is organised by a club like Tullamore or Mullingar.

I am doing Tullamore this year instead of RnR. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

Clean up is usually done by the council, I don't know what went wrong there this year

done by council maybe but cost of said council staff would be paid by organisers

Larsso30 wrote: »
    done by council maybe but cost of said council staff would be paid by organisers

Apparently looking at facebook some of the organisers were out cleaning up on MOnday night. Did they pay the council?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Apparently looking at facebook some of the organisers were out cleaning up on MOnday night. Did they pay the council?

The clean up is 100% the responsibility of the race organiser. Unless the organiser meets the council and agrees a policy with them, then the council have no involvement. That is, until the day after, when the council may receive complaints.
    For major mass races, the council probably wouldn't have the wherewithall to do the clean up by themselves, as the clean up would have to be done before the roads reopen. It is therefore likely that professionals would have to be hired to assist with the clean up.

In previous years, cleanup has been done by council workers right after the race - street-sweeping trucks and guys with brushes. This year I saw some guys with brushes, no street sweepers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Larsso30

In previous years, cleanup has been done by council workers right after the race - street-sweeping trucks and guys with brushes. This year I saw some guys with brushes, no street sweepers.

organisers didnt meet council to work out a deal so as its 100% responsibility of organisers

Advertisement