Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CP install price gouging

• 17-03-2017 10:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

I have a Rolec CP waiting for installation. It's a very simple install with the CP being a run of about 8m of cable in through an enclosed side entrance.

A man my Dad knows was to install it, but it turns out he is not RECI, so ruled him out at the 11th hour. A friend of my Sister has someone lined up, but he's not available for a couple of weeks and I am wanting the install done sooner. I rang a local sparks yesterday and emailed the details and he came back with a quote of almost €900 !!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the high end cost was up to €1,000 with the sparks supplying the equipment. So I was expecting a price of less than half what that quote was.

Can anyone recommend a sparks in Dublin who doesn't consider a CP as some sort of golden hour job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

PM. I have a lad who did mine. He is Laois, but might be interested to do yours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

goz83 wrote: »
    I have a Rolec CP waiting for installation. It's a very simple install with the CP being a run of about 8m of cable in through an enclosed side entrance.

A man my Dad knows was to install it, but it turns out he is not RECI, so ruled him out at the 11th hour. A friend of my Sister has someone lined up, but he's not available for a couple of weeks and I am wanting the install done sooner. I rang a local sparks yesterday and emailed the details and he came back with a quote of almost €900 !!! Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the high end cost was up to €1,000 with the sparks supplying the equipment. So I was expecting a price of less than half what that quote was.

Can anyone recommend a sparks in Dublin who doesn't consider a CP as some sort of golden hour job?

Just a query , why are you requiring reci? Reci is required for major electrical works. Extending a charging point from a mains board with correct MCB isn't major works it might as well be a spur....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The €900 must have been to include the CP as well! The work is basically to install an outdoor socket. He couldnt possibly charge €900 for that.

If you supply the CP and the spark supplies the cable and RCBO it shouldnt cost much more than €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

listermint wrote: »
    Just a query , why are you requiring reci? Reci is required for major electrical works. Extending a charging point from a mains board with correct MCB isn't major works it might as well be a spur....

I read this differently, let me check.

Getting some air time here, started by the OP:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057714522

regs here:
    http://www.cer.ie/docs/000161/cer13147-restricted-electrical-works-decision-paper.pdf

For reference, here is the rig in question
    https://evonestop.co.uk/shop/wallpods-ev/wallpodev-multimode-6amp-j1772-5m-tethered-lead-type-1/

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Where are you based Goz?
    I'll ask my sparks today if you want.

When I told him during the week about doing mine, he didn't flinch when I said I needed cable capable of 32a.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

peposhi wrote: »
    PM. I have a lad who did mine. He is Laois, but might be interested to do yours.

Super. I may get that when I collect the mats today.

Calahonda52 linked my other thread already. Seems it does need to be a RECI install.
    KCross wrote: »
    The €900 must have been to include the CP as well! The work is basically to install an outdoor socket. He couldnt possibly charge €900 for that.

If you supply the CP and the spark supplies the cable and RCBO it shouldnt cost much more than €200.

I sent the very same question in my reply....but I told him in my email I would supply the CP. My CP has a built in RCBO. The only extra I need is the priority switch afaik.

kceire wrote: »
    Where are you based Goz?
    I'll ask my sparks today if you want.

When I told him during the week about doing mine, he didn't flinch when I said I needed cable capable of 32a.

I'm in D13. Happy to give the work to someone who isn't creaming it.

Calahonda52 linked my other thread already. Seems it does need to be a RECI install.

This is an interesting issue as some of the RECs over in the elec forum say they would need to rip it all out and start again, which raises the problem where, say as part of a future proofing wiring reno, you bury say 6 sq or 10 sq SWA and leave the tails at the CU and the CP location.

It is a question for me at the mo as when the ESB fitted the Dual meter, the original 1968 install is missing an earth from the CU to the ESB main fuse which essentially provides an earth back via the ESB neutral, and supplements the earth bar.
    So I have a safety letter, needs a REC to fit the earth, so is some dude going to suggest he rips out all my wiring and start from scratch before he can issue a cert for a 250 mm of 10 sq earth wire.

I agree it needs a REC because the RCBO needs to be on the CU or adjacent to it on a sub distribution board so the cover needs taking off the CU....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I got a price yesterday of 330 plus VAT for 16 amp

Maybe 50 quid extra is 32 amp

Seems a bit high

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I got a price yesterday of 330 plus VAT for 16 amp

Maybe 50 quid extra is 32 amp

Seems a bit high
    Two or more questions if I may.
    What currency is the 330, since you mention quid?
    Secondly, what is make to which you are referring to and does this include supply and install or is it install only or buy only?

Am I missing something here?

My Esb meter is in my gable wall in my side entrance.
    My sparks connects the charge point to this meter yeah? Not back to the internal fuse board within the house?

I can then charge in front garden.

• Advertisement

Two or more questions if I may.
    What currency is the 330, since you mention quid?
    Secondly, what is make to which you are referring to and does this include supply and install or is it install only or buy only?

Currency is the mighty euro

This is just install. I am getting the charge point with car.

My sparks connects the charge point to this meter yeah? Not back to the internal fuse board within the house?

This is what I want to do...I posted on another thread

If I could put charge point directly above the meter box it would be perfect

Currency is the mighty euro

This is just install. I am getting the charge point with car.

330 seems expensive to install.
    The problem here is that sparks are starting to realise that EV revolution is about to begin and they are basing their prices from what the contractors charge the Esb to do it in my opinion.

At the end of the day, it's a glorified outdoor socket they are installing.

Missing plenty:D:D

The CU [aka internal fuse board] is fed by a [most likely] 16Sq phase and return from the meter.
    It may have an earth, 10 sq, as well, as discussed before

The CU has a fused breaker on the phase, 63A
    the rest of the house comes from the load side of this breaker.

The charge point needs supply from the CU, on the load side of the 63A fuse.
    Have you a garage or is it all just hidden from the meter box to the CU.

The answer to this question may provide other opportunities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think he has to come through your fuse board. But I'm not a sparks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well reci electricians are going to tell you that you need reci electricians.

But what are the facts about it .

That's the nuts of the argument.

As indicated above it's an outdoor socket with higher rating requirements but that's all it is.

What I would really like is https://evonestop.co.uk/shop/wallpods-ev/wallpodev-multimode-iec62196-5m-tethered-lead-type-2-16amp/

Simple fact I would have outside plug included......

As indicated above it's an outdoor socket with higher rating requirements but that's all it is.

As posted before:

http://www.cer.ie/docs/000161/cer13147-restricted-electrical-works-decision-paper.pdf

The issue is that the supply must come from the CU or a sub distribution board with a RCBO so it just can't be spiced into a lighting circuit.

The RCBO can be in the CP but will require a breaker on the board so same difference, cover needs taking off the CU hence in breach of the regs

What I would really like is https://evonestop.co.uk/shop/wallpods-ev/wallpodev-multimode-iec62196-5m-tethered-lead-type-2-16amp/

Simple fact I would have outside plug included......

That's the one I ordered (the 32A version). It's a big chunky thing.

That's the one I ordered (the 32A version). It's a big chunky thing.

Looks a great job alright

I would go 32 amp as well. I am getting a charger bundled with car, it is 16 amp so not sure if I should just go 32 amp now and do it once and right

• Advertisement

Looks a great job alright

I would go 32 amp as well. I am getting a charger bundled with car, it is 16 amp so not sure if I should just go 32 amp now and do it once and right

You said it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The situation is simple , a 16A unit " could be " fed from a spur , but a 32A is definitely direct from the DB/CU . Any mods of whatever nature to the CU requires a RECI sparks

just ask the sparks to quote to fit a 32A commando socket outside at the appropriate position protected by the appropriate RCBO
    ( can't remember the rcbo type )

You can then fit the connector yourself and mount the EVSE. ( or come along with the unit and say " you wouldn't mind putting a plug on that -thanks)

Avoid getting quotes for " ejectric car charging installs " this results is ca-Ching sounds

Sparks are hearing " EV charging " and quoting high cause most haven't a clue what you are talking about and are covering themselves.

You can cut the price further by installing the EVSE and running the cable , you just need a RECI to do the board mods.

BoatMad wrote: »
    The situation is simple , a 16A unit " could be " fed from a spur , but a 32A is definitely direct from the DB/CU . Any mods of whatever nature to the CU requires a RECI sparks

just ask the sparks to quote to fit a 32A commando socket outside at the appropriate position protected by the appropriate RCBO
    ( can't remember the rcbo type )

You can then fit the connector yourself and mount the EVSE. ( or come along with the unit and say " you wouldn't mind putting a plug on that -thanks)

Avoid getting quotes for " ejectric car charging installs " this results is ca-Ching sounds

Sparks are hearing " EV charging " and quoting high cause most haven't a clue what you are talking about and are covering themselves.

You can cut the price further by installing the EVSE and running the cable , you just need a RECI to do the board mods.

Pretty much exactly what I was suggesting with regards to a dry install, but it raised a couple of heckles when I said it was a simple job.

Pretty much exactly what I was suggesting with regards to a dry install, but it raised a couple of heckles when I said it was a simple job.

:DYou got away light with heckles, I usual raise hackles:D

Missing plenty:D:D

The CU [aka internal fuse board] is fed by a [most likely] 16Sq phase and return from the meter.
    It may have an earth, 10 sq, as well, as discussed before

The CU has a fused breaker on the phase, 63A
    the rest of the house comes from the load side of this breaker.

The charge point needs supply from the CU, on the load side of the 63A fuse.
    Have you a garage or is it all just hidden from the meter box to the CU.

The answer to this question may provide other opportunities.

This explains more now.
    My fuse board is in the hall in the opposite side of the house to the external ESB meter.

So I have to run a cable from the fuse board to the external point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

just to confirm , any mods that require distribution board access, need a RECI sparks. A 32A " outside plug" will require CU mods

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

Sorry if question is stupid, but are you talking about getting spark who is not contracted by ESB to do the free CP installation when you buy new car? Or all this is about people who bough second hand car?

I'd say if someone finds good reasonable spark which does the job - entire forum will use him.

Mope wrote: »
    Sorry if question is stupid, but are you talking about getting spark who is not contracted by ESB to do the free CP installation when you buy new car? Or all this is about people who bough second hand car?

I'd say if someone finds good reasonable spark which does the job - entire forum will use him.

If that question is for me (the op), then it'a about a second hand car.....so not an esb job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Is RECI not just an association for electricians like the National Taxi Drivers Union is to taxi drivers? ie are RECI members in any way more knowledgeable than other properly qualified electricians?

• Advertisement

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is RECI not just an association for electricians like the National Taxi Drivers Union is to taxi drivers? ie are RECI members in any way more knowledgeable than other properly qualified electricians?

RECI is recognised by CER
    http://www.cer.ie/document-detail/Press-Release-CER-Appoints-RECI-to-Operate-the-Safe-Electric-Scheme/1057/7866

which gives them a big stick
    http://www.safeelectric.ie

Advertisement