Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving habits - are they generational?

• 16-03-2017 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

Just an idle thought.

I've always wet shaved with foam/ gel and safety razor, don't think I've ever used an electric razor. But my father was the opposite, as long as I recall anyway - he always used the electric gizmo. As a child though I recall my grandfather and he always pulled out the razor and strop and made up a foam. My son on the other hand chose to use the electric.

Is there anything in this? Do you stick to one method and who did you take it up from? Is it a case of, my father does that so I'll do the other etc??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

There is a degree of that, I believe it might also have to do with the popularization of various methods - I'm more or less the same, I've actually never even owned an electric razor, while my dad uses it on a daily basis; It probably has a lot to do with the electric shavers becoming mainstream in the '70s/'80s, when they were the new "hot stuff" and everyone wanted one.

More to it, I don't actually shave daily - I don't mind the stubble, and change "style" quite a lot - sometimes I have a full beard, sometimes a "5 o'clock shadow", sometimes a goatee; However no more than 25-30 years ago the "clean face" was an absolute must - I remember being amazed, as a kid, about my granddad having a mustache as you literally saw no other man sporting any kind of visible facial hair...and I am from Italy, go figure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

The only problem with using the electric razor is that it leaves a stubble. I used to use one myself but had to go with the foam and real double razor for a clean smooth shave, and it feels way better. The electric razor is fine for getting a months growth chopped down to size but that's all it's good for. I started shaving when I was 15 and always used an electric razor, but man does it wear the skin down. Foam and a nice sharp razor all the way, and better for the skin.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'd be hard to show any generationality because three generations back for most of us, electric razors were virtually unheard of (and four back they didn't exist). My father uses one and his father picked up the habit of using them in the US in the 40s well before they were common here.

Peak popularity was probably the 70s and I imagine its declining ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

Tried electric...didn't like them, very hard to get a good shave.

Recently switched over to using a safety razor...don't know why I didn't do it sooner. I currently use an Arko stick & brush to lather. Sensitive skin so using Derby blades for the time being. Looking at purchasing some Proraso cream soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I used to have a electric one, but it died , never liked the shave it gave compared to a Mach 5 or similar. Only kept using the electric as I paid good money for it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

ted1 wrote: »
    I used to have a electric one, but it died , never liked the shave it gave compared to a Mach 5 or similar. Only kept using the electric as I paid good money for it!!

Exactly thus. The electric razor eventually died and I didn't bother my barney replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

My da was always using electric as long as I can remember but I've never owned one to try it. Wet shave ftw.

I was also never shown how to shave and kinda learned as I went along. You do see in American movies the father teaching the kid how to shave as some sort of right of passage. Is that a thing here??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭Odelay

Jayop wrote: »
    My da was always using electric as long as I can remember but I've never owned one to try it. Wet shave ftw.

I was also never shown how to shave and kinda learned as I went along. You do see in American movies the father teaching the kid how to shave as some sort of right of passage. Is that a thing here??

Don't know why, but I was always terrified my dad would someday take the notion to teach me how to shave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Odelay wrote: »
    Don't know why, but I was always terrified my dad would someday take the notion to teach me how to shave.

lol, aye the same. **** that like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

My dad always uses some electric gizmo and one xmas I was given one. He was entirely hands off about the subject. Had a terrible relationship with it, maybe I've more sensitive skin. I had ok results with foam and disposables and eventually the mach series. My neck right-side (am left handed) was often a bit raw but I never stopped to think why and am the type of guy who often goes 3 days w/o shaving anyhow which let it heal.

I only jumped to wet shaving as a larf to save money (the funniest bit of all). Probably when one of the ol' bastards here posted something about it in a bargains thread about cheap mach3 razors which i used to get in from Germany. Now I can shave everyday, if I wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭The Oort Cloud

Did ye ever get the electric razor stuck on the beard? the pain of it caught in the hair. Another reason to stop using them.

Individual people have different thoughts and understanding in regard to others opinions, but the problem is this... there are some people out there that will do everything in their power to cut you off when they do not like your opinion even when it is truth.

https://youtu.be/v8EseBe4eIU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Right2Write

L1011 wrote: »
    It'd be hard to show any generationality because three generations back for most of us, electric razors were virtually unheard of (and four back they didn't exist).

That's true - didn't think of that. My father who's passed on now probably took up the electric after WW2. I can't recall why I never used one when I started shaving, too long ago. I think it must have my grandfather's example though as I distinctly recall being fascinated by his ritual as a kid. But there's still plenty of electric shavers on the market and I'll be curious to see what our younger son does in a few years, probably follow his older brother's example and go electric. Question is, will I be around long enough to see what happens if either has sons and what they do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't know what my grandfathers did, they died well before I was born. My father had a fairly thin beard and my first memory of him shaving in the 1980s was of him using Philishave electrics and occasionally a Bic disposable. It was obvious when he had used the Bic as there would be blood everywhere :)

I first started shaving in the early 90s age 14 (it was just the moustache that grew at first) and used an electric. IIRC I had my first wet shave at 15 but only started wet shaving consistently at around 18/19 by which time I had a lot more growth. I had tried various types of electrics and the Philishave type was the best of a bad lot.

Now I am 40 and haven't used an electric for over 15 years. Hate the things. Also, I need a close shave now more than ever as my facial hair is uneven patches of very dark hair and white hair, Looks silly unless very closely shaven.

Advertisement