Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef UK 2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,504 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Oh poor Selwyn :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭sporina

really glad that the ex tatoo artist got thru too.. i think he could have potential - he's so eager and elements of his food have been good

Nobody tuned in tonight???

Lorna seems to have a winning look about her.... I'm not mad on figs (or any desserts for that matter, and that sounded SWEET) - but it looked gawjus.

Is it my imagination or has Brodie now cooked 3 curries? He'd want to be broadening his repertoire a bit sharpish methinks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭unichick

Watched & glad Shauna & Fumbi got through. Shauna is definitely irish?

Not mad about Lorna but she's a good cook. Can take or leave Brodie. Felt sorry for Louise. Shame she's gone.

unichick wrote: »
    Watched & glad Shauna & Fumbi got through. Shauna is definitely irish?

Not mad about Lorna but she's a good cook. Can take or leave Brodie. Felt sorry for Louise. Shame she's gone.
    Agree with all of the above!

They raved so much about the flavour of Fumbi's cheesecake it would have been very mean not to put him through just cos he forgot a sheet of gelatine.

I thought I got a hint of American accent in Shauna, no? Definitely didn't hear any Irish in her!

And yes, sorry to see Louise go, although she was such a "home cook" that I wonder how much further she could really have gone? Lorna's dessert looked proper professional in comparison to all the others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Shauna has that I'm irish but lives in the US accent. So glad fumbi went through..really like him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I've been wondering if Shauna was Irish too, but also hearing Aussie/Kiwi accent?
    I like him, but Fumbi hasn't really done much cooking, ultimately produced 2 desserts with mistakes, can't remember what he cooked for his 2 courses, but obviously the taste and flavours must be amazing since he is impressing the judges.
    Disappointed for Louise, think it was a bit unfair that she didn't get though, she cooked more consistently. And Brodie's food looked a mess, but no one pulled him up on the presentation!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭onlyonpaper

For info; Shauna is a Sligo native living in Hampstead in London. Full name is Shauna Kelly from the Strandhill area. Article about her participation in local paper.

For info; Shauna is a Sligo native living in Hampstead in London. Full name is Shauna Kelly from the Strandhill area. Article about her participation in local paper.

gosh I was sure I could hear a US/Canadian accent but not Irish..

maybe she has traveled a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

Shauna and Lorna the 2 stand out ones from this week. My memory fades quickly but it seemed like there were 2 standouts in weeks 1,2 and 4 and then week 3 was mediocre.

looking forward to refreshing my memory later on this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Don't forget the quarter final schedule is different - it's on tomorrow, or today, at 7.30, and I think again at 8.30.

I always wince slightly when contestants say that "my mother was a completely useless cook" :o

That's quite the Irish fry-up that Shauna is planning :eek:

I had forgotten how good the early contestants were. I'm rooting for pretty much everyone on the blue team so far.

twill wrote: »
    I had forgotten how good the early contestants were. I'm rooting for pretty much everyone on the blue team so far.
    Don't forget the other Irish girl will be up in the red group - she was pretty impressive in week 1!

I wonder did they maybe like Giovanna's dish? :confused:

:D

God help the others having to follow that!

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Don't forget the other Irish girl will be up in the red group - she was pretty impressive in week 1!

Yes, she's my other favourite. :P
    I always wince slightly when contestants say that "my mother was a completely useless cook" redface.png

That's the second time Lorna said that. :(

Ooooohhhhh..... dunno about that fry.... bit of overkill maybe?

(or undercooking, apparently :eek:)

That's quite the hunk of beef that Lorna served!

And sauce you could eat with a knife and fork.

OK, feel I should/have to stick up for Shauna - but she really messed up there :o

Also the raw lamb was a bit of a faux pas.

But they're both fantastic so hoping that someone in the next round fecks up even worse to sneak them through.....

(in the promo Fumbi looks like he was his usual disorganised self)

No sign of the other Irish girl (can't for the life of me remember her name - Aisling?)

• Advertisement

Mmmmm..... i don't even like seafood and my mouth is watering at Alison's menu!

Still can't get over Faye's accent :D

Is it completely beyond the beyonds that if someone's favourite childhood memory is a pie, then they cook..... a pie :confused:

Why do they all have to mess with their memories to the point that they're actually practically unrecognisable?

Hmmmm, nobody fouling up so far......

This will be a VERY hard one to call!

For such a lengthy description of her menu at the start, Alison's plate is surprisingly modest in reality.

Yayy, Shauna lives to cook another day :D

Really thought Fumbi would go ahead of Lindsay.... very surprised by that decision.

Good cooking all round. Really looking forward to the rest of the week.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Yayy, Shauna lives to cook another day :D

Really thought Fumbi would go ahead of Lindsay.... very surprised by that decision.

Good cooking all round. Really looking forward to the rest of the week.

the two who left, their food was inedible.. (one, the lamb was raw - the other, twas way over salted) Fumbi got thru by default..

some serious competition.. The drummer/Tiramisu lady's creation was class - she is so creative - not sure if she is the best by any means but she sure is creative

giovanni is my fav so far

Giovanna is a friends husbands cousin! Really hoping she does well. Relieved Shauna got through. Can't warm to Alison. Fumbi I thought would lose out to Lindsey. Some great contestants left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Apart from the shine out stars Alison, Fay and Steve, I had forgotten there were some really great cooks from previous weeks, there was such a slump over the last few heats. It's going to be really hard to whittle them down without losing some favourites along the way. Glad Shauna has another chance. Knew Fumbi would get through ahead of the two weaker ladies from the blue team. They are just willing him to pull it off. No room for slip ups now, will be down to how they cook on the day.
    Alison is still the one to watch for me, and Giovanna but lots of them are my favourite, going to be a great few weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭tinpib

I really like Alison's self-assurance, it's refreshing. Can be a rare thing on these shows especially amongst female contestants. It's usually OTT self-deprecation or fatalistic pieces to camera.

Fumbi, a.k.a. the black Boris Johnson, was blessed to get through. He needs to nail the next one.

Overall I had a rough idea who would prob finish towards the bottom and who would prob finish at the top and I wasn't far off.

Delighted Shauna scraped through, hope she ups her game again.

Steve stands out for the lads, the other lads on it are a bit mediocre so far.

Lorna, DJ Lyndsey, Alison, Giovanna all stand out.

We saw a quick preview of Fumbi getting lashed out of it in the professional kitchen. That Scottish chef coming into the studio has been a total knob end on this before.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Apart from the shine out stars Alison, Fay and Steve, I had forgotten there were some really great cooks from previous weeks, there was such a slump over the last few heats. It's going to be really hard to whittle them down without losing some favourites along the way. Glad Shauna has another chance. Knew Fumbi would get through ahead of the two weaker ladies from the blue team. They are just willing him to pull it off. No room for slip ups now, will be down to how they cook on the day.
    Alison is still the one to watch for me, and Giovanna but lots of them are my favourite, going to be a great few weeks :)

lorna has been pretty flawless and she is so calm so will do well in group dynamic..
    but i don't see much passion in her - or her food..
    whereas I feel Giovanni oozes it all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

They've all upped their game amazingly. Not sure if I like the idea of messing with traditional meals to such an extent!

Advertisement