Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MiLight application (wifi bulbs controller) calling home?

• 16-03-2017 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

A while ago I got a few MiLight wifi RGB bulbs - they are great. To do the initial setup I installed MiLight application from the google play store. I still use the app to control the bulbs. Today I installed NetMonitor from my normal safe source of apps (f-droid) and to my surprise MiLight keeps 5 (!) connections to:

ec2-52-18-176-89.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
    183.240.12.89 - China Guangzhou China Mobile Communications Corporation
    113.31.80.158 - China Huayuan Future Century Telecom Co.ltd
    130.229.215.17 - China Guangzhou Guangdong Litong Network Technology Limited
    139.198.190.34 - China Beijing Yunify Technologies Inc.

Is it just me or that thing is calling home?? :eek:

P.S. To do the initial setup I had to give it wifi password to allow wifi bulb hub to connect to my wifi network. The app likes to ask for location, but it's blocked by cyanogenmod privacy guard.

P.S.S I'll have to block the wifi bulb hub on home router to make sure it doesn't sniff local traffic. [DONE :D ]
    Tagged:

Comments

PrzemoF wrote: »
    A while ago I got a few MiLight wifi RGB bulbs - they are great. To do the initial setup I installed MiLight application from the google play store. I still use the app to control the bulbs. Today I installed NetMonitor from my normal safe source of apps (f-droid) and to my surprise MiLight keeps 5 (!) connections to:

ec2-52-18-176-89.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
    183.240.12.89 - China Guangzhou China Mobile Communications Corporation
    113.31.80.158 - China Huayuan Future Century Telecom Co.ltd
    130.229.215.17 - China Guangzhou Guangdong Litong Network Technology Limited
    139.198.190.34 - China Beijing Yunify Technologies Inc.

Is it just me or that thing is calling home?? :eek:

P.S. To do the initial setup I had to give it wifi password to allow wifi bulb hub to connect to my wifi network. The app likes to ask for location, but it's blocked by cyanogenmod privacy guard.

P.S.S I'll have to block the wifi bulb hub on home router to make sure it doesn't sniff local traffic. [DONE :D ]

I think you can assume Beijing now knows your WIFI password, and your email password. Probably your boards password as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

You have to type wifi password during the setup process, so this one definitely yes.

I removed the application from my phone and now I can only control the bulbs from a local raspberry pi.

P.S. If you see some strange posts from my account it's not me ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭iba

Hi,

Looking for some help. I'm using the Mi Light version 3.7 app. I can connect and control my light strips over wifi no problem.

I cannot though get the timer settings to work nor can I get it to work over 3g/4g - is it just me or does it just not work?

I guess the answer is 'no' but is there anyway to get this to work with Alexa?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48434175

"The lab has also found "smart" bulbs and plugs that tell advertising companies whenever they're switched on or off, and a webcam that sends data, of some sort, to 52 organisations other than its manufacturer."

Advertisement