Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated Fire Safety Report

Options
  • 16-03-2017 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Are there any companies that carry out retrospective fire safety reports on recent builds? Is it even possible? I've searched online but nothing is coming up. The companies seems to only supply a certificate upon completion of building works but these certificates issued in the Celtic Tiger are worth nothing!

With all the horror stories of pyrite and water ingress costing thousands, I would like to get my soon-to-be house checked over before signing the contract...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

I think very few engineers will be willing to audit a completed construction. The bulk of the things they'd need to see are behind walls. A proper sign off can only be done while the building is being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

You could try <mod snip> - not sure how much they'll do without being granted access to behind the walls etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭DvB

A house is exempt from requiring a fire safety certificate so you'll only have in this instance the Opinion of compliance as issued at the time by the Architect or engineer signing off on the property.

Alternatively if you're looking at buying you'll likely be engaging a third party Architect/Building surveyor to carry out an inspection & they should be able to point out any visual defects, as already pointed out though, these surveys wont allow for opening up of works to see whats going on beneath the surface.

For pyrite, all you can really do is search (e.g. online) to see if the development has a history of pyrite issues to date. Though again you could ask the surveyor to look into thta for you as well.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Are there any companies that carry out retrospective fire safety reports on recent builds? Is it even possible? I've searched online but nothing is coming up. The companies seems to only supply a certificate upon completion of building works but these certificates issued in the Celtic Tiger are worth nothing!

With all the horror stories of pyrite and water ingress costing thousands, I would like to get my soon-to-be house checked over before signing the contract...

House or apartment.
    Short answer is No.

Advertisement