Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Conlan Pro Debut

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

Now my little bottom farts... I keep myself on the outside looking through the windows of this forum...

On this occasion, I must voice my opinion on the MC pro debut victory...

What's the story with the Irish dancing in the ring prior to the main event...?

What's with the leprechaun's hat...?

Green, white & gold gloves...... Pleeeeease!!

The opponent was poor (ok with me as a pro debut)

Why make an ass of things all Irish??

Best of luck to MC - Needs to step back from Bob Arums marketing ideas... Makes the Irish look like a bunch of crock of gold seeking eejits!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

NIMAN wrote: »
    Solid debut to be fair to him, but anyone else think ref stopped it a bit early?

No need to continue. Getting hit a lot and throwing nothing back. Ref correct

flanna01 wrote: »
    Now my little bottom farts... I keep myself on the outside looking through the windows of this forum...

On this occasion, I must voice my opinion on the MC pro debut victory...

What's the story with the Irish dancing in the ring prior to the main event...?

What's with the leprechaun's hat...?

Green, white & gold gloves...... Pleeeeease!!

The opponent was poor (ok with me as a pro debut)

Why make an ass of things all Irish??

Best of luck to MC - Needs to step back from Bob Arums marketing ideas... Makes the Irish look like a bunch of crock of gold seeking eejits!!

Arum knows what he's doing. The plebs lap this Oirish shyte up

Morrison J wrote: »
    Top Rank are a different level.

Hearn's problem is he has a massive ego. He doesn't go to fighters to sign them, he waits for fighters to go to him. Top Rank are the best in the sport at taking prospects to the top.

Conlan is far better off with Top Rank. If he was with Hearn he'd be rotting away on some undercard in Hull or something.

Is Hearn a bit biased toward the British olympian winnners turned pro?

He seems to rate Katie but tbf for years she is the very very best that is out there. Eddie Hearn is also very fond of getting his mug in front of the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

NIMAN wrote: »
    Solid debut to be fair to him, but anyone else think ref stopped it a bit early?

Even though a stoppage was inevitable that stoppage was far too early seeing as only 1 or 2 of those shots got through

• Advertisement

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Even though a stoppage was inevitable that stoppage was far too early seeing as only 1 or 2 of those shots got through

He wasn't responding at all. Ref was correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Words from the man himself
    Conlan wrote:
    “I’m giving myself a F, I don’t think I performed too well, but I still got the TKO.

“There were a lot of nerves tonight and it was my professional debut, it was nerve-wracking but I think I handled it the pressure well enough for a first professional fight, I do believe I’ll be Ireland’s greatest professional fighter and a three-weight world champion.

“This is the start of something great. Look at this atmosphere, look at this crowd. Where would you get it?

“I said before the fight I’d do it in the third round, I was going to take my time, and that’s what I did. I would have liked it more clean than a TKO but it is what it is.

“I don’t think I’ll ever forget this night in my life, this is a real, real special night for me. I hope this will be my home every year and I’ll celebrate every year.

“I dream about being a world champion and do feel comfortable about saying it. I’m proud to be Irish today. Happy St Patrick’s Day to everyone tuning in around the world and everyone for turning up.”

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

He seems to rate Katie but tbf for years she is the very very best that is out there. Eddie Hearn is also very fond of getting his mug in front of the camera

Hearn is the UK. Arum is USA.

How many of his fighters are even known outside the U.K. (And Irl)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 652 ✭✭✭DanielODonnell

In Wrestling Seamus from Dublin used to put on a crown and call himself the king of Tara so a bit of fleg waving is nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

You're seriously jumping the gun.

You can't count boxing superstars on 1 hand. Please God he lives up to his billing as a pro, it's a learning process from here on in.

It can go either way in my opinion, he is given top billing tonight but he's a small fish in a big pond with top rank.

Make no mistake if he veers off course top rank will have other prospects to fill his shoes. Long road to potential success ahead
    Not at all. Top Rank don't have guys who can fill the MSG arena on their pro debut. Likes of Terrance Crawford still struggle to sell it out and he's an elite top 10 guy. Conlan is already one of their most valuable fighters on their roster. He sells and will continue to sell because he's ridiculously marketable.

Edit: *MSG theatre

• Advertisement

He was in the Basement in the Garden, its 5,000 seats. Let's not jump ahead of ourselves lads

snowflaker wrote: »
    He wasn't responding at all. Ref was correct.

I don't agree. He had his hands up, it wasn't the type of sustained attack that should end a fight. Only 1-2 of conlan shots found the target.

Agree to disagree. No doubt whatsoever he'd stop him but theven timing was questionable in my opinion as it usually is when a prospect needs to build his record in the early stages.

In the Era of Trump and Farage Arum knows all the plebs want is shiny slogans and gawdy gimmicks. This isn't boxing- this is show business!

I don't agree. He had his hands up, it wasn't the type of sustained attack that should end a fight. Only 1-2 of conlan shots found the target.

Agree to disagree. No doubt whatsoever he'd stop him but theven timing was questionable in my opinion as it usually is when a prospect needs to build his record in the early stages.

There was three seperate barrages of punches that reined in on the guy. He's not their to get seriously hurt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Can't wait to see him fighting in Ireland, has great potential and will be intriguing to see how he gets on with the big boys in his weight, just hope he has the opportunity to learn his trade first before he's matched up to them

Those pros who sign with him literally seek out Hearn as that's where the £££ is. Hearn will only take them so far though. He's not in the same league as Top Rank matchmaking wise for example either.

Only reason he's linked up with Katie Taylor is because she's a cheap option to stick on his PPV undercards and she sells. That's the harsh reality really. It's all about the money with Hearn, not the fighters.

That is quite true tbf but at the same time there is the potential for a packed o2 or Wembley and a sky deal?

begbysback wrote: »
    Can't wait to see him fighting in Ireland, has great potential and will be intriguing to see how he gets on with the big boys in his weight, just hope he has the opportunity to learn his trade first before he's matched up to them

Arum won't rush him. I'd say he'll fight in the states a lot

He was in the Basement in the Garden, its 5,000 seats. Let's not jump ahead of ourselves lads

Why play it down? It's literally unheard of to sell it out and get that kind of hype for a pro debut. Not since De La Hoya.

That is quite true tbf but at the same time there is the potential for a packed o2 or Wembley and a sky deal?

Sky is pish money compared to the US market- do you know how much PPV sells for over there???

Conlan will only be home if he doesn't make it over there.

• Advertisement

Other than AJ not many id say.

Why play it down? It's literally unheard of to sell it out and get that kind of hype for a pro debut. Not since De La Hoya.

Didn't Khan have a huge debut? I'm sure many other boxers did too.

It's in his contract that he fights in Ireland once a year. Basically a done deal he'll fight in the Odyssey in Belfast in November with his brother on the card too.

Not at all. Top Rank don't have guys who can fill the MSG arena on their pro debut. Likes of Terrance Crawford still struggle to sell it out and he's an elite top 10 guy. Conlan is already one of their most valuable fighters on their roster. He sells and will continue to sell because he's ridiculously marketable.

Fair play on the sell out but Terence Crawford didn't sell out the main building, Conlan didn't fight in main building so it's a poor reference to make.

I don't doubt he's marketable. If we are talking quality then it's early days. John Duddy was popular and marketable let's hope Conlan lives up to the hype.

The point stands, Bob arum has prospects coming out of his ears. No doubt on cinco de mayo he will have a shiny new Mexican superstar prospect selling out in el paso.

I hope Conlan is a quality boxer to get behind rather than a marketable paddy who ends up being a gatekeeper fighting on undercards of where the real elite are at.

Sky is pish money compared to the US market- do you know how much PPV sells for over there???

Im thinking though, does Fox get the tv rights to whatever Sky gets? im not arguing with you btw but merely inquisitive as to who are the big big players.

Im thinking though, does Fox get the tv rights to whatever Sky gets? im not arguing with you btw but merely inquisitive as to who are the big big players.

Showtime Box
    HBO
    ESPN boxing

Fair play on the sell out but Terence Crawford didn't sell out the main building, Conlan didn't fight in main building so it's a poor reference to make.

I don't doubt he's marketable. If we are talking quality then it's early days. John Duddy was popular and marketable let's hope Conlan lives up to the hype.

The point stands, Bob arum has prospects coming out of his ears. No doubt on cinco de mayo he will have a shiny new Mexican superstar prospect selling out in el paso.

I hope Conlan is a quality boxer to get behind rather than a marketable paddy who ends up being a gatekeeper fighting on undercards of where the real elite are at.

Crawford has never fought in the main building. He fought Hank Lundy in the theatre last year and it didn't sell as well as Conlan's fight tonight. It's a fine reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There is a danger that people just casually browsing, and unaware may assume you keep referring to the the Arena, and the Garden as if it is not the Theater at MSG.

Capacity bring hugely different of course.

What were the numbers actually? Did it sell out? I thought there were still tickets available for it, the capacity is 5500, given the hype around the fighter from the Olympics, Top Rank being involved, and it being Paddys Day it isn't a huge shock to see it do well is it?

I know Top Rank predicted it would sell out, but did it? From my quick google RTE said it was a sell out at 5000 tickets.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

There is a danger that people just casually browsing, and unaware may assume you keep referring to the the Arena, and the Garden as if it is not the Theater at MSG.

Capacity bring hugely different of course.

What were the numbers actually? Did it sell out? I thought there were still tickets available for it, the capacity is 5500, given the hype around the fighter from the Olympics, Top Rank being involved, and it being Paddys Day it isn't a huge shock to see it do well is it?

Tickets were still available afaik. 5,000 quoted that would leave 500 extra
    Call 5,000 capacity and remove 500 seats

• Advertisement

Didn't Khan have a huge debut? I'm sure many other boxers did too.

Pretty big. 6K odd in Bolton, his hometown. I think Conlan doing over 5K in NYC is more impressive though. Realistically he could've sold out the Odyssey in Belfast if he'd fought there tonight. 11K odd.

Advertisement