Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Conlan Pro Debut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

So after watching Conlan headline and sell out the MSG theatre, your biggest takeaway is that Shakur Stevenson will be an even bigger star than him.

Either you're a standard Irish begrudger or just a troll. I'll leave you to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭snowflaker

I believe Stevenson to be more of a talent. Am I not entitled to hold that opinion???

snowflaker wrote: »
    I believe Stevenson to be more of a talent. Am I not entitled to hold that opinion???

You are completely entitled to that opinion.

But to make statements implying that being on an Oscar Valdez undercard is more impressive than headlining the theatre at MSG would lead me to believe you're either trolling or you're Shakur's mum.

Morrison J wrote: »
    You are completely entitled to that opinion.

But to make statements implying that being on an Oscar Valdez undercard is more impressive than headlining the theatre at MSG would lead me to believe you're either trolling or you're Shakur's mum.

Your reductive style of writing leads me to believe you read too many tabloids or watch too much sky sports

• Registered Users Posts: 13 AMC1991

I think you are going over the top- it's not literally unheard of- I already cited Khan and I'm sure Joshua sold out too- and they are both UK fighters.

Arum sees a cash cow, he milks it.

Attendance wise, 5,000 in the Theatre is a great start to Conlan's career, especially considering Lomachenko vs Walters was contested in front of 2,000 at the Cosmopolitan.

As for Joshua he fought on the undercard at the O2 on his debut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

He's a decent fighter at the very least, it was his pro debut, and I'm sure he was nervous going in.

If he produces half the anticipation or excitement that a Bernard Dunne, Steve Collins or a Wayne McCullough did, then we all should be very proud and be behind him all the way.

It was his pro debut ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A nation of bregrudgers aren't we? Just enjoy it.

Not really. You're just going way OTT with ramming it down people's throats about MCs selling potential. You're even more hyped up about it than he is. Relax, and let the man fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Happy for conlon but long term i just dont think he has the skills to stay at the top. He gets caught way too much for my liking

pac_man wrote: »
    Just watched the fight and he wasn't all that good, I'm glad he admitted and recognised that himself. It was probably down to nerves.

A couple of Olympians on the undercard, how did they look? Robson Conceicao(Brazilian gold medalist) still wild with his punches?

Conceicao was wild as usual. Slapping with his punches cosistently.

walshb wrote: »
    Not really. You're just going way OTT with ramming it down people's throats about MCs selling potential. You're even more hyped up about it than he is. Relax, and let the man fight.

Just enjoying the fact we finally have the boxer with star potential that we've been waiting for. Is that a crime?

Nothing I've said is out of whack. The only things out of whack are those saying Joshua/Khan debuts were bigger or Shakur Stevenson is going to be fighting in front of 30K.

Those statements are false and built off classic Irish begrudgery tbf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He'll need to find some discipline with those massive swinging hooks - a better fighter would make him really pay. Still not bad for a debut and you can see his natural talent and speed is definitely there.

Just enjoying the fact we finally have the boxer with star potential that we've been waiting for. Is that a crime?

Nothing I've said is out of whack. The only things out of whack are those saying Joshua/Khan debuts were bigger or Shakur Stevenson is going to be fighting in front of 30K.

Those statements are false and built off classic Irish begrudgery tbf.

their debuts were. Facts are not begrudgery, Unless you the buy the ott hype your are a begrudger now???

He was far too eager coming out and those overhand rights he was missing by a mile with were ugly. Once he stopped looking for the highlight reel KO and worked the body and threw some combinations end of the 2nd he started to look the part more for sure.

Solid but unspectacular performance overall.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Absolutely rancid on his pro debut and they are manipulating betting markets for what rounds he finishes in, I got some on with ladbrokes but they havent paid out yet funny enough but this had the mob written all over it 6s into 4/9.

Arum then launched an attack on the major sports television broadcasters in the USA. "This was not a major network over here in the USA and it was a complete and utter wasted opportunity for what was a great event," said Arum. "Boxing needs events like this and they failed to see that."

USA not as interested it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Arum then launched an attack on the major sports television broadcasters in the USA. "This was not a major network over here in the USA and it was a complete and utter wasted opportunity for what was a great event," said Arum. "Boxing needs events like this and they failed to see that."

USA not as interested it seems.

Maybe if they had made it more of a St Patrick's Day card and had someone like, oh I don't know, let's say Paddy Barnes fighting on it.....

It was a poxy undercard and some Irish kid on his debut fight headlining it, isn't going to get the Yanks to splash out.

Maybe if they had made it more of a St Patrick's Day card and had someone like, oh I don't know, let's say Paddy Barnes fighting on it.....

It was a poxy undercard and some Irish kid on his debut fight headlining it, isn't going to get the Yanks to splash out.

Exactly, I couldnt understand Arum's annoyance.

Just enjoying the fact we finally have the boxer with star potential that we've been waiting for. Is that a crime? .

No. Is a less than OTT enthusiastic view a crime, or begrudgery? Bit of give and take is all that's needed.

Conlons style will cost him to be highlight reel ko'd eventually with his hands so low.

walshb wrote: »
    No. Is a less than OTT enthusiastic view a crime, or begrudgery? Bit of give and take is all that's needed.

No but there's a difference between taking enjoyment out of an Irish athlete doing well for himself and actively looking for a stick to beat him with i.e implying that Stevenson's debut will be bigger when it 100% won't be.

• Advertisement

Decent show by MC. His body work and selection to the body were the positives. As I thought, accuracy and wide shooting, his negatives. As much as a fan of MCs I was when he was an amateur, his connection percentage was always lacking. Katie and Barnes a bit similar. Plenty shots thrown, but a lot of misses and deflections and blocks.

Anyway, far too early to make any kind of future prediction for MC. I'll put the absolute superstar tag on ice for the moment...��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Sweet Science

Still feel MC wont be elite as a pro but hope to be proven wrong .

I'm believing the Quigley hype and think he can go to the world level but it would be great if we had the 2 of them on big cards here in the future

Still feel MC wont be elite as a pro but hope to be proven wrong .

I'm the same. If I had to give a yes/no, it would be a no for me. Many variables to consider, one being what is elite today? The sport is so diluted and mixed up that it's lost so much of what I believe elite to be. There are fighters out there today and recently with WC labels that just are not near elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

I think he'll be world class, meaning he'll pick up a couple of world titles, be in the mix, like say Tim Bradley. Top Rank's matchmaking and influence will see to that. I see nothing to suggest he'll be elite, but you very rarely do after one fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭Henno30

Conlan wasn't great but pro debuts often look like that. He was better than Nevin to be fair.

Anyone mention the suspicion over betting for the fight yet? A flood of money came in for Conlan to win in the 3rd.

https://twitter.com/Fight_Ghost/status/842887833262075904

C7KO-jhVwAIk61N.jpg

https://twitter.com/Fight_Ghost/status/842920235472580612

https://twitter.com/Fight_Ghost/status/842921316852228096

https://twitter.com/Box_Bet/status/843180175357628416

Replay on RTE 2 now

Unless proven that the "fix was in" I don't see any problem with the betting thing. Conlan has said in interviews after that he told everyone round 3 and he did it. Fair play imo. Bookies should be paying it. That's the risk they take with those markets. Only a problem if the boxer backs himself to lose surely.

Plenty of similar stories through the years. Didn't Kiko Martinez team all lump on him to beat Bernard Dunne in round 1?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭Guffy

Henno30 wrote: »
    Conlan wasn't great but pro debuts often look like that. He was better than Nevin to be fair.

Anyone mention the suspicion over betting for the fight yet? A flood of money came in for Conlan to win in the 3rd.

https://twitter.com/Fight_Ghost/status/842887833262075904

C7KO-jhVwAIk61N.jpg

https://twitter.com/Fight_Ghost/status/842920235472580612

https://twitter.com/Fight_Ghost/status/842921316852228096

https://twitter.com/Box_Bet/status/843180175357628416

365 settled at 3/1 thanks to the lads here for highlighting. Got on at 1.30am for a nice return

You can be sure they wouldnt be holding payment if the fight ended in the 4th or 2nd, there would be nothing said, absolute welchers trying to find a way of not paying, im waiting on payment and 100% sure I'll get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭Guffy

Gamebred wrote: »
    You can be sure they wouldnt be holding payment if the fight ended in the 4th or 2nd, there would be nothing said, absolute welchers trying to find a way of not paying, im waiting on payment and 100% sure I'll get it.

Ladbrooks are crooks, duno why people still use them

Advertisement