Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and Roll Half Marathon Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Glad I'm not doing it this year now, we were nearly going to sign up for that one before settling on a half at the end of August. As much as I gave out about the Phoenix Park last year, it's a beautiful setting to run in, when you're not from Dublin it's great to get the opportunity to run there. Also I enjoyed the run along the quays, makes a change from being in a car or bus along there, you see so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Charleville for me this year, was looking at Longford or Tullamore at the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Ratoath HM on September 8 might be an option, apart from those mentioned above.

As for R'N'R, nobody's mentioned the hill from Islandbridge up to Kilmainham at the end of mile 3 :eek: plus some of the downhills, such as Christchurch, Islandbridge, the Sandpits (between Castleknock College and the hotel), Somerton Lane and Knockmaroon, will have your legs in ribbons. I'm guessing Phoenix Park has been ruled out of bounds due to the impending papal visit, however that course just seems to be beyond cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

however that course just seems to be beyond cruel.

Is it just me that has a bit of a sadistic sense of excitement for thos course. I hate this race usually but could be interesting for actual racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Is it just me that has a bit of a sadistic sense of excitement for thos course. I hate this race usually but could be interesting for actual racing.

There is a challenge to it. It seems like a race you could do an easy pace and then is the carnage of others on the way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

Hi, ss the course on Strava ... or anywhere I can see the elevation ?

Must go and run some of it as I don't know the area.

thanks,
    F.

Is it just me that has a bit of a sadistic sense of excitement for thos course. I hate this race usually but could be interesting for actual racing..

I've signed up to the Kilcock 10 mile the following Sunday, so it looks even more like I made a wise decision in relation to race selection.

That said, part of me would love to try it out for the craic, as part of an LSR. (Un)fortunately, the absence of paths on Somerton Lane and through the Strawberry Beds means that isn't a safe option.

twerg_85 wrote: »
    Hi, ss the course on Strava ... or anywhere I can see the elevation ?

Must go and run some of it as I don't know the area.

thanks,
    F.

Overall the elevation is actually comparable to the old course (around 700ft) just the hills this time round are alot steeper and running down to run up in many cases (the downhill sections around mile 10 will probably make St Laurence be the hill that really breaks people)

To give a highlight reel;

Mile 3 - https://www.strava.com/segments/1231297

Mile 5 - https://www.strava.com/segments/12378588

Mile 9 - https://www.strava.com/segments/8794195

Mile 12 - https://www.strava.com/segments/14696080

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

The course is a joke.

Feel Ripped off having registered and now the total and utter change.

The up hills are tough but totally manageable (175m of climbing I make it from a mapmyrun) but the downhills are NOT safe. Sommerton Lane and Knockmarroon you just cant run down at any speed without your knees giving in. There is going to be alot of Ambulance action resulting from this route; and I hope not too serious, but there will be.

I will NEVER register for this race or similar RnR race again. Joke shop. Minor changes are fine but I think this is an insult to those who have signed up already. I can accept minor changes but this is a p1$$take.

As for AAI, hang your head in shame for backing this race as a national Championship race

Jmcmen wrote: »

As for AAI, hang your head in shame for backing this race as a national Championship race

Up for review this year and I can imagine feedback from this iteration won't be too kind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

It seems crazy a national title race was given with course not confirmed or was it known earlier to AAI?

chris85 wrote: »
    It seems crazy a national title race was given with course not confirmed or was it known earlier to AAI?

Rock and Roll have hosted this race for the last 5 years so I imagine it is not course dependent as long as the cheque clears from Titan/CGI they are happy out.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

chris85 wrote: »

It's been the national title race for the last 5 years, with various course changes along the way. The changes this year are driven by the pope's visit.

I don't know, but I doubt championship races have to supply the exact route when they apply to be a championship race. The dates are announced so far in advance that doesn't seem feasible. The race probably has to agree to meet certain criteria, eg. being measured by a certified course measurer, having a safety statement signed off by gardai, stuff like that, rather than the exact route being signed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

think I'll be giving it a pass this year, pure and utter madness

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Looks like a decent course to me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jrkb

Pity the National champs is still part of the rock n roll set up,I much preferred when it was run at a different location each year but at least this year its a tough honest course great for championship racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

I actually ran part of the course in the opposite direction last thursday (The bit around castleknock including the anglers and somerton) Somerton is going to be a nightmare no doubt, especially at the left hand turn at the bottom, it’s still a sharp downhill while turning, it’ll be mental altogether.

Having said that I’m looking forward to it. It will be the most challenging course they have used so far that’s for sure,

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Any discount codes for this? Missed the early bird and I don't think I can part with €55 for one race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Pink11 wrote: »
    Any discount codes for this? Missed the early bird and I don't think I can part with €55 for one race!!

Some sort of a 24hr flash sale. I think the 10k is E30 instead of E35 - kinda hard to decipher.

http://content.ironman.com/index.php/email/emailWebview?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiTWpFMllUaGpZakEwTkRsaiIsInQiOiJ3dFl5d1ZBdzdGcmw5SWF2NDhtMFN4Qy9MTEVCZld0S3dMMXFhdGV0KzBNQ0FVSEdISlkxRzQ5dlJwbUt1cVFFLzdTQjVDeVFrOFg2QkdVaXczS1JYZUdqYWdBRDlQN0hsMVFpelVOM1RwN05iOU9zRURtVCs0VFoyQVJVVTA3WCJ9

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

Thanks a mil.

You get €5 off but when processing fee is added on it comes back up to 54euro. Still think thats a crazy amount for one race. I normally pay around 35 for this on the earlybird.

• Advertisement

One of the Waterstown Warriors went around the course on a bike, concocting this video as he did so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

One of the Waterstown Warriors went around the course on a bike, concocting this video as he did so.

That’s one pig of a race route!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

OOnegative wrote: »
    That’s one pig of a race route!!

I'm struggling to advise a couple of people how to run it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'm struggling to advise a couple of people how to run it...

Tell them not to!! Ah no, but jeez that’s a terrible route for a race, not saying every race needs to be flat but racing up Knockmaroon Hill is tough tough going.

Tell them not to!! Ah no, but jeez that’s a terrible route for a race, not saying every race needs to be flat but racing up Knockmaroon Hill is tough tough going.

To measure your effort on the steep part to still continue uphill for another mile or so to Castleknock won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Very narrow there as well, esp if you're going to be meeting people coming against you in the opposite direction all thru there and Chapelizod village.

I paid for my bib but as I have sat on the sofa all summer eating all the pies, and the route is ultra challenging this year, I'm just going to let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Ultraman100

Ur gettin soft since u went european

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

I had a look there, fair play to him.

The route is very tough and if I hadn't already signed up months ago I'd be giving it a miss for sure.
    I'm going to treat it as a LSR. I'll ignore the clock and focus on building mental grit and stamina going up that stretch into Castleknock. That will hopefully stand to me in October in the final miles of DCM.

It's my first half so I'm guaranteed a PB! Ha,ha!

I had a look there, fair play to him.

The route is very tough and if I hadn't already signed up months ago I'd be giving it a miss for sure.
    I'm going to treat it as a LSR. I'll ignore the clock and focus on building mental grit and stamina going up that stretch into Castleknock. That will hopefully stand to me in October in the final miles of DCM.

It's my first half so I'm guaranteed a PB! Ha,ha!

Having run up it today and driven the route I have to say it's not as bad as has been made out. Obviously Knockmaroon Hill is difficult but it is very short. Even if you walk from the traffic lights at the bottom to the park gates you would only lose a couple of minutes compared to running it. The rest of the drag to Castleknock is very manageable. If you conserve energy on the steep part it will make the rest of the run to the finish much less difficult. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Having run up it today and driven the route I have to say it's not as bad as has been made out. Obviously Knockmaroon Hill is difficult but it is very short. Even if you walk from the traffic lights at the bottom to the park gates you would only lose a couple of minutes compared to running it. The rest of the drag to Castleknock is very manageable. If you conserve energy on the steep part it will make the rest of the run to the finish much less difficult. Best of luck with it.

Thanks so much for the advice!

Advertisement