Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Duffy Motorrad - 4 day tyre change

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

My type?????

Yeah I am certain type indeed,more so than your good self.
    Sure you never even bothered to see if Cotters would have price matched the tyres for you,which they probably would have done.But then you were complaining about it.

I pop in to them from time to time to get parts as I like to modify my machines,and sometimes the lads in the Motorrad section will sort me out with a quick health check on the OBD diagnostic scanner for free.
    They sorted out the "lamp code" when I changed over to flush mount LED lights on the front of the S1000rr.
    Same when I went from a 190 section rear tyre up to a 200 section rear tyre,they sorted out the traction control and abs systems to suit the bigger tyre,for free.

Eh where is my S1000rr now?
    Its in with Gary in Mototuning being mapped and dynoed.We aiming for north of 200bhp on my machine with some more fettling.

I use alot of different companies and bike shops for all my bikes.:)
    Oh and I am sensible too,I know what to look for,and where to get it.;)

Just so happens that Joe Duffy Motorrad give me a good deal on certain parts and these parts are in most cases cheaper for me,than it would be if were to get them in from UK or Germany myself.Motorrad get them in quicker too.

Oh and I work on my own bikes too,if you care to look back over the many posts and pictures I have here on this forum.;)

I must reiterate that I complained about the attitude in Cotters. I have been in Cotters many times, prices are good, no issue with them. That single experience is not relevant to this topic - you brought it up.

Cool...its good that you take the time to give balance to the experiences people have had with them. My experiences with BMW (not JD) have been woeful. I can't get value for money from them. And you may have to accept that you get better service due to the money you hand over through the years. Fair enough.

Why don't you quote and attack the mod Makikomi for his criticism of BMW?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

GerryDerpy wrote: »
    I must reiterate that I complained about the attitude in Cotters. I have been in Cotters many times, prices are good, no issue with them. That single experience is not relevant to this topic - you brought it up.

Cool...its good that you take the time to give balance to the experiences people have had with them. My experiences with BMW (not JD) have been woeful. I can't get value for money from them. And you may have to accept that you get better service due to the money you hand over through the years. Fair enough.

Why don't you quote and attack the mod Makikomi for his criticism of BMW?

Well Im sure Cotters were a tad annoyed that you rock up with an internet tyre looking for it to be fitted.

They are trying to run a business at the end of the day.
    And they would have price matched you,if you had bothered to ask.

Because unlike you he has had in person dealings with Joe Duffy Motorrad and I know what hes been through.

Thats his personal experience....and Ive spoken to him in person about it too.I know his bike too.

You havent had personal experience with Joe Duffy Motorrad.
    You are just jumping on the band wagon and trying to say that because I had good experience with them,that I know nothing or dont know bad workmanship.

I know my bikes and I can say that so far Joe Duffy Motorrad have done good by my bike,given the amount of stuff I had done to it and some of the issues in getting the electronices to work with certain items I put on the bike.

Oh and I know nothing about Kearys in Cork,so I will not say a word about them.
    Ive no personal experience with that BMW dealership.That was be unfair and wrong to do so.

Well Im sure Cotters were a tad annoyed that you rock up with an internet tyre looking for it to be fitted.

They are trying to run a business at the end of the day.
    And they would have price matched you,if you had bothered to ask.

So why not just tell me they won't fit it? Grand. No problem. I had the tyre in my hand, no point asking for a price match. For the record I bought my most recent tyre off them.
    Because unlike you he has had in person dealings with Joe Duffy Motorrad and I know what hes been through.

Thats his personal experience....and Ive spoken to him in person about it too.I know his bike too.

You havent had personal experience with Joe Duffy Motorrad.
    You are just jumping on the band wagon and trying to say that because I had good experience with them,that I know nothing or dont know bad workmanship.

I know my bikes and I can say that so far Joe Duffy Motorrad have done good by my bike,given the amount of stuff I had done to it and some of the issues in getting the electronices to work with certain items I put on the bike.

OK, I concede to that. You are 100% better placed than me re Joe Duffy. But I am still not convinced that you can extract VALUE from €180 per hour labour. If you value the free coffee, the large white tiles, the receptionist's greeting then that's fine.

I am convinced now though that you are knowledagble about bikes and workmanship, but believe you may be an exception to the typical BMW regular customer.

Ive no personal experience with that BMW dealership.That was be unfair and wrong to do so.

You don't need to experience €180 per hour in every BMW dealer to feel it is poor value.

• Advertisement

So why not just tell me they won't fit it? Grand. No problem. I had the tyre in my hand, no point asking for a price match. For the record I bought my most recent tyre off them.

OK, I concede to that. You are 100% better placed than me re Joe Duffy. But I am still not convinced that you can extract VALUE from €180 per hour labour. If you value the free coffee, the large white tiles, the receptionist's greeting then that's fine.

I am convinced now though that you are knowledagble about bikes and workmanship, but believe you may be an exception to the typical BMW regular customer.

Its not about any of that,I get certain service parts of them cheaper than I could get them off the internet.
    They look after me up there.

And for the record,my bike was not bought from Joe Duffy Motorrad at all.

I lean alot and I like to mess around with my bikes,Im not afraid to get stuck in and get dirty with them either.

This whole "more money than sense" talk is absolute rubbish in my situation.
    Im savvy with my money and im sensible too.

At the end of the day,I love my bikes and aint afraid to try new things with them.And I will allways give credit to companies who do good by me.

Its not about any of that,I get certain service parts of them cheaper than I could get them off the internet.
    They look after me up there.

And for the record,my bike was not bought from Joe Duffy Motorrad at all.

I lean alot and I like to mess around with my bikes,Im not afraid to get stuck in and get dirty with them either.

Cool. I have no experience re parts prices, but you should drop your bike in for a standard service for the craic and see what the bill is. Don't think you'd be happy!!

Edit - Fcuk sake stewy you edit faster than a S1000! I retract my Money > Sense for you. Apologies.

Cool. I have no experience re parts prices, but you should drop your bike in for a standard service for the craic and see what the bill is. Don't think you'd be happy!!

Edit - Fcuk sake stewy you edit faster than a S1000! I retract my Money > Sense for you. Apologies.

I know the service prices.;)

They did 1st major service for me.
    Gary @ Mototuning did the last service for me,and hes currently mapping and dynoing the bike for me.
    Bit more timing adjustment and some fettling and hopefully be north of 200bhp.

Anyway Im not here to argue,life is too short for all that stuff.

I know the service prices.;)

They did 1st major service for me.
    Gary @ Mototuning did the last service for me,and hes currently mapping and dynoing the bike for me.
    Bit more timing adjustment and some fettling and hopefully be north of 200bhp.

Anyway Im not here to argue,life is too short for all that stuff.

Jaysus you will eat rear tyres with that power. Enjoy :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

AS IS USUAL you have no clue what the hell you are talking about.

You didnt deal with the Motorad Department so dont be talking through your ar%e.

You come on to this forum and all you do is stir up crap and cause fights.

Go and do something usefull like riding your bike and learn about road conditions.

Ive had it with you and all the crap and rubbish you post here.

You really need to wind your neck in and cop on here on this forum.
    Stop ruining threads and trying to create arguements with other bikers to suit some sort of agenda you have.Several threads you have done this on now.

Take a chill pill dude :)
    Now there are too many assumptions in your post.
    1. There is no way for you to know if I did or did not deal with JDM, I did so what you wrote here is called defamation, Oxford reference of defamation:
    ''the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny''
    2. I do not stir up crap, that is your opinion, again see above for defamation.
    3. I ride my bike all the time.
    4. That is your opinion, in my opinion I do not post rubbish. As far as I know we still have freedom of speech in this country, you disagree with me and that's fine, however just like I am not stopping you from posting your opinions so you should not stop me too.

Best regards,
    Live

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I have had and continue to have experience with Kearys in Cork. As a former BMW owner I found them next to useless for anything except sales of new motorcycles and I mean "Sale". Their trade in prices were not even in the ball park. Their only redeeming feature was their coffee and nibbles. As the motorcycle sales are in the same premises as the BMW car sales, access to the coffee machine was free gratis. As I said at the start I continue to have experience with Kearys. Each time that I bring my wheels to Lee motorcycles for tyres, I walk to Kearys (100 mtrs) and avail of their coffee and nibbles. Well you have to, do'nt you :D It's nice to slum it sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

180 quid an hour is hilarious. With the amount of 16/17 reg BMW bikes floating about they must be cleaning up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

batman_oh wrote: »
    180 quid an hour is hilarious. With the amount of 16/17 reg BMW bikes floating about they must be cleaning up!

So loosing two customers through mistreatment wouldn't make a blind bit of a difference. They simply don't care about their customers because in their own opinion there's no negative side of it.

Take a chill pill dude :)
    Now there are too many assumptions in your post.
    1. There is no way for you to know if I did or did not deal with JDM, I did so what you wrote here is called defamation, Oxford reference of defamation:
    ''the act of defaming; false or unjustified injury of the good reputation of another, as by slander or libel; calumny''
    2. I do not stir up crap, that is your opinion, again see above for defamation.
    3. I ride my bike all the time.
    4. That is your opinion, in my opinion I do not post rubbish. As far as I know we still have freedom of speech in this country, you disagree with me and that's fine, however just like I am not stopping you from posting your opinions so you should not stop me too.

Best regards,
    Live

You are some man for posting rubbish,because your last post was absolutely pointless and clueless and directly aimed at me,and I know it was.

And yes,if you look at the threads you post on,you do stir up things on purpose.You pit biker against biker.Its been noticed that you do this,and its like you have an agenda here when you post on this bike forum.

So who did you deal with in the Joe Duffy Motorrad Department?.........thats the actual motorbike department up there.

What bike was it?
    What was the problem?

Please do tell me,cause Id love to know.

Blade1 asked you aswell,and you have yet to answer him too.
    blade1 wrote: »
    What was the problem and what did they do?

So please do tell us all here.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Play by the rules or I'm locking this. Any time a discussion happens about X garage is rubbish and Y is great - it ends in tears.

Zascar wrote: »
    Play by the rules or I'm locking this. Any time a discussion happens about X garage is rubbish and Y is great - it ends in tears.

Yep,sad buy true,which is unfortunate.

batman_oh wrote: »

Well compared to the Japanese machines and their pricing,its alot of bike for the money.
    Ducati and BMW will do well from the Japanese spec and pricing mistakes this year.

Once the BMW is out of service warranty,then a goood indy mechanic or do it yourself is the way to go.

The mechanic in Cotters (Stewart) is BMW Motorrad Germany certified mechanic,he used to work for Joe Duffy BMW,so he knows his stuff when it comes to the Beemers and servicing them.Has all the BMW diagnostic equipment too.

He did a bit of work for me on the S1000rr there recently,and the lad did good too.

3a00071a-2601-46a0-85c5-6cee02cc2982_zpsikklrilp.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have crossed most bike shops off my list of people who work on my bikes.
    I've had trouble with people since my first bike(Honda 70) back in 1988.

Only had it a few weeks when the new chain and rear sprocket that had been just fitted by them came off and broke some bits on the bike.
    Gave it back and told them to fix it.

6 weeks later and after calling in every week, still not fixed so flipped the lid and grabbed your man by the neck and told him give me my money back now.

Just recently I needed a new staunchion put on an upside fork.
    I gave it to a lad that had not long started out on his own after been with a dealers for years.

He cross threaded the staunchion when tightening it and it got stuck half way in so it wasn't fully in and tight against the o ring inside.
    Hence,the first bumpy road I came to, the fork oil started pissing out.

There are some good mechanics out there but also a lot of guys that don't seem to care or will cover up something if they fùck up.

Same with cars.
    I actually wouldn't bring my car to anyone I know in my area.

I have crossed most bike shops off my list of people who work on my bikes.
    I've had trouble with people since my first bike(Honda 70) back in 1988.

Only had it a few weeks when the new chain and rear sprocket that had been just fitted by them came off and broke some bits on the bike.
    Gave it back and told them to fix it.

6 weeks later and after calling in every week, still not fixed so flipped the lid and grabbed your man by the neck and told him give me my money back now.

Just recently I needed a new staunchion put on an upside fork.
    I gave it to a lad that had not long started out on his own after been with a dealers for years.

He cross threaded the staunchion when tightening it and it got stuck half way in so it wasn't fully in and tight against the o ring inside.
    Hence,the first bumpy road I came to, the fork oil started pissing out.

There are some mechanics out there but also a lot of guys that don't seem to care or will cover up something if they fùck up.

Same with cars.
    I actually wouldn't bring my car to anyone I know in my area.

Same here,couldnt service the car myself due to lack of time and it was in need of an oil change.
    Good indy mechanics garage down the road from me,the chap that runs it is eastern european.
    They do some job and the prices they are charge are alot cheaper than alot of irish indy garages.

Well known irish tyre company crowd wanted 99 euro for a service on my car,this particular local garage did it for 70 euro.Same oil to the same spec of my car and same spec of oil filter and air filter used too.

So I suppose whether it be a car or a motorbike, its horses for coarses.You have to shop around or do it yourself.:)

That's it.
    Do most stuff myself but sometimes need someone to do the odd thing.
    Another time on a Saturday night I had to track down the owner of a bike shop in Cork after I got stranded after they had my bike all day long and broke down even before I got out of the city.,
    Found out where he lived and called around 7.30pm and told get out and fix that fùckin bike before I explode!!
    Again bought the bike off them a few weeks earlier.

I'm usually the quietest man on the planet!!:pac:

• Advertisement

That's it.
    Do most stuff myself but sometimes need someone to do the odd thing.
    Another time on a Saturday night I had to track down the owner of a bike shop in Cork after I got stranded after they had my bike all day long and broke down even before I got out of the city.,
    Found out where he lived and called around 7.30pm and told get out and fix that fùckin bike before I explode!!

I'm usually the quietest man on the planet!!:pac:

:pac::p

:pac::p

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I've had good experience with Sean in JDM, not many people I'd rather have servicing my bike. But I've had bad experience overall with jd, bought 2 bikes off them and they tried to charge me twice for add ons. A call to bmw Ireland sorted it out asap and guy I had problems with is gone. Thing is, if you're charging top money, it should be top service. I never got a second bike, never any available in about 6 years of going there.

Glad to be going to mototechnic now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've had good experience with Sean in JDM

And that's my one good experience with them.

I thought my clutch was junked and the bike was off the road (again). JDM is my nearest BMW dealer and believe it or not their price on a new clutch was comparable with even an indy mechanic.

I got the bike over (a boxer clutch is going to set you back the guts of a grand or more).. The mechanics could find nothing wrong with the clutch or master cylinder, after a few hours I got a call to ask me to "hang on, Sean will be here later in the afternoon and he'll have it sorted".

Early in the afternoon Sean rings, a few questions later he says "right come over and collect your bike.

Long story short, a few months previous I'd dropped the bike when I had no dope rope on my disc lock and air had gotten into the hydraulics.

An hour later I was riding the bike home and it only cost me the price new hydraulic fluid for the clutch.

Kudos for Sean.. But the other lads had the bike for most of half a day and never identified the fluid problem.

Kudo also to JDM who didn't charge me service time, but I've a feeling they knew I was at the end of my tether with them by this stage.

Seanie is a wize old fox.Known him a long time now.
    He used to run GP Motorcycles under the bridge at Connolly Station all those years ago.
    Hes a very good bike mechanic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

+1 on Seán

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Got to admit I'm conflicted about all of this,  and BeeEmm's in particular.

I rode various models from 1989 up to 2007, all used,  some from UK,  many from dealer's in Germany. About 20 BeeEmm iirc.  Having trained as a bike mechanic in the UK I did all my own spannering, but left that behind a long time ago as working on bikes for a living is inclined to kill your love of them.  I made the decision to keep the interest and work at something else instead. 

And I do wonder if that's not a factor in what people perceive to be issues of customer service etc. Bikers,  by nature are incredibly attached and sometimes very knowledgeable about their bikes.  You almost never see that in the car world.  This can be a two edged sword :  I remember one young apprentice changing a front tyre on  Gold Wing and the customer standing nearby and looking over his shoulder the whole time.  This is most infuriating.  And not conducive to being amicable as it implies a distrust by the customer of the mechanic.  (And yes, I admit,  mechanics are fallible &  human at the same time).

Now in the great JDM and Kearys debate I have only the direct experience of close friends,  and to describe it as mixed is the best I can come up with.  I've seen some awful experiences of both which,  frankly,  I cannot excuse.  But I also know people who've had positive experiences and that is what baffles me.
    I mean how can there be such variance in the experience in such a small and specialist market ?
    And the only very vague link I can see is the difference in the amount if money spent.  The more spent does seem to fare better.  But in all cases the sums are by no means small at all... 

How this manifests itself at the mechanic's bench escapes me though....the mechanic should neither know nor care other than to do the best job possible.

And I had a great experience in Kearys last week on a test ride to the extent I'm churning how to justify the €€ involved.  But I'd be lying if I didnt say these stories didnt play on my mind....

Outside of that the other issue I have is not a dealer one,  but a factory one.  I did find some aspects of the machine quality,  well frankly,  poor.  Performance,  agility,   the riding experience was great,  and addictive. It's easy to see why they sell in such numbers:  they do truly sell themselves.  But paint quality &  finish was awful,  and corrosion very evident -  and this on a 162 plated demo bike.  Depressing is not the word for it.....and reminded me why I sold my GS1200 all those years ago,  and why I switched brands then....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

And that's my one good experience with them.

I thought my clutch was junked and the bike was off the road (again). JDM is my nearest BMW dealer and believe it or not their price on a new clutch was comparable with even an indy mechanic.

I got the bike over (a boxer clutch is going to set you back the guts of a grand or more).. The mechanics could find nothing wrong with the clutch or master cylinder, after a few hours I got a call to ask me to "hang on, Sean will be here later in the afternoon and he'll have it sorted".

Early in the afternoon Sean rings, a few questions later he says "right come over and collect your bike.

Long story short, a few months previous I'd dropped the bike when I had no dope rope on my disc lock and air had gotten into the hydraulics.

An hour later I was riding the bike home and it only cost me the price new hydraulic fluid for the clutch.

Kudos for Sean.. But the other lads had the bike for most of half a day and never identified the fluid problem.

Kudo also to JDM who didn't charge me service time, but I've a feeling they knew I was at the end of my tether with them by this stage.
    It's no surprise, I know lads that know sean for 40 years and they say he's very good.
    Seanie is a wize old fox.Known him a long time now.
    He used to run GP Motorcycles under the bridge at Connolly Station all those years ago.
    Hes a very good bike mechanic.
    And Dave who used to work in GP works a couple of hundred meters away form JD on St. Margaret's road across from Aldi

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's no surprise, I know lads that know sean for 40 years and they say he's very good.

And Dave who used to work in GP works a couple of hundred meters away form JD on St. Margaret's road across from Aldi

Yeah I only bumped into him there just before Christmas,never knew there was a bike shop down that laneway opposite Aldi.

I remember him as a teenager working down in GP with Sean and John all those years ago.

Theres an SP2 in daves bike shop,that i was looking at,but its seen better days,needs a fair bit of cosmetic work to me it good again.

• Advertisement

Lads,slightly off topic here for a second.

Big thumbs up to Danfay Yamaha Ireland.
    Ordered in some parts for the R1 on Thursday afternoon,and they came in this morning.Thanks to Dave out there for sorting me out.
    Happy with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement