Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan leaf problem

• 16-03-2017 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey everyone, our 142 leaf 24kw 6.6 has developed a strange problem last two days.

When plugged into home charger the two fans start running , fans behind on board charger, also the same when turned on while driving.

It's sounds exactly the way your typical petrol/ diesel car would when radiator overheats and fans turn on to cool it down. There are no lights on dash or anything else wrong. Chargers normal as well.

It's plugged in now outside with fans spinning , as if it's trying to cool it down. Coolant is normal level.

Anyone come across this?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

What temp is the battery at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭nu_90

4 bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sounds like it is heating the cabin. Is it blowing hot air into the cabin?

Try turning off the whole heating/AC via the on/off button and see if it stops the fans?

Also check if you have a timer set incorrectly which has it set to heat the cabin, which would cause it to turn on when plugged in.

Let us know how that goes.

Cabin controls all work fine. Iv turned it off and you can still hear the two fans spinning , same spinning while plugged in and driving.

Timers are not set , all off.

Thinking of disconnecting the 12v car battery and hooking it back up after few mins , would that do a reset of things ??? Il check manual in morning about fuses for fans . Cheers

Ok. So this morning i disconnected the 12v battery for about 5 mins then connected it back up. Waited few more mins before starting. Still the same, fans spinning constant.

Nothing was reset on dash eg. Trip computer, radio. Might not have been long enough disconnected.

Anyways i looked for fuses for rad/fans. And just to the left of battery there is a fuse box with fuse for it. Removed it and fans don't come on while charging or driving now.

Gonna do bit more research now on if it's ok to drive like this for a while. I'd say the fuse is only for radiator fan so il keep it in glovebox box for now.

Sounds like an electric car again now anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Maybe a stuck thermostat?

Driving it without the fuse could obviously damage something else since the fans won't ever come on now even when they are supposed to, it's only a matter of time before something overheats.

I'd be inclined to go to a dealer unless you can figure out the root cause yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

nu_90 wrote: »
    Ok. So this morning i disconnected the 12v battery for about 5 mins then connected it back up. Waited few more mins before starting. Still the same, fans spinning constant.

Nothing was reset on dash eg. Trip computer, radio. Might not have been long enough disconnected.

Anyways i looked for fuses for rad/fans. And just to the left of battery there is a fuse box with fuse for it. Removed it and fans don't come on while charging or driving now.

Gonna do bit more research now on if it's ok to drive like this for a while. I'd say the fuse is only for radiator fan so il keep it in glovebox box for now.

Sounds like an electric car again now anyways

I would put back the fuse and live with the noise, better than possibly bricking something.
    Also the fans, I suspect are connected to the heat pump
    I maybe, and am glad to be, wrong about this.

My uneducated guess is that the stat is gone, stuck in the closed position, or some line of code in the CPU thinks it is so.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Ya. Thinking the same myself , so fuse back in for now.
    Also. I found relay switch for fan far left side of engine bay. Removed it and plugged it back in. Still the same.

Off to dealer tomorrow so. Il come back with answers for everyone when it's fixed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

It would be comon protection protocol to default to the ON position if some part of the circuits condition cannot be determined. Which in this case would suggest a temperature reading may not be getting to the program. Check all connections are OK. Has any work been done on the car recently? if so then that is the first area I would check, mainly for disturbed connectors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

My leaf 24kw has an entry in the service book from the owner before me, of this problem and it being fixed under warranty by nissan. The thermostat was stuck closed and needed replacing. (there's even an entry showing the reg plate of the loaner vehicle given during the repair!)

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    My leaf 24kw has an entry in the service book from the owner before me, of this problem and it being fixed under warranty by nissan. The thermostat was stuck closed and needed replacing. (there's even an entry showing the reg plate of the loaner vehicle given during the repair!)

Wow cheers for that info ELM327 . that sounds about right so with what others are saying. Il let dealer know this as well. Thanks

Just to finish off this thread. Car was brought into dealer and they replaced the "" coolant temperature sensor/ switch "" they said.

I Dident get to collect it so that is what was said to be issue.

May not have been thermostat stuck so.
    Car running and charging perfect now anyways.
    Done under warranty

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thanks for the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

nu_90 wrote: »
    Just to finish off this thread. Car was brought into dealer and they replaced the "" coolant temperature sensor/ switch "" they said.

I Dident get to collect it so that is what was said to be issue.

May not have been thermostat stuck so.
    Car running and charging perfect now anyways.
    Done under warranty

Good stuff!

In passing I would say its the same issue as the 'stat being stuck closed, perhaps different wording but "coolant temperature sensor" is three words for a 'stat:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Traditionally a "thermostat" was a mechanical device to restrict coolant flow in water-cooled ICEs, and there would be separate "temperature sensors" to control the fans (which I guess are technically some sort of electronic thermostat) - I guess that's where the terminology comes from.

Advertisement