Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any record collectors? Here's a warning.

• 17-03-2017 5:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭

Years ago I bought loads of records in a secondhand shop. The shop owner put the more expensive records in these really heavy PVC dust covers. I bought at least 100 records in these covers. I just looked through my record collection and was shocked to discover that almost every one of these covers had 'bubbled'. I removed them all which took a lot of work as they were actually stuck to the record covers. No damage was done though, at least not to the covers, I still have to play the actual records. Actually one cover was damaged. My copy of Abbey Road which I bought brand new was stuck to the PVC extremely badly in one corner and the colour has faded.

I'd advise anyone who has records in these sleeves to check for any damage, especially if you have records in a box you haven't played in over a year.

Here's a picture of one of the covers. It looked even worse when the record was in it.

412051.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Hope your LP's are OK. :)

I've been collecting records since the late 60's. IMO you can't beat the old traditional inner sleeve. I usually insert the open end of the inner sleeve to the side of the outer one, when storing my LP's.

Thanks for the heads up though...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

These are the outer dust jackets so thankfully they didn't come in contact with the actual records. They were stuck so tightly to the covers though I thought they were going to rip them apart. I've played one of the records and it played perfectly. I think I had a lucky escape. If I had left them any longer they could have done serious damage. I have a few rare(ish) records I paid more than €20 for so I almost vomited when I saw the state of the dust jackets.

Thankfully Muddy Waters doesn't sound muddy.

412108.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

The best outer covers for records are ploythene ones, any records I buy in PVC sleeves get swapped straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

you are lucky they are still playable, I, unfirtunately have not been as fortunate :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Is this a chemical properties of the sleeve thing or was there some heat exposure?

• Advertisement
Advertisement