Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock and Roll Half Marathon Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

I've only done 2 half marathons to date. My first was 2.28 (Newbridge House)and I was sick the week of the race, still had the sniffles on the day.

My second was 2.11 (Bohermeen) and I had trained consistently and felt good on the day.

I haven't trained for R&R, have been running a bit here and there but between the heat and family commitments, my longest run has only been 13k and that was really tough.

I'd do a 10k in 59mins relatively comfortably, so I'm thinking, considering the difficulty of this course and the lack of training, I might head out with the 2hr45min pacer and work from there.

TBH I would drop to the 10k only it's impossible for me to get to Trinity Sports Centre before the race to do the switch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I won two entries to the Rock n Roll races! I (being soft) am doing the 10k, and my husband is doing the half.
    Should I start another thread, or can I talk about the 10k here? For some reason, when I click on the 'See pdf of 10k Course' link, it just shows the half! And it's very difficult to follow on the combined map - what's that weird little circle the 10k does at the beginning?

http://www.runrocknroll.com/dublin/the-races/course/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I won two entries to the Rock n Roll races! I (being soft) am doing the 10k, and my husband is doing the half.
    Should I start another thread, or can I talk about the 10k here? For some reason, when I click on the 'See pdf of 10k Course' link, it just shows the half! And it's very difficult to follow on the combined map - what's that weird little circle the 10k does at the beginning?

http://www.runrocknroll.com/dublin/the-races/course/

After the route changes they were obviously stuck to get the distance spot on. Both races leave Conyngham Road and turn up towards Kilmainham, turn right into either an apartment or office block and do a lap of it before returning to the main road. I drove all the route except that little bit.

I haven't even looked at the route yet. In total denial

• Registered Users Posts: 8 RC78

Stupidly missed the entry deadline. On the website though the 'register' button is still there for the AAI National Championships. Have emailed asking if it's still possible to register. Anyone know if late entries are allowed?

• Advertisement

RC78 wrote: »
    Stupidly missed the entry deadline. On the website though the 'register' button is still there for the AAI National Championships. Have emailed asking if it's still possible to register. Anyone know if late entries are allowed?

Not sure but if you really wanted to try you could go to trinity sport centre on Friday and ask? Also, there are a few people trying to get rid of numbers on the Facebook page for the event

Just glanced at the elevation map for the half. Would I be right in saying that the first half is easier than the second?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I can't find the map with elevation for the 10k. This one SAYS 10k on the link, but when you click the half comes up:

https://rnr30-compgroup.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/sites/21/2018/07/RNR_18_DUB_Half_CourseMap_7-31-18_jw1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Here's the 10k map, but it doesn't show elevation
    https://rnr30-compgroup.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/sites/21/2018/07/RNR_18_DUB_10K_CourseMap_7-17-18_jw-1.pdf

It seems to be pretty flat for the most part, except the 4k which is straight up and back down a decent hill, and of course St Laurence's Road.

HelenAnne wrote: »
    I can't find the map with elevation for the 10k. This one SAYS 10k on the link, but when you click the half comes up:

https://rnr30-compgroup.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/sites/21/2018/07/RNR_18_DUB_Half_CourseMap_7-31-18_jw1.pdf

Oh yeah I see that.

I know this is a bit awkward, but if you open the half map and then the combined route map. You will see that the 10k is part of the half route so you should be able to work out the elevation by comparing the km markers on the 10k to the mile markers on the half, then look up those on the elevation chart for the half.

If that makes sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

RayCun wrote: »
    Here's the 10k map, but it doesn't show elevation
    https://rnr30-compgroup.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/sites/21/2018/07/RNR_18_DUB_10K_CourseMap_7-17-18_jw-1.pdf

It seems to be pretty flat for the most part, except the 4k which is straight up and back down a decent hill, and of course St Laurence's Road.

I would even go to say it really is just the back which is the hill as the out doesn't go up that much up to train bridge.

The half I wouldn't even do it even if I got a free entry

SeeMoreBut wrote: »
    The half I wouldn't even do it even if I got a free entry

Am very seriously considering dropping to the 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Does anyone know if they accept registrations on friday at the number collection?

Does anyone know if they accept registrations on friday at the number collection?

They do for AAI members, pretty sure they do for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Pretty sure they do. My sister missed online registration for the 10k and was told she could register at number collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭ooter

RayCun wrote: »
    They do for AAI members, pretty sure they do for everyone.

zedhead wrote: »
    Pretty sure they do. My sister missed online registration for the 10k and was told she could register at number collection.

Would this be the same for the 5k does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

One of the Waterstown Warriors went around the course on a bike, concocting this video as he did so.

Thanks for that, apart from Knockmaroon Hill which looks looks like a bit of a pig its not too bad. The Waterford Viking half of 2017 had something similar or maybe worse coming off the Greenway, not looking forward to that level of suffering again! Will definitely be holding some reserves in the tank coming up to that.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Can you get a friend to pick up your number if they have your confirmation email and copy of ID?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

10k doesn't have a sub 40 pacer, is it just me or is that weird?

It's 10k – 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:00

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭irishmanmick

Doing this on Sunday, looking forward to it. Hills will be a challenge, but sure isn't that part of the fun.

Video of the route was great, thanks for sharing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

10k doesn't have a sub 40 pacer, is it just me or is that weird?

It's 10k – 0:45, 0:50, 0:55, 1:00

Probably can't get anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭brennarr

Does anyone know if there is still entries on the day or know someone who has an entry for sale?

brennarr wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is still entries on the day or know someone who has an entry for sale?

entries at number collection afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I'm not running. I've done no training and my hearts not in it this year.

Just sitting down to look over the route now. Would I be right in saying:

from about 8 - 10.5km (5 - 6.5miles) ish is a tough gradual climb. (Looking at the map this is where Knockmaroon is. Don't know it personally, but have heard a lot about it!!!! :pac: )
    downhill a bit at around 13km (mile 8) (Somerton Lane area)
    at 16km (10 miles) there is another bit of a climb, followed shortly by a descent (which is going back by Knockmaroon it looks)
    at 18km (11 miles-ish) a small incline then more or less flat for the last bit (Chapelizoid/Sarsfield Road)

Not sure if those street names are correct as it's hard to read the map and I'm not familiar with them so please jump in if I have this wrong. Also, I'm sure my mile/kms are off as I'm guessing exact points as best I can according to the gradient map.

Water stations:
    1st - 2.6 miles/4.1km ish
    2nd - 5.7 miles/9km ish +GATORADE
    3rd - 9.2 miles/14.8k ish +GATORADE
    4th - 11.3 miles/18.2k ish

Again, am doing my best to pinpoint as close to the exact position as I can but might be way off. Any help will be gladly taken

Bananaleaf wrote: »

from about 8 - 10.5km (5 - 6.5miles) ish is a tough gradual climb. (Looking at the map this is where Knockmaroon is. Don't know it personally, but have heard a lot about it!!!! :pac: )
    at 16km (10 miles) there is another bit of a climb, followed shortly by a descent (which is going back by Knockmaroon it looks)
    at 18km (11 miles-ish) a small incline then more or less flat for the last bit (Chapelizoid/Sarsfield Road)

Not sure if those street names are correct as it's hard to read the map and I'm not familiar with them so please jump in if I have this wrong. Also, I'm sure my mile/kms are off as I'm guessing exact points as best I can according to the gradient map.

Water stations:

Again, am doing my best to pinpoint as close to the exact position as I can but might be way off. Any help will be gladly taken

Thanks for that, helps my race plan - in miles:

3-5 - take it easy, the beast is waiting (-15 seconds per mile from target)
    8-10 - slow a little,-5 to -10 seconds based on feel, its not a bad as Knockmaroon
    11+ celebrate!, give it socks if you're not banjaxxed.

Later, Home - Beer/Cider/Wine/Pizza :pac:

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Bananaleaf wrote: »

- Knockmaroon is the first part. Short, but very steep. There's a short level bit, then you run the DCM course in reverse, past Mount Sackville and through the Castleknock College crossroads, before turning into the back of the college grounds.

- This is from just after the old Guinness (Farmleigh) bridge up past the Anglers Rest pub, then back down Knockmaroon.

- This is the steepest hill on the DCM course (Mile 10 of DCM), again not that long, but it is at its steepest just before you turn into Ballyfermot.
    There's another short climb as you leave Ballyfermot, from under the railway line up to Cleary's pub in Inchicore.

Water stations:

Notes as above. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Never understood people who complain that a route is too hard....OMFG, imagine having to run up the odd hill and into the odd bit of wind and rain *nightmare*

I have zero doubt I will be blowing out my arse going up the hills, but the challenge is what makes it fun [afterwards] & [for me and others] good training into the legs for DCM.

If that is not your bag, find a route running down a mountain with a gale force wind at your back or something :D

Never understood people who ..[ranty mac rant] find a route running down a mountain with a gale force wind at your back or something :D

But my knees!
    #snowflake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭zedhead

Anyone know if there is a bag drop for the 5k tomorrow? I assume there is but just checking

Advertisement