Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Duffy Motorrad - 4 day tyre change

• 17-03-2017 11:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭

Picture this, you rock up to a big shiny show room in Finglas to see the latest and greatest bikes Der Fatherland has to offer and are promised the sun moon and stars when handing over 40k of your hard earned.

The reality is quite quite different..... My self and my missus spent the guts of 40 grand this time last year on two bikes. A 1200GS Adventure and a F800 Adventure. All singing all dancing. Fast forward a couple of months and she decides she wants an R Nine T. Grand they said and made the whole process of test riding bikes and trading the old one back in seamless. As they would do when you're giving them money.

Now here's the fun part. Last weekend she picked up a self tapping screw on the front tyre. Called the BMW recovery service which is free with your warranty. Also free is a replacement bike while yours is being fixed, there's none available strangely (usually loads for test drives). The bike was picked up on Monday evening and she was offered a hire car to tide her over.

We got to the rental location and they refused to give her the car because guess what ??? She had a bike insurance policy which didn't cover a car. This was all arranged by BMW customer service here in Dublin.

The bike left our house and with Car-Tow on Monday and actually went missing for 22 hours until it arrived in the shop. The recovery company actually said they can't find it.

The shop fitted a new tyre Tuesday evening and it was another 24 hours before it was returned with Car-Tow due to us not being at home for the day. The bike turns up and has a different tyre on the front than what was ordered. Seemingly a model that's used on a S1000XR.

Herself takes the bike down to Cotters the next day after work and got the right one which tool under 30 minutes. The wrong replacement was returned to Joe Duffys to a shirking service manager.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ahhhh Joe Duffy's ~ ok, I guess you can imagine the smug look on my face right now!.

[I hate to say I told you so, but I....]

I've also posted many times that I don't think there's a single time I left my bike in with them which I didn't have to return it to have work fixed to my satisfaction again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Ahhhh Joe Duffy's ~ ok, I guess you can imagine the smug look on my face right now!.

[I hate to say I told you so, but I....]

I've also posted many times that I don't think there's a single time I left my bike in with them which I didn't have to return it to have work fixed to my satisfaction again.

Ok ok , you can tell me you told me so now

D3V!L wrote: »
    Ok ok , you can tell me you told me so now

I'll wait until you're in the Gypsy Rose again and I have a live audience :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

If I was buying a BMW in this country I would be straight down to Kearys in Cork.....and the ride home would be bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

D3V!L wrote: »
    Picture this, you rock up to a big shiny show room in Finglas to see the latest and greatest bikes Der Fatherland has to offer and are promised the sun moon and stars when handing over 40k of your hard earned.

The reality is quite quite different..... My self and my missus spent the guts of 40 grand this time last year on two bikes. A 1200GS Adventure and a F800 Adventure. All singing all dancing. Fast forward a couple of months and she decides she wants an R Nine T. Grand they said and made the whole process of test riding bikes and trading the old one back in seamless. As they would do when you're giving them money.

Now here's the fun part. Last weekend she picked up a self tapping screw on the front tyre. Called the BMW recovery service which is free with your warranty. Also free is a replacement bike while yours is being fixed, there's none available strangely (usually loads for test drives). The bike was picked up on Monday evening and she was offered a hire car to tide her over.

We got to the rental location and they refused to give her the car because guess what ??? She had a bike insurance policy which didn't cover a car. This was all arranged by BMW customer service here in Dublin.

The bike left our house and with Car-Tow on Monday and actually went missing for 22 hours until it arrived in the shop. The recovery company actually said they can't find it.

The shop fitted a new tyre Tuesday evening and it was another 24 hours before it was returned with Car-Tow due to us not being at home for the day. The bike turns up and has a different tyre on the front than what was ordered. Seemingly a model that's used on a S1000XR.

Herself takes the bike down to Cotters the next day after work and got the right one which tool under 30 minutes. The wrong replacement was returned to Joe Duffys to a shirking service manager.

Yeah but in fairness though, that does sound like they are improving!!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I must be lucky so.
    Cause Joe Duffy have been nice and quick with my bike and working on it.
    Even got a replacement bike of them too.

But sure look every now and again,all companies and shops will have glitches.

Did you get your money back for returning the tyre to JDM?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Recently a friend purchased a new 1200GS from Joe Duffy. Sad to say he ignored the advise on here about Duff Motorrad On the way home to Cork he discovered that the speedo was in MPH. No problem he thought as he can surely change it . Arrived home and checked the handbook. No instructions to change it to KPH. Contacted Joe Duffy and was informed that the bike is MPH and cannot be changed. and refused to help further as apparently he bought the bike as seen. He had sat on the bike in the showroom but did not drive or turn it on. He contacted BMW Ireland and in fairness to them they have .
    My advise on Joe Duffy is believe what you read here. As to my local Keary's . Unless they have changed big time, STAY AWAY. It is not so long ago that they had no dedicated motorcycle mechanic and the car mechanics were doubling their duties. I cannot say if this situation has improved,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Riva10 wrote: »
    Recently a friend purchased a new 1200GS from Joe Duffy. Sad to say he ignored the advise on here about Duff Motorrad On the way home to Cork he discovered that the speedo was in MPH. No problem he thought as he can surely change it . Arrived home and checked the handbook. No instructions to change it to KPH. Contacted Joe Duffy and was informed that the bike is MPH and cannot be changed. and refused to help further as apparently he bought the bike as seen. He had sat on the bike in the showroom but did not drive or turn it on. He contacted BMW Ireland and in fairness to them they have .
    My advise on Joe Duffy is believe what you read here. As to my local Keary's . Unless they have changed big time, STAY AWAY. It is not so long ago that they had no dedicated motorcycle mechanic and the car mechanics were doubling their duties. I cannot say if this situation has improved,

Weird, they changed mine (k1300r) from miles to km on the same day within 10 minutes. I would assume this would also be possible on newer GSs.

Never had a problem with them, just recently did the service and had no problems (so far). But I will keep an eye out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Bohrio wrote: »
    Weird, they changed mine (k1300r) from miles to km on the same day within 10 minutes. I would assume this would also be possible on newer GSs.

Never had a problem with them, just recently did the service and had no problems (so far). But I will keep an eye out!

Only thing I can think of is my friend ordered the low frame version, so possible it was an English import (remember The Stirling Edition) and as such may not easily be changed back. He has since had the speedo unit changed so it was not just an electronics issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Lads, I've an 06 650 GS I've had from new from JD's.

That bike I use as a commuter and racked up over 100km on it. The servicing has been costly and in fairness some of the costs have been due to my own neglect.

However, over a ten year period I felt I was always properly looked after and always had use of a loan bike when necessary.

Can't say I've had a bad experience. Just saying.

• Advertisement

I still prefer using mph:o

Riva10 wrote: »
    Only thing I can think of is my friend ordered the low frame version, so possible it was an English import (remember The Stirling Edition) and as such may not easily be changed back. He has since had the speedo unit changed so it was not just an electronics issue.

Mine was a UK import, brought it from the UK after summer. But you are correct, I dont feel there were no differences between mine and any other irish model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blade1 wrote: »
    I still prefer using mph:o

You go faster in metric ;)

Del2005 wrote: »
    You go faster in metric ;)

Lies!!!
    Do 100 in mph and do 100 in kph.
    Which one are you going faster??:p:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

blade1 wrote: »
    Lies!!!
    Do 100 in mph and do 100 in kph.
    Which one are you going faster??:p:pac:

While your plodding along at 100mph I'm doing 160kph

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, I've recently bought a k1300s. It's a UK import, clocks are in miles. Can it be changed to km? It's not really an issue for me but if it can be done relatively cheaply I might change it. Thanks.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, I've recently bought a k1300s. It's a UK import, clocks are in miles. Can it be changed to km? It's not really an issue for me but if it can be done relatively cheaply I might change it. Thanks.

I did this on my k1300r and I think they didnt charge me anything. Maybe 10 euro or so. Took them a few minutes but you might want to ring before hand.

Just to make it clear I am referring to the odometer and on board computer not the speedometer as such, mine has both mph and kph.

Over a four year period I've only had one, ONE positive experience with JD Motorrad.

Tbh I think most of the negativity in dealing with them is one upstairs who I spoke to the OP about last night.

That said almost each and every time I had work done by them the bike had to be returned for something to be rectified.

But said person upstairs, how I never dragged him across his desk I don't know.

Oh, I often joke that I loved the boxer engine and than if the GS was made by a Japanese company I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Its a lovely engine, I actually miss it. But damn BMW throw a saddle onto your back and ride you to hell when it comes to costs of parts and repair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Stay away from Kearys too. Very incompetent mechanics in my experience.

And I can never trust those that have positive things to say about a BMW main dealer. If you are the type that spends €180 per hour labour you are probably not knowledgeable enough to pick up on their poor workmanship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

The ones defending JDM are the ones that have no problem spending thousands every week on their bikes. And we all know what JDM cares about the most, the ones giving them massive amounts of coin. No way will they risk losing such money machines so they will be provided with a proper service due to the amount of cash they spend in there while the rest of us suffer. I only had 1 dealing with JDM and it was enough to prevent me from going back there again. Now I thought I was the only one but looks like many others experienced the same problems.

The ones defending JDM are the ones that have no problem spending thousands every week on their bikes. And we all know what JDM cares about the most, the ones giving them massive amounts of coin. No way will they risk losing such money machines so they will be provided with a proper service due to the amount of cash they spend in there while the rest of us suffer. I only had 1 dealing with JDM and it was enough to prevent me from going back there again. Now I thought I was the only one but looks like many others experienced the same problems.

AS IS USUAL you have no clue what the hell you are talking about.

You didnt deal with the Motorad Department so dont be talking through your ar%e.

You come on to this forum and all you do is stir up crap and cause fights.

Go and do something usefull like riding your bike and learn about road conditions.

Ive had it with you and all the crap and rubbish you post here.

You really need to wind your neck in and cop on here on this forum.
    Stop ruining threads and trying to create arguements with other bikers to suit some sort of agenda you have.Several threads you have done this on now.

What was the problem and what did they do?

Oh and yeah for the record,I was in the Motorrad department earlier on today,on the R1,got parts off them.Then went to Cotters,got parts of them too,and then into Bikeworld.
    My S1000rr is in Mototuning being mapped and dynoed at this very moment.
    And the 996 is in my garage with the wheels and bodywork off being tuned up and made better.

So I get around on the bikes,and dont just defend Joe Duffy Motorrad,I speak from my personal experience with them and with all other bike shops.
    I do alot of work on my own bikes too,so its not about spending thousands each week on my bikes.Motorrad actually did some extra work on my bike,at no extra cost,because I get on well with everyone up there and they dont ripp me off either.Even when it comes to certain service parts,they are actually cheaper than them being got in the UK or Germany by myself.And with JD Motorrad they come in within 2 days too,get a text to say the parts are ready for collection.

So as is usual Live65a846d0ee,you have no clue what the hell you are talking about.TYPICAL.:rolleyes:

Oh, I often joke that I loved the boxer engine and than if the GS was made by a Japanese company I'd buy one in a heart beat.

Its a lovely engine, I actually miss it. But damn BMW throw a saddle onto your back and ride you to hell when it comes to costs of parts and repair.

Its gone from Bikeworld.;)

Its gone from Bikeworld.;)

I know, it was sold last week.

I know, it was sold last week.

You bought it back??:D

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    Stay away from Kearys too. Very incompetent mechanics in my experience.

And I can never trust those that have positive things to say about a BMW main dealer. If you are the type that spends €180 per hour labour you are probably not knowledgeable enough to pick up on their poor workmanship.

Thats gas.
    Arent you the man who was complaining here a few months back about being charged 20 euro by Cotters to fit a tyre you bought off the internet.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Thats gas.
    Arent you the man who was complaining here a few months back about being charged 20 euro by Cotters to fit a tyre you bought off the internet.:pac:

Haha I love your type stewy, looking up post history because you have F all arguments. But you are skewing what I said...I complained about the stinking attitude, and went on to say I don't blame them for charging 20 quid..

More power to you if you can afford to pay JD's. Money > Sense.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement