Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CP install price gouging

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭KCross

n97 mini wrote: »
    Is RECI not just an association for electricians like the National Taxi Drivers Union is to taxi drivers? ie are RECI members in any way more knowledgeable than other properly qualified electricians?

I'd say the taxi union is a bad analogy.

I'd agree though that a RECI isnt any more knowledgeable than other qualified electricians.

However, using a RECI for certain jobs, AFAIK, is law. Im sure also if your house burned down due to wiring done by a non-RECI would result in the insurance company squirming out of their responsibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

However, using a RECI for certain jobs, AFAIK, is law. Im sure also if your house burned down due to wiring done by a non-RECI would result in the insurance company squirming out of their responsibilities.

not in general , not unless negligence could be established, after all you have insurance for precisely the reason that something might go wrong

BoatMad wrote: »
    not in general , not unless negligence could be established, after all you have insurance for precisely the reason that something might go wrong

Maybe. I just wouldnt trust insurance companies though. A bit like if you tick the box that says you have an alarm and then you get robbed but didnt have the alarm on they can penalise you for that and say you are partly negligent.

Hiring a non-RECI could result in a similar strategy... I am just surmising here. I havent seen it first hand... just a general mistrust of insurance companies.

On the regulation side.... you are not supposed to let a non-RECI at your Consumer unit.... is that law or just best practice?

Maybe. I just wouldnt trust insurance companies though. A bit like if you tick the box that says you have an alarm and then you get robbed but didnt have the alarm on they can penalise you for that and say you are partly negligent.

which is why I specifically tell them I have an alarm , but insure it as if I dont ( the difference was 15 euros !!)

The alarm issue is specifically stated in policies that look for discounts for having an alarm, it not really the same as the issue you're discussing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Law:

from here: http://www.safeelectric.ie/restrictedWorks.pdf

My bolding

CER decision on scope of Restricted Electrical Works2;
    The implementation of this decision will mean that all Controlled Electrical Works3, as currently defined, in a domestic setting can only be carried out by a REC. There will be no legal exemption for the owner/occupier. However, minor electrical work will remain outside the scope of Restricted Electrical Works.
    Restricted Electrical Works will cover:
    1. the installation, commissioning, inspection and testing of a new Electrical Installation which is fixed, fastened or mounted or otherwise secured so that its position does not change and requires connection or re-connection to the distribution network or the transmission network, as the case may be;
    2. the modification, installation or replacement of a Distribution Board including customer tails on either side of the Main Protective Device or of an Electrical Installation in any of the special locations listed in Part 7 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations, as the case may be;
    3. the installation or replacement of one or more circuits in an Electrical Installation, including the installation of one or more additional protective devices for such circuits on a Distribution Board; or
    4. the inspection, testing or certification of, or reporting on, existing Electrical Installations covered by Chapter 62 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations;
    in a Domestic Property.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement

Law:

from here: http://www.safeelectric.ie/restrictedWorks.pdf

My bolding

CER decision on scope of Restricted Electrical Works2;
    The implementation of this decision will mean that all Controlled Electrical Works3, as currently defined, in a domestic setting can only be carried out by a REC. There will be no legal exemption for the owner/occupier. However, minor electrical work will remain outside the scope of Restricted Electrical Works.
    Restricted Electrical Works will cover:
    1. the installation, commissioning, inspection and testing of a new Electrical Installation which is fixed, fastened or mounted or otherwise secured so that its position does not change and requires connection or re-connection to the distribution network or the transmission network, as the case may be;
    2. the modification, installation or replacement of a Distribution Board including customer tails on either side of the Main Protective Device or of an Electrical Installation in any of the special locations listed in Part 7 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations, as the case may be;
    3. the installation or replacement of one or more circuits in an Electrical Installation, including the installation of one or more additional protective devices for such circuits on a Distribution Board; or
    4. the inspection, testing or certification of, or reporting on, existing Electrical Installations covered by Chapter 62 of the National Rules for Electrical Installations;
    in a Domestic Property.

This answers the question for me....
    This paper outlines CER’s decision on the scope of Restricted Electrical Works. This decision will be implemented from 1st October 2013. This will mean that it will be illegal for a non-Registered Electrical Contractor (REC) to carry out most electrical work in domestic premises.

The emphasis was on the domestic market.
    see this other text, again my bolding

The CER has appointed the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI) to operate the Safe Electric Scheme from January 2016 until end of 2022.

What does this mean?
    With effect from 1 January 2016 an electrical contractor wishing to be registered can only register with RECI as a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).
    It is illegal for unregistered electrical contractors to carry out Restricted Electrical Works.
    It is recommended that only RECs undertake Controlled Electrical Works.
    Only RECs may undertake Restricted Electrical Works
    RECs should continue to certify all Controlled and Restricted Electrical Works using a Completion Certificate.
    Requirements for registration are outlined on RECIs website here.
    RECI will use the Safe Electric brand as the customer and REC facing brand from 2016
    All RECs will be required to display the Safe Electric logo on any vehicle that identifies them as an electrical contractor from 2016.
    Safe Electric contacted all RECs regarding the registration process and the purchase of Completion Certificates. All RECs that were previously registered with ECSSA and have not yet registered with Safe Electric are advised to contact Safe Electric as soon as possible to complete the registration process.

The CER is committed to ensuring the transition of RECs to a single body is as seamless as possible and will work closely with RECI and all industry stakeholders to ensure that this is the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

It is illegal for unregistered electrical contractors to carry out Restricted Electrical Works.
    Anyone got a definition of Restricted vs. Controlled?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

My sparks quoted €350 plus VAT for 32A install of home
    Charger that I have supplied.

That's him connecting directly to the ESB meter with an 80A RCM and then a 40A RCBO to the charge point.

kceire wrote: »
    My sparks quoted €350 plus VAT for 32A install of home
    Charger that I have supplied.

That's him connecting directly to the ESB meter with an 80A RCM and then a 40A RCBO to the charge point.

You are paying extra for that 80A switch.

You have to weigh the cost of that against the cost of the longer cable and labour back to the main CU.

Did he quote you at all for a run back to the main CU?
    Maybe run the cable yourself and let him do the rest. I dont think he could charge you 350 then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

KCross wrote: »
    You are paying extra for that 80A switch.

You have to weigh the cost of that against the cost of the longer cable and labour back to the main CU.

Did he quote you at all for a run back to the main CU?
    Maybe run the cable yourself and let him do the rest. I dont think he could charge you 350 then.

He didn't quite to the CU as it would be impossible in my situation without opening up internal finishes.

That's the price to the public that he told me to tell another person that asked for a quote.

When I'm doing mine, it will be while
    I'm extending the front of the house in June so I'll run the cable from the CH to the side entrance then.

I just hope i can make it till June on the public/work/granny cables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Will be moving the meter box as its existing position will be internal to the house due to new wall going up.

ESB will have to commission the move , is there anything worthwhile doing at this point to future proof an EV as will be seriously considering on next car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

listermint wrote: »
    Will be moving the meter box as its existing position will be internal to the house due to new wall going up.

ESB will have to commission the move , is there anything worthwhile doing at this point to future proof an EV as will be seriously considering on next car.

Have a 32A external socket put in place (or just the wiring for it) where you would have a Charge Point installed. If you have an electric shower, you might need a priority switch installed. That should keep you future proofed.

The emphasis was on the domestic market.
    see this other text, again my bolding

The CER has appointed the Register of Electrical Contractors of Ireland (RECI) to operate the Safe Electric Scheme from January 2016 until end of 2022.

What does this mean?
    With effect from 1 January 2016 an electrical contractor wishing to be registered can only register with RECI as a Registered Electrical Contractor (REC).
    Only RECs may undertake Restricted Electrical Works
    RECs should continue to certify all Controlled and Restricted Electrical Works using a Completion Certificate.
    Requirements for registration are outlined on RECIs website here.
    RECI will use the Safe Electric brand as the customer and REC facing brand from 2016
    All RECs will be required to display the Safe Electric logo on any vehicle that identifies them as an electrical contractor from 2016.
    Safe Electric contacted all RECs regarding the registration process and the purchase of Completion Certificates. All RECs that were previously registered with ECSSA and have not yet registered with Safe Electric are advised to contact Safe Electric as soon as possible to complete the registration process.

The CER is committed to ensuring the transition of RECs to a single body is as seamless as possible and will work closely with RECI and all industry stakeholders to ensure that this is the case.

Interesting , the only legal sanction in the legislation is for anyone that is not RECI then representing themselves as RECI or certifying the installation as REI approved. Thee is actual no sanction for just doing the work !!!

BoatMad wrote: »
    Interesting , the only legal sanction in the legislation is for anyone that is not RECI then representing themselves as RECI or certifying the installation as REI approved. Thee is actual no sanction for just doing the work !!!

RECI also succeeded in shafting the ECTI [ http://www.etci.ie/index.php ]

who are going out of business on 30th.
    The Tech Spec work is now being done by NSAI so I can see how this is going to end up: :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,743 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Lister, I am not au fait, tho it has been discussed on threads, to up the fuse on the ESB side, at the same time as moving the meter.

Advertisement