Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train driver working hours

• 16-03-2017 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Train Driver - Working Hours

Hi lads,

Im just curious, drivers based in hueston or connolly.

What are the hours? What time do they start in the morning. What time do they finish. What breaks.

If anyone has any info.

Thanks alot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

Train Driver - Working Hours

Hi lads,

Im just curious, drivers based in hueston or connolly.

What are the hours? What time do they start in the morning. What time do they finish. What breaks.

If anyone has any info.

Thanks alot.

Train Drivers nationwide are required to be available to work anytime day or night on a 5 over 7 basis. The bigger depots such as Heuston / Connolly would have 12am, 3 am , 4am ,5 am starts as well as 10pm, 11pm, 12am and 1am finishing times. There would be a range of starting times during the day also.

Regarding breaks, they may be rostered breaks but if the service is running late or a major takedown occurs forget about them.

The railway doesn't care about inclement weather , your personal circumstances, your home life arrangements. It's not for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭dev100

The railway doesn't care about inclement weather , your personal circumstances, your home life arrangements. It's not for everyone

When do you receive your rota ? Is it planned a week or a month etc in advance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

Thanks for the reply...

I applied for it this year. And have been told i am on the panel. I just wanted to know what the hours are like.

Really hoping to hear from Irish Rail for a start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Rootsblower

dev100 wrote: »
    When do you receive your rota ? Is it planned a week or a month etc in advance ?

Your rota is based on how many drivers are in your depot i.e 20 drivers = 20 week rota. Some weeks will have defined start/finishing times but some depots have "as required" jobs which means no start/finishing times just assigned days off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭ALS

Heuston has 3 working links , new drivers start on the pilot link which involves shunting trains around Heuston/ Inchicore
    B link which is a 46 week roster and includes work along your core route , Heuston - portlaoise - Cork , Heuston - Galway , Heuston - Waterford and also Heuston - Grand canal dock , there is also some "as required " jobs on the roster where you are literally "as required " .
    The A link is only mainline passenger jobs to all stations from Heuston
    Drivers know what they are doing for the next year including which days they are resting as long as the roster does not change , which doesn't happen very often

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Thanks for the reply...

I applied for it this year. And have been told i am on the panel. I just wanted to know what the hours are like.

Really hoping to hear from Irish Rail for a start date.

If you've applied for and are on a train driver panel then you are already working in Irish Rail. You could do worse then to ask your driver colleagues :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Political Wall Map

Im in Dublin Bus as a mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Im in Dublin Bus as a mechanic.

Sorry, I forgot that all three CIE companies can apply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Regarding breaks, they may be rostered breaks but if the service is running late or a major takedown occurs forget about them.

You make it sound so much worse than it is, you break is sitting in the tailback, not as if you are losing your rest time.

I am sure plenty of drivers who for example were delayed 2 hours and had a return working wold rather get home as quick as possible instead of restoring for another 30-40 minute break finish work even lather, no?

Advertisement