Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef UK 2017

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,589 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

sporina wrote: »
    in fairness Saliha is some woman for one... a doctor, a mum, MC champion - and who knows what else - and what age is she?
    At the beginning of last night's show, her family were saying she would get home from night shifts in the hospital and then spend all day practicing her cooking. Just hearing that exhausted me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

twill wrote: »
    Oh I agree, Saliha is great. When she was first on I think she said she worked in the area of gastroenterology and wanted to present the kind of food that would keep people healthy. I like her food because it offers a kind of alternative to western meat-heavy food that, while it uses a lot of spice, it's subtle and tasty-looking. I always liked her attitude and she's been the most consistent in the competition.

tbh I didn't rate her till much later in the comp - but I remember that she made one big boo boo (she made reference to it last night but can't recall it) - and since then she completely upped her game..

She made a more diverse range of dishes - less curries and more fish/chicken/meat dishes with a european twist - granted there was always spice in some form but "spice" is more than indian/pakistan - it features in a whole range of cuisines eg african, middle eastern etc..

and to be fair - while I had more respect for Steve in his skill, techniques etc... Saliha's food appealed to me more - I want to taste her Rose chicken lol.. but that's a personal thing..

But she rarely made mistakes - such a focused lady - think back to her on the Braai - same height as her and she was on it for 4 hrs.. and the lamb was superb apparently..

yeah - i think she deserved to win (as much as I love Steve) - but she shone brighter last night

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

in fairness Saliha is some woman for one... a doctor, a mum, MC champion - and who knows what else - and what age is she?

She liked to remind us of this every time she opened her mouth as well, she is 29 I think.

She was a one trick pony through the whole show through, at least when Ping won she showed much more variety while still using her Malaysian knowledge to great effect, though she did introduce me to quite a few ingredients that I had not heard of and would want to use in the future.

She has got a torrent of abuse online since she won last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Xenji wrote: »
    She liked to remind us of this every time she opened her mouth as well, she is 29 I think.

She was a one trick pony through the whole show through, at least when Ping won she showed much more variety while still using her Malaysian knowledge to great effect, though she did introduce me to quite a few ingredients that I had not heard of and would want to use in the future.

No one deserves that, it's a cookery competition ffs.
    I agree that she was the best on the day though, and she really upped her game over the last few weeks, so I am happy for her but I am still disappointed for Steve, thought he let himself down on the day with his choice, the green pasta and the steak looked awful together.

how was she a "one trick pony"? she cooked a massive variety of dishes - yeah with some form of spice (from a lot of different cuisines) - and as the competition went on they became even more fusion like - just like ping - all her dishes were varied but still had some mauritian presence..

and based on your point one could say the same about Giovanna - nearly all of her dishes were italian influenced.. and Steve's British etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Can somebody please explain Alisons elimination.

Because I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

how was she a "one trick pony"? she cooked a massive variety of dishes - yeah with some form of spice (from a lot of different cuisines) - and as the competition went on they became even more fusion like - just like ping - all her dishes were varied but still had some mauritian presence..

and based on your point one could say the same about Giovanna - nearly all of her dishes were italian influenced.. and Steve's British etc..

The spice was not from a lot of cuisines, it was all mostly the same Indian staples, actually one thing she did not use was some unusual or obscure spice, it was all basic, she used some middle eastern/Asian herbs but again all very basic.

Giovanna showed a lot of variety as did Steve, they provided a wealth of different flavours in their dishes and used more meats and seafood, Saliha basically offered different dishes that would of largely tasted the same, her use of more unusual vegetables was interesting, but was hardly commented on by John or Greg.

The spice was not from a lot of cuisines, it was all mostly the same Indian staples, actually one thing she did not use was some unusual or obscure spice, it was all basic, she used some middle eastern/Asian herbs but again all very basic.

Giovanna showed a lot of variety as did Steve, they provided a wealth of different flavours in their dishes and used more meats and seafood, Saliha basically offered different dishes that would of largely tasted the same, her use of more unusual vegetables was interesting, but was hardly commented on by John or Greg.

At the start she used a lot of "indian" spices but then she totally diversified - spices from india, north africa, turkish, middle eastern etc and loads of different dishes ranging from not just veggie but with meats and seafood; chicken, lamb, etc...

Just because something has a "spice" it does not make it "Indian" and she is not indian anyway.

Giovanna cooked mostly italian - loads of wine.. loads of pasta - octopus - but essentially italian flavour profiles

Steve cooked mostly british food and the odd bit of Japanese

But thats ok - the dishes need to make sense and be technically correct and delicious.. and show skill and imagination etc... and the contestants need to show that they are learning and improving..

The 3 finalists hit all those notes.. (one more than others though)

In individual challenges, she excelled when others did not..

And when she cooked she got it right nearly all of the time when others had flaws so she was not eliminated when others were..

Man she was soo focused.. she was like a machine.. the guest judges lovvvved her food too (esp the rose chicken)

End of the day, she was the best and she won - deservedly so (as much as i hoped Steve would win)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Contestants for Celebrity Masterchef have been announced - http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40379763

Series starts in August.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Henri Leconte - where on earth did they dig him up out of??!!

He was one of my favourite tennis players back in the day, and an absolute hoot - I expect him to model himself on the Keith Floyd school of cookery :D

Haven't heard of half of them, which means I have heard of the other half of them - which is a bit of a record for me!

• Advertisement

seems not too long ago since celeb MC was on?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Henri Leconte - where on earth did they dig him up out of??!!

He was a character alright. Hopefully he's still has that side to him.

I could have sworn Vic Reeves was on it before.

Nine days until Celebrity Masterchef starts.

https://twitter.com/masterchefuk/status/894565417926131712

Celeb Masterchef starts tonight at 8 on BBC1

https://twitter.com/MasterChefUK/status/897714570415841281

Celeb Masterchef starts tonight at 8 on BBC1

https://twitter.com/MasterChefUK/status/897714570415841281

at last something to follow - have missed these shows over the summer.. nice to have something light to follow as oppose to the regular crime drama stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Never knew Vic Reeves was just a stage name for Jim Moir!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Nice to have a new series.RTE will be showing this one around 2022:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Henri Leconte is an irritating twat... Hope he goes out early. Like about 8:17 tonight preferably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Is it a kitchen or a blacksmith's forge?

Is it a kitchen or a blacksmith's forge?

the steak and aubergine dish looks soo gross..

• Advertisement

Ah here.... HOW is that not Vic Reeves???

Is he an identical twin or something?

(Just tuned in to the recording)

ETA... ahhhh!

Oh Jesus, did SH really put a fried egg on his plate??? :eek:

I really REALLY want to scrape Julia's hair up into a net!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,923 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Paraphrasing but..

Chef: "Stephen, very good but you need to listen.."
    Stephen: "Yeahyeahyeah.."

Quite! :)

OMG, I have to go to that bbq restaurant place!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

OMG, I have to go to that bbq restaurant place!!!

I could do a lot of damage there.

The other place... the cod looks good, but the rest doesn't wow me.

Those chefs they had for the pro kitchens were lovely - especially the female one!!

Julia I'd say would test the patience of a saint.

I could do a lot of damage there.

The other place... the cod looks good, but the rest doesn't wow me.

Oh that gnocchi.... i could eat a platter of that!

Henri is definitely the ringer of this episode!

• Advertisement

Ah here.... HOW is that not Vic Reeves???

Is he an identical twin or something?

(Just tuned in to the recording)

ETA... ahhhh!

it IS him.. vic is just a stage name lol

Advertisement