Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Surge

Options
  • 17-03-2017 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

Action RPG The Surge is developed by Deck13, developer of decent Dark Souls-style game Lords of the Fallen.

Releasing May 16th.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

that looks class, might pick it up :)

They oversold Lords of the Fallen prior to it's release and I was disappointed by it in some ways but I liked it in others.

This looks like they have gone souls inspired route again but removed it from the traditional fantasy setting which could work out really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That looks awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

While i'm not a fan of the punishing systems Dark Souls and the Souls like games have (I play for entertainment, not to die over and over until i learn a pattern), i'd be willing to give this a go, but again, all depends on how hard they make it. I like the idea, the style (I much prefer melee to ranged combat), but it's the difficulty that will be the decider on this.

• Advertisement

Cowboy had some frustrations with the first few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I didn't like Lords of the Fallen at all but I've been quite excited for this for several months now.

May 16th Release isn't it?

I didn't like Lords of the Fallen at all but I've been quite excited for this for several months now.

May 16th Release isn't it?

Yip

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Added to the watch-list!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks awesome, am very interested now, even though I suck at these types of games.

• Advertisement

Seems a very fair and balanced opinion based on what he got to play, as I said earlier I liked Lords of the Fallen but felt let down by it because of the hype they tried to build up pre-release mentioning dark souls influence etc but with this it looks like they've let the game game speak for itself. Hopefully the issues he's worried about like the weapon move sets and bosses are not a problem in the full game.

Will probably pick this up on launch, need a change from overwatch, quite hyped for it

Just thinking about it now a little more and they've actually gone and taken a mechanic from the original dark souls game and adapted and made it a big thing in their game haven't they, the tail cuts in dark souls!!!! Remember those?

EDIT: That was actually something I loved and hated in DS hated because I missed one and had to do a new play to get one for the all weapons achievement but loved because you could make something from cutting off a bosses tail.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I saw the trailer for this a couple of days ago and I thought it looks interesting. I'll wait till I hear some reviews, but I'm sold on the premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I must admit that I hadn't heard much about this one until a few weeks ago, but it's certainly piqued my interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

• Rumours online look extremely promising for this game

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Total Biscuit and Cohh Carnage are, amongst others, gonna be streaming this today. In fact, Cohh is already underway: https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

Watched the three hours of TB's stream, looks really cool, after he defeated the first boss the difficulty spike shot up! which is common with these games I'm guessing, he was sweeping everything aside up too that point mostly, I think I'll wait , I can see myself getting frustrated easily with this game.

• Advertisement

Still set for launch for me, only watched 10 minutes or so of streaming and the response was positive.

Full reviews depending of course, but it looks fairly solid.

Yeah and the devs don't seem to be out in force this time talking up the game to a point were it could never deliver on the level they said it would with lords of the fallen. Letting the game do the talking for the most part.

Lords of the Fallen wasn't awful by any means , it had it's problems but I enjoyed I. I was let down because it didn't live up to the hype which I naively thought they were being accurate about.

I don't think we talk about Focus as a publisher here enough or at all , they seem to be one the few to take chances and publish AA games from smaller teams these days.

• This is out tomorrow??

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    This is out tomorrow??

Yeah, though I've just finished downloading it. So prob midnight tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah, though I've just finished downloading it. So prob midnight tonight?

11 bells on steam - just bought it there myself :)

Is there a review embargo ? Not seeing any yet.

• Is there a review embargo ? Not seeing any yet.

Just checked it out:
    I believe review copies have gone out since last Friday however reviews are not allowed to be issued until tomorrow morning.
    Expect to see them 12AM US time

Is there a review embargo ? Not seeing any yet.

Totalbiscuit has a Thoughts Vid on it. Just skip first couple mins, as he's just apologising for sound issues and his voice due to Chemo.

Decent Review From IGN

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Mostly decent reviews from what i've seen. 7.5 average or thereabouts.

Advertisement