Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Surge

Options

Comments

No pricing on argos again , though the code is there. Might nip over there in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

Looks ok but i hated Lords Of The Fallen. Probably pick it up in a Steam sale at some stage though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Took it for a quick spin last night.
    Only got my new power core to actually start adding components to rig

I'm very interested to see where the story leads to, love me some futuristic skynet haywire troubles.

Controls aren't to bad at all. Dodge is more of a quick jump outta the way, no duck and roll. If you run towards an enemy and use R2 (vertical attack) you do a kind of roll into the enemy.

Targeting specific limbs for either bonus damage or harvesting a specific part or weapon is interesting. Took a few attempts to get used to cycling through the targeting options, but it's picked up fairly quickly.

Weapons wise, I've only used the one you pick up at the start, which is a club with a blade on it, and the preorder bonus weapon which is a staff. Both attack differently so hopefully there is a wide range of attack animations for the other weapon types.

Speaking of the preorder bonus, the implant you get beeps and when near a pickup (resources or story tapes) it gets louder and faster and the controller rumbles like mad.

One other small thing i liked about it: when in the medbay, there is some really nice background music being played. Reminds be a little of Fallout.

• Is this in Argos?? It's listed with no price.
    Smyths have it stocked for 59.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

So anyone know any good deals for this on the pc anywhere ?

• Coming up on Argos now
    48.99 for PS4 / Xbox 1
    Not bad

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Lone Stone wrote: »
    So anyone know any good deals for this on the pc anywhere ?

€40 here

https://uk.gamesplanet.com/game/the-surge-steam-key--3200-1?ref=itad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

played it for a few hours last night and again this afternoon.

Overall, it's not bad.

Combat flows nicely, some sync-kills get caught in the walls or detritus.
    Upon dying, level progress remains but most enemies respawn.

There's almost no tutorial.
    Which is both good and bad, after years of being spoiled and being spoonfed directions in other games, you're pretty much on your own from the outset which can be daunting. You're expected to know what to do without direction, it's 100% vague, just wandering around will eventually give you the answer but yeah, could've been done with some more info thrown in for the player.

The levels are a bit odd. They feel like they were supposed to be part of a multiplayer game in layout - 3 or 4 routes from each room, no dead ends, that kind of thing.

Implants and upgrades - they are on the right route with these although the implants cluttering up the inventory and not explaining properly what they do or if you should delete them or not isnt well presented at all.
    Upgrades are done somewhat better, in that you literally just left click on something to upgrade it for more damage or armor etc..

It's lacking an awful lot of explanation on basic stuff like this imo.

Crashed a few times on me too, so i'm gonna leave to gather dust for a while before i have another crack at it.

TLDR - it's mostly well done but has a lack of new player guidance.

5.4 gb install on Xbox :eek:

That can't be right, can it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

5.4 gb install on Xbox :eek:

That can't be right, can it?

120gb day one patch when you launch it

played it for a while there really enjoying it so far looks lovely on the pc, no performance issues but it has crashed like 3 time's already. And that first boss good lord >_< i cant beat it. I went with the tanky rig and my main weapon was one thats fairly slow so he's a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭DarC_Kn1ght

The spinning digger is the worst enemy in gaming history!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

120gb day one patch when you launch it

LoL I can just see people looking at the 5 gig download and going "Aw yes" and then when that's done and it starts the 120 gig, there jaws drop :pac:.

I haven't played it yet but loaded it just incase and I got to the new game screen with no prompt for additional download out side a 250mb patch. You'd expect a game like this to be 25-30gb easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Sci Fi Dark Souls. It seems alright so far. Just getting my head around upgrading etc.

My only bugbear is the ambient music when out and about doesn't seem to match the combat. It's just flat and when you do a slow mo kill seems to detract from the instance. A minor annoyance obviously but one I keep noticing.

• Lone Stone wrote: »
    played it for a while there really enjoying it so far looks lovely on the pc, no performance issues but it has crashed like 3 time's already. And that first boss good lord >_< i cant beat it. I went with the tanky rig and my main weapon was one thats fairly slow so he's a pain in the ass.

I selected technician so I move alot faster so dodging is more applicable.
    I'm not sure how helpful this is because of that reason but to beat him you need to do the following:
    Attack the legs (it will swing a sword so be prepared to dodge or attack, it will also stomp it's feet but you can time a dodge to avoid it)
    Eventually it goes into an emergency stance and starts firing rockets, as soon as he starts his attack with the rockets you need to run towards him and make them hit him, once this happens he will cease attacks momentarily and become vulnerable and you can start using you main attacks again which damages his main health bar

You need to do the above about 3 times I think, depending on what gear you have acquired and what level you are at also. I was at about power level 22 before attempted this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

The spinning digger is the worst enemy in gaming history!

Lost count of how many times I died to it.
    And the amount of Tech Scrap lost because I was too close and it flattened me.
    :mad:
    Sci Fi Dark Souls. It seems alright so far. Just getting my head around upgrading etc.

My only bugbear is the ambient music when out and about doesn't seem to match the combat. It's just flat and when you do a slow mo kill seems to detract from the instance. A minor annoyance obviously but one I keep noticing.

After playing for a few hours last night, this is probably the first Soulslike game I'll be sticking with. Finding combat really nice. Proficiency level 6 on single handed and 3 on the heavy's. It's a little light on info in relation to upgrading and constructing stuff, but it's only a small gripe for me.

I really hate those bastwards who
    bum rush you out of nowhere. They're easy enough normally, but those surprise attacks
    . :mad:

I'm liking the level design. Shortcuts everywhere, which are needed, especially when trying spinny digger thing. I was afraid that I'd have to kill everything over and over again (which would turn me off the game) but with everything being connected it's all good.

Tip: Smash everything.

Just finished the second boss, must say im really enjoying it.

• Just finished the second boss, must say im really enjoying it.

Did you kill the digger!?

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Did you kill the digger!?

Eventually, and its not the last you see of them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Some good word from Digital Foundry about the PS4 Pro port of the game.
    Very tempted to get it now as it's 60FPS.
    Got bored quick with Lords of the Fallen. Hopefully this will hold my interest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still very tempted too get this but I may wait a while.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So having played a bit of this at a friend's on his PS4, I splashed €40 on it for PC. I always hated the aesthetic and "everything is brown and foggy" of Dark Souls and the first game running like total tripe on the PC certainly didn't help my opinion on the series.

However, The Surge, with it's clear colours and proper draw-distance and no fking fog all over everything as well as being a near future sci-fi instead of rehashed and murky fantasy has opened up the door to the "Souls-Like" genre to me. I'm not terribly far in and the "Ah FFS!" that is frequent when you make a dumb mistake in these sorts of games is still very strong in me, but I'm finding that Playing about 40 minutes at a time and then switching to some different sort of activity means I am less murderous and that my concentration was gone already, it really was for the best :D

Annoying that after picking the Rhino Rig at the start, I don't have the schematics for the entire thing. I'm sure I'll find them as time goes on, but I was looking forward to stomping around in my big clunky mech suit :D

Went with the other rig myself only started an hour ago and liking what I've seen so far. Feels looser than lords of the fallen or any of the From games. Way more responsive. I haven't hit a boss yet as I've been stubborn about leaving the area with out a full set of gear just 3 more of what ever material that is to get :pac:

Is there a % chance for different things to drop depending on if you chop armored vs unarmored :confused:

EDIT: Who else let him free wheel down that ramp at the start :D

Definitely free wheeled down that ramp :D

In all seriousness I think thats the first game I've played a disabled character, and credit to deck 13 the way they reveal it and the security etc react on your arrival is as matter of fact as you can get. I thought I was sitting behind an able bodied person until I gained control.

Making *VERY* slow progress and dying stupidly many times, but I'm ok with that cause it doesn't feel like the game's cheating me, it's all my own stupidity. Found the first "dark" bit and as I was about to turn on the lights, queue one of those aforementioned stupid deaths and I said "ok, that's that for tonight" and started playing Warframe instead :D

I missed the first boss or maybe it was by design or bug? Came to an area where I took one look and my souls senses screamed boss fight. Inched forward and
    nothing happened so carried on through the door in the back down the dark stairs , heard someone calling for help a little ways on and was immediately smashed by him as I opened the door

So back I went , had no reason to be cautious on the way only this time
    the area I thought was a boss area was indeed now a boss area and I was duly smashed again

• Advertisement

So back I went , had no reason to be cautious on the way only this time
    the area I thought was a boss area was indeed now a boss area and I was duly smashed again

that exact same thing happened to me.

I just beat the 3rd boss big sister i think god dam, that was a intense battle indeedy.

But i find using really fast weapons like the dual blade type things are way more effective than a single rig or 2 hand weapon.

Advertisement