Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Completing build - a couple of questions...?

Options
  • 17-03-2017 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭

I finally got round to this....!

Firstly, a huge THANK YOU! to K.O.Kiki for his (her?) contributions to my specification thread a few months back. Without that input, it wouldn't have happened. I'm very grateful.

I changed the spec a bit, and indulged myself a little! :)

I put it all together today and it's purring like a cheshire cat. (The Corsair 750D Airflow case is a thing of beauty, IMHO. I'm too old for 'loud' gaming cases. The Corsair is restrained elegance.) All fans, DVD drive and SATA drives are working fine.

The lighting on the side of the video card and on the NXT cooler, is gorgeous. (The case is glass sided)

Anyway, questions.......

1. I have installed an M.2 SSD stick on the card that came with the motheboard - see attached pic. I have ordered another SSD stick. But, I don't have another card to attach it to. Must I buy another card for this, or is there somewhere else on the MB it can be placed?

2. Can I go about dealing with BIOS, OS and loading software, using a wireless mouse and keyboard? In other words, do I need an installed OS to use these, or can the MB run them?

3. Can someone tell me (in baby steps) what is the procedure once monitor and mouse/keyboard are connected? Do I HAVE to deal with the BIOS?

4. Can I transfer Windows 10 Pro from my old machine?

5. What order must I do things in now?

(Annoyingly, I've just discovered that the monitor cable socket on the new video card is different to the one on my old computer. So, I have to buy a new cable. Where can I buy this over the counter in Dublin?)

Thanks as always.

D.

IMG_6299.JPG

IMG_6301.JPG

IMG_6302.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

1. You went with the Asus X99-PRO?
    There should be an M.2 slot on the bottom-right corner:
    vAyndhX.png

2. Most mice & keyboards should give you basic functionality in BIOS

3. BIOS will probably be needed in order to set drive boot priority, and maybe fan speeds.
    Everything else can be done in OS (e.g. for overclocking you can use Intel XTU)

4. Try this guide for moving your Windows 10 license: https://win10faq.com/move-your-windows-10-license-to-a-new-computer/

5. For easiest

I buy all my cables online, as the prices in shops are ridiculous.
    AmazonUK have consistently low prices. Elara.ie maybe too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks.

Can I install the OS and then deal with the BIOS afterwards?

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks.

Can I install the OS and then deal with the BIOS afterwards?

D.

I only ever deal with BIOS if my (usually unformatted) drive isn't showing up during install process.

Ok.

Mild state of panic.

The cable I have (from my old Dell pc and Dell monitor) does fit the new computer's video card.

I connected it to the DVI-1 port on the monitor.

The computer boots up fine - all lights and fans, DVD drive and HDs purring away- but the monitor is blank. ☹️

Any ideas?

Should I have a cable that is VGA at the monitor end?

Help!

Thanks.

D.

Does the monitor have a "source input" button?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply.

It's a Dell that's a few years old. Can't see a source input button.

The MemOk! LED next to the RAM is continuously red.

I removed the RAM and reinserted it. Then I pressed to the button next the LED to reset it. The computer shut down and rebooted. The LED flashed red for a minute or so, but then reverted to solid red.

The monitor remained blank throughout this.

Very disheartening.

Thanks again.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Linking the original thread or posting the spec you bought would be helpful to the rest of us assisting.

Did you buy the Gigabyte 1060?
    http://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/7RKhP6/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-windforce-oc-6g-video-card-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd

What model is the dell?

This is the build.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/WcYHQV

Wonder if the MemOk! LED lit up could be a CPU prob?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

D.

Ps. 250GB SSD is not yet installed.

TLDR:
    Flashing MemOk = Board Testing Mem
    Solid MemOk = FAILed testing

Manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA2011/X99-PRO/e9707_x99-pro_ug_for_web_only.pdf?_ga=1.145714230.30829637.1487522504

Your memory ISNT on the QVL but very similar SKUs ARE.

Common mistake: Is CPU power connected? In your picture it IS NOT.

See Motherboard edge below radiator.
    412118.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Gehad_JoyRider

ED E wrote: »

Common mistake: Is CPU power connected? In your picture it IS NOT.

I Once pull in my fx8350 cpu out of its socket while attached to the heat sink :pac:

We all make mistakes. Just trying to make the Op feel better.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I had noticed the CPU power and connected it. Makes no difference.

Here are a few more pics. Note the red LED top right under the fan and next to the RAM.

Are you saying that this RAM won't work with this MB? I thought I had been using the compatibility filter on PC Partpicker correctly.

I note also that the GPU fans startup when I boot up, but stop a few seconds later. Is this normal?

I think I may have to go to the PC doctor next week. If anyone can recommend one (Dublin Southside, preferably) then please do so.

But, hopefully, it will be sorted in the meantime.

Many thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Maybe try it with just two of the Ram sticks installed. Also, I had a similar issue with my first build not so long ago and I just didn't have the RAM fully pushed in, was being too gentle afraid to break something.

Have you got a HDMI lead to try?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Once you're 100% certain everything is connected correctly I would definitely boot with a single stick of ram, check the CPU socket for possible bent pins or boot the PC outside the case to rule out a short.

There is a two digit LED display at the bottom of the MB.

It is for Error Codes.

It is showing code number '53'.

According to the Asus MB manual, codes 50-53 are described as; "Memory initialisation error. Invalid memory type or incompatible memory speed."

Have I made an expensive error (though I thought PCPartpicker said it was ok.) or, if this is now the problem, is there a fix for it?

Thanks.

D.

412116.JPG
    412117.JPG
    412118.JPG
    ===
    412158.JPG
    412159.JPG
    412160.JPG
    412161.JPG
    There, thats easier.

Steps are:
    BIOS
    OS

As you're failing post you wont get any display yet.

Instructions:
    Take out the graphics card
    Take out the SSD Daughter Card
    Take out all memory

Insert a single DIMM in slot marked DIMM_D1.
    Boot and test. It wont work, but should get a QCode indicating no display.
    If that fails, pick the next DIMM and try that.

ED E wrote: »
    Instructions:
    Take out the graphics card
    Take out the SSD Daughter Card
    Take out all memory

Insert a single DIMM in slot marked DIMM_D1.
    Boot and test. It wont work, but should get a QCode indicating no display.
    If that fails, pick the next DIMM and try that.

Thanks for that.

I took the machine to a PC guy today. He confirmed what I was told on another board. It would appear that RAM incompatibility is my problem. That RAM is strictly Z170/Z270 it seems. So, it's no use to my MB or my CPU, despite what PCPartPicker said. Therefore, no point in swapping out the MB for a compatible one, as I'd have to change the CPU too.

So, I'm going to change the RAM.

The one upside is this. I bought it two weeks ago for €480 from MindFactory. It's now €698.00!!!

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/64GB-G-Skill-Trident-Z-DDR4-3000-DIMM-CL14-Quad-Kit_1033416.html

So, I'd happily sell it for €450 and save someone almost €250.00.

But, first I'm going to try and return it to MindFactory and buy compatible RAM.

If you have any suggestions for RAM, I'm all ears.

Many thanks.

D.

Update:

I have run the onsite RAM configurators for 4 of the bigger RAM manufacturers.

For those who might like to use them, here they are...I assume they are more reliable than PCPartPicker.

Crucial: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/upgrades?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-upgrade-_-us-upgrade-device

Corsair: http://www.corsair.com/memory-finder

G.Skill: https://www.gskill.com/en/configurator

Kingston: https://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search/Devices?DevicesType=Motherboard

For my ASUS MB, only G.Skill and Kingston offer 16Gb modules. The other two only offer 4Gb and 8Gb configurations.

I'll probably go with Kingston 2666.

D.

May be sorted.........

Someone suggested I flash the BIOS.

I downloaded the latest version, released only last week, and ran it. Computer the rebooted and few times and, eventually, code on MB changed from 53 to A9 (Setup Ready)

So, I just connected the monitor........and I'm seeing the BIOS screen.

MB still showing A9, which is good.

But, only 2 x 16GB RAM listed - so, total of 32Gb on the screen, not 64Gb.

Only two of the fans showing also. There are five in total including the two CPU cooler fans, and excluding the 3 video card fans.

So, any way of making the RAM show up? Would it change when I install the OS?

Everything else seems fine.

Many thanks.

D.

Ok.

2 RAM sticks were in the wrong slots. I have a lot to learn! :rolleyes:

Almost there..........OS and we're off!

Think I'm seeing most of what I should be seeing on the monitor now.

D.

• Advertisement

For the record, been running like a Porsche with a keyboard for a few days now. I cannot get over how fast this thing is! :)

Initially, RAM was running at MB default of 2133Mhz. Engaged XMP and now running at the full 3000Mhz.

The way it moves around files in Photoshop and Capture One is incredible.

Extremely happy with it.

Thanks again to K.O. Kiki et al.

D.

Advertisement