Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minestrone Soup

Options
  • 16-03-2017 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm looking for your help for a tried, tested and recommend recipe for Minestrone soup.

I had it last week for the first time and it was gorgeous so I'd love to try making my own.

I've looked around for recipes and found so many, that I find it overwhelming and don't know what recipe to go for so I would greatly appreciate any help in finding a good one.

I should point out I can't have Parmesan cheese so I need a recipe that doesn't include it or won't be affected taste wise if I leave it out.

Thank you all so much for any help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Minestrone is whatever you want it to be.

I make mine with the stock I've cooked a piece of bacon in sometimes.

gently fry off a mirepoix, which usually contains a diced onion, carrot, celery until the onions are translucent, you could also throw in a bit of oregano or mixed herbs here too, and some tomato puree.

Now have a look around for some other veg - some finely chopped green cabbage leaves (I keep the outside hardy leaves for this so they retain some bite in the finished soup), a diced spud, maybe some rounds of leek. Whatever you have really, Minestrone has no hard and fast rules.

Add your stock, about a litre and a tin of tomatoes if you want, bring to the boil then back to a simmer.

At this stage I add my meat, if I'm using bacon stock I shred some of that bacon and put it in, otherwise you might lash in some chorizo or something.

Once it's simmering you can leave it to meld the flavours, you're looking to get it as thick as you want. Then put in your starch, either rice or small pasta like Macaroni, and simmer the soup until that's cooked. If you are planning to use rice then stick it in before the soup gets too thick, and use more liquid too.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

I haven't made this, but it's a good read and Rachel Roddy's stuff usually works. Might be becoming unseasonal, though. The recipe uses a parmesan rind, but no actual parmesan, so I guess any umami source would work as a substitute, or just ignore it :)
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/nov/24/winter-minestrone-soup-recipe-celery-soffritto-rachel-roddy-

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm a bit of a philistine in my approach to minestrone - I simply finely chop whatever veg I've got (broccoli, carrots, celery, cauliflower, even sometimes leftover lettuce that's going a bit limp in the wrist) and throw it all onto a big pot with some stock. Add a handful of frozen peas and boil until the veg is just soft, then squeeze in some tomato puree. Some freshly chopped spring onions and basil on top, and that's it.

Reading this will probably bring tears to the eyes of any Italian, but it's still rather tasty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I had a philosophical discussion with an Italian friend about what should go into a 'proper' Minestrone.

"My-a Nonna say that all-a you need is-a water & a stone to add-a some flavour." Basically, there are no rules. As a peasant dish - you use whatever veg & pieces of pasta that you have available.

Carbonara, on the other hand... ;)

Yeah, but what sort of stone? And how big should each stone be? Do they need breaking? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A small-a stone will-a do. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

I had a philosophical discussion with an Italian friend about what should go into a 'proper' Minestrone.

"My-a Nonna say that all-a you need is-a water & a stone to add-a some flavour." Basically, there are no rules. As a peasant dish - you use whatever veg & pieces of pasta that you have available.

Carbonara, on the other hand... ;)

I've seen some criminal concoctions, including some from celebrity chefs

A small-a stone will-a do. :)

Ah, that's the voice of authenticity. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You can make it with practically anything; there are both regional and seasonal variations. But elements considered more or less canonical are:

- tomatoes

- chickpeas or other beans

- pasta

You will need other vegetables beyond the chickpeas and the tomatoes, but it doesn't greatly matter which other vegetables.

For the distinctively Italian flavour, include any or all of the following: garlic, oregano, basil or pesto sauce (though not pesto, obviously, if you want to avoid parmesan), sundried tomatoes, a pinch of chili.

Parmesan is a common garnish, but it's not commonly used in the making of the soup itself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I made this Italian vegetable soup a while ago and it's delicious, and so satisfying you could have it for dinner. I used a tin of mixed beans instead of butter beans, and I added the parmesan but you could easily leave it out.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1094667/italian-vegetable-soup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

what's the stone for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 keithbburke99

I tried this and found it a good recipe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Makes for a heavier soup though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thank you so much everyone for all of your help and suggestions, I appreciate you taking the time.

I'll give your suggestions a go and report back on how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Though a little late for you, here is my version of minestrone. Though as someone said above, it really is an anything goes kinda soup, so pick the veg you like and just find what works for you.

2 cloves garlic finely chopped
    1 red onion – diced
    1 large carrot – diced
    1 stick celery – sliced
    1 tin tomatoes
    1 large potato – peeled, diced
    2 pints veg stock
    1 pint water
    1/3 – ½ cup dried cannellini beans (soak the night before – min 8 hours, pref 12 hours) or about 1/3 of tin.
    Pasta – if using dried spaghetti about 20 pieces, broken up; 1-2 handfuls of penne
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 tsp dried basil
    Salt and Pepper

Heat a little oil in the pot and add garlic, onion, carrots and celery to cook off.
    Add tin of tomatoes, salt and pepper, stirring until heated through.
    Add potato, beans, oregano, basil and stock. Bring to boil then let it simmer. If you have bought beans that were pre-cooked simmer for around 30 mins. Otherwise up to an hour until beans are tender.
    Top up pot with pint of water and add pasta.
    Cook for another 15 minutes until pasta is ready.

Advertisement