Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working alone at weekends

Options
  • 17-03-2017 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

I work in a medium sized office, 40 to 50 people in our department during the week. I have been doing overtime once or twice a month to try and meet goals as this is our busy period. There was nobody in the building the last two times i worked (Saturday afternoon from 12 to 5) and im wondering are there any specific health and safety laws/requirements about working alone?

I could be victim of burglary if someone broke into the building. Im a bit on edge even walking to our kitchen to get a coffee. Maybe there are no such laws?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

If working alone is a requirement, your company should have a lone working policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It all comes down to risk assessment.

Is it a dangerous area? Does the building get broken into regularly? How do the first people who arrive at work during the week approach the building to unlock it - can you do the same? Is the building locked so randoms can't just wander in while you're there? If you heard someone breaking in, is there an alternative exit you could use to leave the building without running into them? Can you evacuate yourself from the building in the case of fire?

In most offices, once the risks are looked at, lone-working is judged to be ok. Yes, you might have a medical emergency - but you could have the same thing alone at home too, so it's not work-specific. I once had to enforce a no-weekend-working policy for a guy who used a wheelchair, so couldn't evacuate: he wasn't that thrilled about it but eventually had to agree. I've also worked in places with a permanent security guard who you reported to when coming and going, and places with periodic security-guard visits - both larger buildings.

Also, if the alternative is to work at home on non-ergonomic equipment, the office might be considered safer overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

It all comes down to risk assessment.

Is it a dangerous area? Does the building get broken into regularly? How do the first people who arrive at work during the week approach the building to unlock it - can you do the same? Is the building locked so randoms can't just wander in while you're there? If you heard someone breaking in, is there an alternative exit you could use to leave the building without running into them? Can you evacuate yourself from the building in the case of fire?

In most offices, once the risks are looked at, lone-working is judged to be ok. Yes, you might have a medical emergency - but you could have the same thing alone at home too, so it's not work-specific. I once had to enforce a no-weekend-working policy for a guy who used a wheelchair, so couldn't evacuate: he wasn't that thrilled about it but eventually had to agree. I've also worked in places with a permanent security guard who you reported to when coming and going, and places with periodic security-guard visits - both larger buildings.

Also, if the alternative is to work at home on non-ergonomic equipment, the office might be considered safer overall.

We have security Monday to Friday up to 9pm, then place is locked up. Not many people come in the weekends, sometimes the cleaners come in for an hour or two Saturday morning and after that the odd worker. We had a break in 2 yrs ago where some people broke in and robbed some computers. We have a sign saying 24hr CCTV up since then but it isn't really monitored, just a deterrent. Ive been at my desk once or twice on Saturday when the phone has rang, giving me a big fright. Turns out someone upstairs in doc control can see when I'm in but theres no log of people in/people out.

When I brought it up to my boss she just said "Sure lookat anything could happen at anytime" and that was that. The employee entrance is swipe card so I quickly dash in whilst looking around, bit dramatic I know but the building is in the middle of a large, usually empty on weekends, industrial lot. I thought there may be specific laws for working alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

"Ive been at my desk once or twice on Saturday when the phone has rang, giving me a big fright."

Really, are you very nervous by disposition?

Have you suffered some trauma, that working on your own is exacerbating?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

The HSA have a page on it.

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Hazards/Lone_Workers/

If there is security on site during the week maybe you would feel better just working a few extra hours during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

"Ive been at my desk once or twice on Saturday when the phone has rang, giving me a big fright."

Really, are you very nervous by disposition?

Have you suffered some trauma, that working on your own is exacerbating?

NO trauma. DId you read the post? I presumed I was on my own, therefore not expecting any calls, and because there is no official log of people in and out I didn't know there was someone upstairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

NO trauma. DId you read the post? I presumed I was on my own, therefore not expecting any calls, and because there is no official log of people in and out I didn't know there was someone upstairs.

Yeah, I read it. Phones ringing don't phase me. I sometimes work alone at the weekend.

Advertisement