Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile home as primary resident while renovating house in own site

Options
  • 17-03-2017 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, looking for information. My partner and I have been declined mortgage recently and will need to look for another accomodation before June this year (roughly 2 months). We had issues with our landlord and it went to the PTRB. We agreed to just move out this June 2017. We could not find a place to rent in the area as we have 4 dogs (nobody seems to allow this anymore) and we are not going to get rid of our dogs as they are our babies. What we are planning to do is buy a site with an existing cottage and (needs full renovation inside) and put a mobile home behind it as primary residence until we get the house functional or renovated (maybe in 2 years time). We are hoping the property has services (private well and power). The mobile home we are looking at is double glazed and with heating. The property is in a rural area in Cork. Do we need planning permission for putting the mobile home? The other option we have is rent to own properties but i haven't seen any here in Cork only in Limerick. Please note my partner is working in the area we want to stay in and I work in Glanmire. Any thoughts, information any assistance in highly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

pamkobi wrote: »
    Hi all, looking for information. My partner and I have been declined mortgage recently and will need to look for another accomodation before June this year (roughly 2 months). We had issues with our landlord and it went to the PTRB. We agreed to just move out this June 2017. We could not find a place to rent in the area as we have 4 dogs (nobody seems to allow this anymore) and we are not going to get rid of our dogs as they are our babies. What we are planning to do is buy a site with an existing cottage and (needs full renovation inside) and put a mobile home behind it as primary residence until we get the house functional or renovated (maybe in 2 years time). We are hoping the property has services (private well and power). The mobile home we are looking at is double glazed and with heating. The property is in a rural area in Cork. Do we need planning permission for putting the mobile home? The other option we have is rent to own properties but i haven't seen any here in Cork only in Limerick. Please note my partner is working in the area we want to stay in and I work in Glanmire. Any thoughts, information any assistance in highly appreciated.

You won't need pp for a mobile on your own site. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

You won't need pp for a mobile on your own site. Best of luck.

Yes you will. The planning application for the renovation of the site would normally include the use of the mobile home during the works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

<snip>

Mod: Do not advocate illegal behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think there is a temporary planning that is valid for 24 months.
    Be sure to use a good quality, insulated mobile home, not a summer holiday unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,560 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

As you can see I live in Cork and I've seen many people do this and they never wrote it in their planning notice about having a mobile home on site!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

I know in Ireland there's a tendency of "ah sure, it'll be grand" but we don't allow that in A&P. The answer to the OP's question is "yes, you do need planning permission", not "no one bothers complying with the planning law, so why should you".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

As you can see I live in Cork and I've seen many people do this and they never wrote it in their planning notice about having a mobile home on site!

If you spend all that money buying a home, moving it there and connecting services to it. The last thing you need is the council telling you to move it or get a fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pamkobi

Water John wrote: »
    I think there is a temporary planning that is valid for 24 months.
    Be sure to use a good quality, insulated mobile home, not a summer holiday unit.

Thank you for info. We looked at several mobile homes and they are double glazed with radiator heaters. It's crunch time for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pamkobi

I know in Ireland there's a tendency of "ah sure, it'll be grand" but we don't allow that in A&P. The answer to the OP's question is "yes, you do need planning permission", not "no one bothers complying with the planning law, so why should you".

We haven't viewed the property from the inside but already emailed the auctioneer for viewing but we have seen the site. It will need a lot of clearing even before we can put mobile home. By doing it this way it will give us our own property with no big mortgage but hoping to refinance for the renovation--if this is even possible. The other option is a log cabin or house. Any thoughts? And thanks for the ingo

Mobile home is a temporary dwelling, whilst cabins are not.
    Not just double glazing but good insulation is NB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,560 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

newacc2015 wrote: »
    If you spend all that money buying a home, moving it there and connecting services to it. The last thing you need is the council telling you to move it or get a fine.

Well I never heard of it happening and If I was building I wouldn't bother if it was going to cause me more trouble!

That might depend on the niceness of the neighbours.

The OP can view all the planning applications for Cork online and see do any of the PP seem similar to what they are looking for.

Advertisement