Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Redirect dead Eir landline to mobile/VOIP?

Options
  • 17-03-2017 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Recently I helped my parents migrate away from Eir phone and broadband to just using PAYG mobiles and Three unlimited 4G broadband on a Huawei B593s-12 router, resulting in a €40pm saving and increasing broadband speed x20 fold.

My parents want to get their landline number back, is there a way of getting Eir to redirect calls to this landline to a mobile number without having a contract line? Presumably not, but what if my parents got Eir mobile or meteor SIM plans?

And if thats not possible, should it be possible to port their dead number to a VOIP provider, and what hardware would they need to work with the Huawei router?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

magher wrote: »
    Recently I helped my parents migrate away from Eir phone and broadband to just using PAYG mobiles and Three unlimited 4G broadband on a Huawei B593s-12 router, resulting in a €40pm saving and increasing broadband speed x20 fold.

My parents want to get their landline number back, is there a way of getting Eir to redirect calls to this landline to a mobile number without having a contract line? Presumably not, but what if my parents got Eir mobile or meteor SIM plans?

And if thats not possible, should it be possible to port their dead number to a VOIP provider, and what hardware would they need to work with the Huawei router?

IIRC, to retain your phone number it should have been ported before dispensing with the landline.
    I doubt it can be recovered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

The landline is connected to a local exchange, and line/port needs to be active in order for your parents to use it. Numbers are generally recycled after 6 months also. You will need to reactivate the line with eir/Sky/Vodafone to get the CLI back.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭magher

The landline is connected to a local exchange, and line/port needs to be active in order for your parents to use it. Numbers are generally recycled after 6 months also. You will need to reactivate the line with eir/Sky/Vodafone to get the CLI back.

OK so I should be able to recover the landline with eir/vodafone/pure or any other landline provider right? Then how does it work to port from landline to VOIP then, and why can't I just port it straight to a VOIP provider?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

OK so I should be able to recover the landline with eir/vodafone/pure or any other landline provider right? Then how does it work to port from landline to VOIP then, and why can't I just port it straight to a VOIP provider?

You can't port directly to VOiP cos eir own the number, not your parents. You will need an active landline, and pay landline rental, to eir/Sky/VF in order to use the number again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

You can't port directly to VOiP cos eir own the number, not your parents. You will need an active landline, and pay landline rental, to eir/Sky/VF in order to use the number again.

There might be some difficulty getting the same number with the new activation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭slegs

You may be able to recover the landline as the physical number is generally linked to the physical address even if disconnected. Get one of the Eir/VFE/Sky etc operators to get Line reactivated. Try the one that doesn't force a contract. Then once active port the line to a Voip provider.

As mentioned before you should have done this before deactivating the line. It's not guaranteed to work now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eir will hold the number has idle for 366 days, sometimes a little longer. Then the CLI and LI are unlinked and the number may be taken by a new install.

Get a contractless broadband setup with Magnet, pay €100 to have it installed, number come back into service. Port number out to VOIP Provider. Cancel account. Will cost you about €140 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Gmaximum

ED E wrote: »
    Eir will hold the number has idle for 366 days, sometimes a little longer. Then the CLI and LI are unlinked and the number may be taken by a new install.

Get a contractless broadband setup with Magnet, pay €100 to have it installed, number come back into service. Port number out to VOIP Provider. Cancel account. Will cost you about €140 all in.

I think this might be a bit easier said then done as if it's on an unbundled magnet exchange they'll associate one of their own numbers with it. If they use a WLR option I'm not sure if they activate the voice element of the service so may not give you a number. I realise the number is there regardless once the line is activated but trying to get that out of support would be a challenge I'd imagine

The easiest way would be to reactivate the line with Eir. Assuming it's still cabled to the exchange there's no activation fee but you would be on the hook for 12 months rental unless there's a promo with eir retail at the moment

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

As Ed E says, you may be able to get the number back but it will take a lot of effort and phone calls.

Once installed, you can port it to a VoIP provider and once ported the landline will become inactive.

Watch out for contracts and do your research first. Eir could stop the port on their end due to contract restrictions.

Bare in mind you have fourteen days cooling off period also. A port takes 24-48 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

I managed this before quite a few years ago by just porting the number into a Blueface account before the line was ceased.
    As pointed out though, it's likely too late now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement