Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difficulty finding work

Options
  • 16-03-2017 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I've been trying to get steady work for close to three years now.
    I've probably sent out a few thousand CVs at this point, and maybe 1 in 5 of them received an answer. Maybe 1 in 10 got me an interview. None of which got me a job for longer than a month.
    I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. If I did, then I could change it. I've basically been unemployed my entire life, and now I'm 21 and I'm still iving off my parents, and will be for the foreseeable future.
    I hate this. I hate living like this, and I hate feeling like I can't do anything about it.
    Can someone please help me out? Advice, tips, potential jobs, anything.
    I can't do this anymore.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Okay, there's a few things you could do.

1. A training course-think about what you'd like to work at and aim towards it.
    2. Get someone to look at your CV.
    3. Volunteer work
    4. Call into shops etc. dressed well and ask to see manager and hand them your CV, often works a lot better than a CV in the post.
    5. Get someone to practice interviews with you.

I know it's very hard to get that 1st start but you will eventually, at least you're trying hard, a lot of people out there not trying at all. My daughter went through similar and went back to college to study and is just about to start her 1st full time job at 23 so she got there eventually.

Give us an idea of what you'd like to be doing and people can give you some more pointers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 prendergast96

I want to do something artistic.
    But I also want to have a steady source of income.
    I thought I wanted to do something in animation, but now I'm not sure if I'm even able for it.
    My original plan was to do this part-time animation course in Dublin and work in the civil service or something similar to pay my way.
    But now I don't even know if I'm able for a career in animation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

I want to do something artistic.
    But I also want to have a steady source of income.
    I thought I wanted to do something in animation, but now I'm not sure if I'm even able for it.
    My original plan was to do this part-time animation course in Dublin and work in the civil service or something similar to pay my way.
    But now I don't even know if I'm able for a career in animation.

Okay so, take up the course in animation anyway, you don't know until you try. And don't limit yourself to work in the civil service, jesus it's a horrible job anyway. Apply for any and all kinds of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You need a job any job, take anything, centra, Mc Donald's big retail stores, those places have high turnover of staff, granted it's not arty but your gone past the point of having a choice, get a job and you can progress from there once you have some independence.
    Dress well and target your cv to the job, the machine gun approach isn't working.
    Can you even get a few hours in the local pub anything at all, today is a good day to ask as there's 2 busy days ahead, paddy's day then all the sport Saturday, if your presentable looking somebody will give you a few hours even if it's only picking up glasses.

Advertisement