Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Top-Up

• 16-03-2017 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hi I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on Mortgage Top-Ups. I have a house in negative equity which which is a rental property. We are living in our family home which is almost 40yrs old & in need of quite a lot of work: new kitchen, new plumbing & extension. Would AIB grant us a top-up loan on our rental property for this? We have tried to get a negative equity trade up mortgage but have been turned down. Can anyone give me advice or suggestions on what we can do.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

So you have a buy to rent property that's in negative equity that you want to remortgage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Flynn17

It is a rental property but mortgage on it is not a buy to let mortgage. The home was originally our family home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,345 ✭✭✭phormium

You will not be able to top up the mortgage on a house in negative equity as there is no surplus equity to secure the extra lending on.

What's the story with the house you are trying to renovate? Is there a mortgage on that too, is it in negative equity as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

You need to apply for a mortgage on your private dwelling house for the home improvements.

Advertisement