Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Michael Conlan Pro Debut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

What a total mismatch. Conlan's opponent is s blown up light fly with a 4-4 record. Never fought above 112 ish lbs. what is this going to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What a total mismatch. Conlan's opponent is s blown up light fly with a 4-4 record. Never fought above 112 ish lbs. what is this going to prove?

Just shut up and hop aboard the hype train!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

He needs those highlight reel KO's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

I'm fitter than him and I've not seen the inside of a gym in 14 weeks

Any word on what round he's picking?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

begbysback wrote: »
    Any word on what round he's picking?

Will know when the Kinahans have their money on, although im still waiting to be paid from his debut rd 3 win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

That fella last night had no right to be in the ring with conlon. **** like this puts me right off the sport of boxing

If they were fighting in the school yard then you'd tell conlon to pick on someone his own size!!

Tbf he looked much sharper and composed this time, I guess that's the purpose of such matches

begbysback wrote: »
    If they were fighting in the school yard then you'd tell conlon to pick on someone his own size!!

Tbf he looked much sharper and composed this time, I guess that's the purpose of such matches

It's easy to be so relaxed and composed when you are fighting a complete nobody.

MCs career has not begun yet. It only truly begins when he meets competent and capable opponents.

I have no real analysis to offer. I rarely do with these kind of mismatches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Lomachenkos pro career and opponent choices should be supported, could've wrecked a heap of bums to ''get experience'' but he took a chance very early to fight the best around hats off to him hes a breath of fresh air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Conlon kinda looks embarrassed in that photo.

"I'm going to have to beat on this chubby guy".

Does nothing for MCs credibility or the sports.

Pretty much standard procedure at this stage of a fighter's career. Doesn't exactly damage his credibility either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭megadodge

Gamebred wrote: »
    Lomachenkos pro career and opponent choices should be supported, could've wrecked a heap of bums to ''get experience'' but he took a chance very early to fight the best around hats off to him hes a breath of fresh air.

Try not to forget that Lomachenko is the exception to the rule, in more senses than one.

In the history of boxing only Pete Rademacher could be said to have a harder opening to his pro career when he challenged heavyweight champ Floyd Patterson on his DEBUT having won the Olympic gold.

Lomachenko also had six WSB bouts which are in effect professional contests.

I'd prefer if Conlan's contests were harder and if the radio is to be believed this morning he's of the same opinion himself, but the way people are talking here it's as if Conlan is after his 20th bout not his second.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pretty much standard procedure at this stage of a fighter's career. Doesn't exactly damage his credibility either.

You mean deliberately put him in against a bum who has no chance, for fear of ruining a marketable boxers career too early?

MC even said himself, in a roundabout way, that the guy was useless.

NIMAN wrote: »
    You mean deliberately put him in against a bum who has no chance, for fear of ruining a marketable boxers career too early?

MC even said himself, in a roundabout way, that the guy was useless.

Yes, that's exactly what i mean. Standard procedure.

I think Conlan was more annoyed that the guy didn't come to fight and it's hard to look good against someone like that. He obviously knew the guy was a bum as soon as the fight was announced, no surprises there.

I could be wrong but did the announcer call the fight at flyweight?

MC weighing in at 123.5...

Yes, he did say flyweight...stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I see Conlan's fighting another absolute nobody. Jarrett Owen, an 31-year-old Australian who's never fought outside of Austalia, had just one fight outside of Queensland, and has five wins from 12 bouts.

Think the gloss is already starting to wear off.

I see Conlan's fighting another absolute nobody. Jarrett Owen, an 31-year-old Australian who's never fought outside of Austalia, had just one fight outside of Queensland, and has five wins from 12 bouts.

Good. He's going into his third fight, there should be no gloss. Gloss should be earned in the ring. This is pretty standard for a 3rd fight. It might be best you tune out for the next 12-18 months and check in with him again later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Were you expecting anything different?

The gloss of the debut was never going to remain tbf. End of the day he's headlined two shows and is appearing high up on the bill for a Pacquiao fight. Not a bad stage to be learning from. Virtually unheard of for a three fight prospect.

The opponents aren't going to be much better for the foreseeable realistically. No point in risking putting his career in tatters by throwing him into the deep end when he's still only learning. Top Rank are the best there is at building prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Think its a compliment to Conlan that some are already wanting him to face more difficult opponents but no point rushing there as he has to gain experience.

Met him at the Mexico game along with Macklin and you would want to see his face when we asked would McGregor lead him out again:D

He also confirmed after oz his next fight would be in Boston.

• Advertisement

Changed trainers to Adam Booth. Great news!

Robles was just the completely wrong style of trainer trying to make Mick into some kind of Mexican pressure fighter.

Writing was on the wall in Mick's last fight I thought when he boxed more and basically ignored everything Robles was trying to make him into. Wasn't a coincidence that it was his best performance to date. Booth will be perfect for him.

Morrison J wrote: »

Robles was just the completely wrong style of trainer trying to make Mick into some kind of Mexican pressure fighter.

Writing was on the wall in Mick's last fight I thought when he boxed more and basically ignored everything Robles was trying to make him into. Wasn't a coincidence that it was his best performance to date. Booth will be perfect for him.

Couldn't agree more.

Delighted it's Booth, as I rate him very highly as a trainer. A real thinker and strategist and usually gets the best out of his boxers.

Morrison J wrote: »

You still think he becomes an absolute mega star? Surely Robles would have done everything he could to have kept him stateside? Rumor has it that Robles was not giving the time to Conlan....Was a little more interested in Valdez..

MCs still due to fight stateside for Top Rank. I wonder has something gone a wee bit sour?

walshb wrote: »
    You still think he becomes an absolute mega star? Surely Robles would have done everything he could to have kept him stateside? Rumor has it that Robles was not giving the time to Conlan....Was a little more interested in Valdez..

MCs still due to fight stateside for Top Rank. I wonder has something gone a wee bit sour?

Yep and this is definitely a further positive step towards that becoming reality.

Valdez is tailor-made for Robles as a trainer being a high output, pressure fighter. I can see why they'd have more of a connection.

Conlan was on Newstalk after his last fight saying he took advice from his dad and fought different to what Robles was teaching him and how much better he performed as a result. I doubt things turned sour, he just made the move that made sense for him career wise. Robles was never going to get the best out of him, same with Quigley.

He'll keep fighting stateside because Top Rank know he can be their future cash cow over there. Once he keeps winning he'll keep selling tickets. Nobody in world boxing who can sell out the theatre in MSG on their debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

March 17 in the theatre next up with presale this day week.

But he will be traveling across the pond to get there. With the change of trainer this is not much of a shock but still a shame IMO. Overall though family comes first.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/1/24/16931062/michael-conlan-changes-trainers-moving-back-to-belfast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Anyone else think he’s being “offloaded”?

By Robles? Why would you think that?

No.

I think he's going to a much better coach and it suits him infinitely more from a domestic perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

pac_man wrote: »
    No chance. Conlan has the potential to be a major cashcow and trainers get 10% of that.

Still think when US trainers think a guy isn’t quite up to it, they suddenly get homesick

• Advertisement

Only MC and TR and Robles know...

I asked the question...

Bit early really to think it’s an offloading, but you never know.

He has yet to fight anyone approaching decent, so if TR and Robles offloaded him then it’s a bit premature.

Advertisement