Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef UK 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

"You cannot rrrrush perfection"

:D

There's an awful lot of pomegranate seeds going on here tonight.....

Oh Holy God

Billy

WTF???

:eek:

(I've made it onto tonight's quarter final)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Isn't there a quarter final every Friday? Until they've collected enough bodies to make up two semi-finals / have a knockout week?

tonight was the 2nd quarter final..

who's Billy?

sporina wrote: »
    tonight was the 2nd quarter final..

who's Billy?
    The big Scottish guy.

Started with a mega fish'n'chips, then crashed and burned when he had to do veggie.

How in the name of **** could that critic not taste chocolate in Faye's tart??? It was 3/4 made up of it! Delighted to see her go through.

Really sorry to see Sharon go, she could have been verrrrrrry interesting. Also sorry to see Alex go, he looked like he could have had a lot of promise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Felt really sorry for Billy, would like to have seen him go further but what a bizarre choice to cook for veggie option. He should have stuck with something simpler and done it well. Think he realised that in hindsight too. Really excited about Steve, not too excited about peas, but what he cooked looked amazing.
    Thought the critic was unnecessarily picky in some cases, it was as if he was looking for something to pick up on. There's no way he couldn't taste chocolate in Faye's tart. And saying he'd like more fire in the doctor's dishes is a personal choice rather than something wrong with the dish. But John and Greg seem to have ignored those remarks anyway, was pleased Faye got through.

Ones to watch for me so far are Steve, Faye and the Irish girl (Alison?) but reckon Steve's a winner...

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Some great cooking and presentation tonght! Brilliant, actually! I love to see how well the winners and runners-up of previous MC's are doing.

Tomorrow night is the 1st quarter-final - at the later time of 8.30 p.m.

There is a quarter final every Friday during the heats, so this week was 2nd one.
    Starts with a new batch of 8 on a Wednesday and another batch of 8 on a Thursday and whittled down to 3 on Wed and 3 on Thurs for the quarter final on the Friday.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    There is a quarter final every Friday during the heats, so this week was 2nd one.
    Starts with a new batch of 8 on a Wednesday and another batch of 8 on a Thursday and whittled down to 3 on Wed and 3 on Thurs for the quarter final on the Friday.

very well explained!

twas v poor tonight..

the talent is not as good as other years.. but there are a few - will be interesting to see how they develop.. like Fran, Steve and the Irish las (Linda?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I thought tonight's cooks were very good, especially compared to last night's batch!! :eek:

Finally, someone who could bring three plates at once to the critics, instead of the secret masterchef elf delivering the third one off camera!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Is it just me or was Gregg Wallace flirting with Lyndsey all the time? Auditioning his fifth wife...

It always amazes me how some contestants don't know to put down plates in front of female judges first.

I read an article during the week that the dishes are only tepid due to timing.

amtc wrote: »
    Is it just me or was Gregg Wallace flirting with Lyndsey all the time? Auditioning his fifth wife...

It always amazes me how some contestants don't know to put down plates in front of female judges first.

I read an article during the week that the dishes are only tepid due to timing.

isn't that day gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Posy wrote: »
    ... Finally, someone who could bring three plates at once to the critics, instead of the secret masterchef elf delivering the third one off camera!
    He used to work serving tables.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I know; he told us at the beginning about when he was a waiter and used to drive the chefs crazy asking them loads of questions about what they were doing.

Shame did did so poorly tonight. I thought he was one to watch. :/

If DJ Lindsey disregards the judges telling her to stop giving herself too much to do next round, she'll be out on her ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

I thought on Wednesday's episode it was the first time there wasn't at least 1 contestant who knocked it out of the park. On Thursday's Dj Lyndsay was the one but she nearly shot herself in the foot by doing too much.

Also why the hell was she dressed like she was going to the nightclub while running around the kitchen?

As above she needs to listen or else she could be out.

I do like her though.

Still loving this series as well.

What's the difference between the woman who cooked chicken, potato, leek and sauce, and the woman who cooked chicken, potato, carrots and sauce?

Apart from that the woman who cooked the leek (or didn't, more to the point) got praised and through, and the woman who cooked the carrots didn't?

I'm genuinely puzzled :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Why do people persist in shoehorning vegetables into desserts?

v poor tonight - its like a wild card night - like one of the other nights.. i think it was last Wednesday too actually

sporina wrote: »
    v poor tonight - its like a wild card night - like one of the other nights.. can't rem which one though
    I think it was Wednesday last week (watched them all in one evening) - they were one worse than the last!

That schnitzel looked like a grease-fest :eek:

None of them covering themselves in glory tonight, that's for sure.

What on earth is lavabread sauce? :confused:

Lots of flabby looking fish going on tonight.....

• Advertisement

Big wodges of raw venison :eek:

No thanks!!!

What's the difference between the woman who cooked chicken, potato, leek and sauce, and the woman who cooked chicken, potato, carrots and sauce?

Apart from that the woman who cooked the leek (or didn't, more to the point) got praised and through, and the woman who cooked the carrots didn't?

I'm genuinely puzzled :confused:

As far as I can remember, the woman who didn't get through had a poor sauce, so it was all a bit more average.

I think only Lorna and Fumbi should have got through tonight.

Was that Juanita from last year among tomorrow's judges?

twill wrote: »

Didn't notice, I'm afraid - I tuned out after noticing that this is the last week of the rounds - into the knockouts next week - yayyy! :D

They definitely started with the high and worked their way downhill this series.

As far as I can remember, the woman who didn't get through had a poor sauce, so it was all a bit more average.

I think only Lorna and Fumbi should have got through tonight.

oh i hope so... didn't catch that - i obs. lovvvvvved her - i will never ever forget her "strawberry garden" desert - it was thee most beautiful piece of culinary art I have ever seen.. and she did a great pork dish; John and Gregg were blown away by it..
    I think she made a boo boo with her last dish but it was her only flaw.. like your man Billy was also in the final and he was a lost cause in my opinion for an early stage

I was genuinely gutted when Juanita went out. The pressure got to her a bit in the outside kitchens, but if she could just have held on a bit longer, I think there's no question she would have won the competition. When she was able to cook with time to prepare beforehand, her food was incredible.

Still holding a grudge against Natalie (?) for the sweet potato chocolate mousse. That's unconscionable.

I was genuinely gutted when Juanita went out. The pressure got to her a bit in the outside kitchens, but if she could just have held on a bit longer, I think there's no question she would have won the competition. When she was able to cook with time to prepare beforehand, her food was incredible.

Still holding a grudge against Natalie (?) for the sweet potato chocolate mousse. That's unconscionable.

It wasn't even a 'mousse' in the end!

Something Welsh made with seaweed I think... didn't look very appetising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laver_(seaweed)

Very mixed bag this evening..... nothing inspiring me so far.....

• Advertisement

Shauna definitely the one to watch from tonight.

Poor Selwyn looked like he might have a heart attack :eek:

Advertisement